Summer announcements - 9.30am 1st May

Paul.Uni

33 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

NEW TOOLING LEADS THE WAY IN Bachmann’S SUMMER 2024 BRITISH RAILWAY ANNOUNCEMENTS

Bachmann Europe Plc today (Wednesday 1st May 2024) presented its Summer 2024 British
Railway Announcements, publishing details of new models that have been developed for its
Bachmann Branchline, Graham Farish, Bachmann Narrow Gauge and EFE Rail brands.
The anticipation for today’s announcements has been building since March when Bachmann
shared news of two new tooling projects that it is working on – the BR 12T ‘Palvan’ in OO
scale and the Anchor-Mounted Tank Wagons in N scale, for its Bachmann Branchline and
Graham Farish ranges respectively. This news signalled a changed approach to Bachmann’s
British Railway Announcement policy, and today details of the initial models to be produced
from this new tooling have been confirmed. Where before items included in the British
Railway Announcements were scheduled to arrive in the three months after each quarterly
instalment, this may now not always be the case for the new projects announced in this
manner. Whilst the Anchor-Mounted Tank Wagons will be arriving in shops later this month,
the Palvans will not be released until the turn of the year. It will also be late-2024 when the
new Bachmann Branchline BR Mk1 BSO, FO and RB coaches arrive in shops and again, details
of the first models were released today after this tooling project debuted at last weekend’s
Model World LIVE event.

The previously announced project to develop a new model of the BR Class 25 Diesel
Locomotive for the Bachmann Branchline OO scale range has now reached its conclusion,
allowing Bachmann to publish details of the first eleven models from this new tooling suite
which will arrive in shops this Summer. Covering the Class 25/1, 25/2 and 25/3 locomotives,
each model will be available in standard or SOUND FITTED format, or with a motorised
roof fan and tinted windscreen glazing in the award-winning SOUND FITTED DELUXE
format. For those looking for a smaller locomotive, the LMS Fowler 3F ‘Jinty’ Steam
Locomotive and the Class 03 Diesel Shunter will be of interest – both return to the Branchline
range in a selection of liveries and each with a choice of standard of SOUND FITTED
versions.

Another new tooling project set for delivery this Summer is the Graham Farish N scale Class
450 Electric Multiple Unit, and a new model in the contemporary South Western Railway
livery has been added to the previously announced South West Trains version. Further new
tooling variations appear on the 102 Ton TEA Bogie Tank Wagons, catering for wagons built
with conical ends, and there are more releases of the venerable BR 20 Ton Brake Van to add
the finishing touch to goods trains.

Bachmann has shared the identities of the locomotives and wagons which will lead its new
Bachmann Narrow Gauge NG7 range, with the complete launch range due to arrive with
Bachmann stockists in the next three months. Unveiled in mid-April at the Statfold Model
Railway Exhibition, NG7 marks Bachmann’s entry into the British 7mm Narrow Gauge market
and the launch range comprises the Quarry Hunslet Steam Locomotives, Dinorwic Wagons,
and complementary buildings and accessories from Bachmann’s Scenecraft brand.

The Scenecraft range will once again broaden this Summer and new models in OO scale
include a canal lock, two types of smaller station building, and for the modern scene, a GSMr
Telecom Cabin and Monopole. The popular Ffestiniog Railway series is also expanding with
new models of Minffordd Waiting Room, Tan-y-Bwlch Footbridge, Boston Lodge Engine Shed
and Harbour Station Goods Shed all joining the 4mm scale range for use on OO9 and OO
scale layouts and dioramas.

The final two new tooling announcements today are for the EFE Rail OO scale range, the first
of which is the Plasser 12T General Purpose Crane. A new model designed and developed
for EFE Rail, the Plasser Crane has been a regular sight on the railway network since the
1970s, making it a fitting subject for EFE Rail’s first piece of ‘On Track Plant’. The final new
model is the GWR ‘Bloater’ fish van which is modelled in OO scale for the first time. Built
for fish traffic from 1916, the EFE Rail models cover the S8, S9 and S10 diagrams and include
options for the ‘Bloater A’s which were fitted with dual braking systems. Lastly, whilst the
Adams O2 has previously been released by EFE Rail, new tooling variants have been added
for these OO scale locomotives, which now appear with the original, open coal rails – this
option is available for both the mainland locomotives and Isle of Wight versions.

The full range of products unveiled today are featured in the Summer 2024 British Railway
Announcements Catalogue, this catalogue is published exclusively with the Bachmann Times
– the official magazine of the Bachmann Collectors Club – and Club members receive copies
of all four British Railway Announcements catalogues each year. Full details including projected
release dates for all of the items announced today can also be found at www.Bachmann.co.uk.
Bachmann products can only be purchased from Bachmann retailers, a full listing of whom can
be found on the Bachmann website.

image.png

image.png 

image.png 

image.png 

image.png 

image.png 

image.png 

image.png 

Thanks for posting this Andy. It's very helpful. 

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, davidw said:

Those mk1s were tempting until I saw the price I'll stick with Hornby 

Bare in mind that those are the RRP, and won't be the price in the shops.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, GordonC said:

even at the normal 15% off is still £58 each 🤔

Hardly surprising when 4 wheel wagons are 30 quid plus each; cheaper options are often available e.g. Hornby Mk1s are around 40 quid each.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

Hornby Mk1s are around 40 quid each.

Not much consolation if you want blue/grey.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Blue 03s! Shut up and take my money!!

Very happy with that, next can we have another run of freightliner flats please?

Andi

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A couple of items of interest, but disappointed there are no more Bulleid coaches in BR(S) green and that there are still no green 47s with Sercks. Looking at their current approach though, it seems Bachmann needs to produce several liveries at one go and they may not think other liveries will sell at this time. Shame.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Could take a risk of waiting for further reductions. But by then they might all be gone!

Tempted by the Bloaters even though I've already got "enough" Parkside ones. Jinties and 03s are welcome as well. The only 03 I've got is an ancient Mainline one that must be getting on for being nearly 40 years old.

Jason

Watched the video and started getting excited when they announced class 350 in N scale and wondered if they would mirror that in oo scale. Sadly no and my thoughts of a class 101 in Strathclyde livery, new TTA / TEA variants in aviation fuel, 37 / 47 / 57 announcements or any new emus disappeared as I got to the end of the video. However, my wallet is safe and so glad of that having just ordered a batch of JNA wagons from Key World and awaiting to order 320s in OO scale.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, davidw said:

Those mk1s were tempting until I saw the price I'll stick with Hornby 

Try detailing and finishing a Hornby Mk1 to the standard of a Bachmann Mk1 and you'll soon see what extra you are getting for your money. And then add a close coupling cam.

You pays your money.......

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

5 minutes ago, puffmeister-general said:

Watched the video and started getting excited when they announced class 350 in N scale and wondered if they would mirror that in oo scale. Sadly no and my thoughts of a class 101 in Strathclyde livery, new TTA / TEA variants in aviation fuel, 37 / 47 / 57 announcements or any new emus disappeared as I got to the end of the video. However, my wallet is safe and so glad of that having just ordered a batch of JNA wagons from Key World and awaiting to order 320s in OO scale.

It can't be an N bonanza every quarter, more 47s will come I am sure, there's the whole Green and Blue period for them to go at with sound fitted models.  A 25/3 must be on the cards as well somewhere.

I breathed a sigh of relief today having comitted £500 to model trains recently in N.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Try detailing and finishing a Hornby Mk1 to the standard of a Bachmann Mk1 and you'll soon see what extra you are getting for your money. And then add a close coupling cam.

Oh absolutely, it's not me complaining about the price.

• Like 2

Mind you the mk1s  get the new bogies with pick ups .

Presume the interior mouldings have suitable cut outs across the numerous bulkheads to allow a circuit board to be installed.......

33 minutes ago, GordonC said:

For what I can see are models of the utmost quality - quite simply you get what you pay for, and if there wasn't a demand with enough people being prepared to pay that kind of price then Bachmann wouldn't be doing them. Even in N (the scale I model in) RRP for their excellent Mk1s is £47.95 and you will expect to pay over £40 a coach. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Also, Hornby can't seem to get the blue on blue & grey quite right.... Too dark for me.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, GordonC said:

or Blue/Grey that actually matches other manufacturers

That was my point. A horrible rendition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm surprised at a couple of Class 25 decisions - for the sake of changing a digit or two why offer 25057 in both pristine and weathered conditions - some modellers may have wanted both ex-works and work-stained examples. Also 25155 has been produced by another manufacturer. It's not like the Class of 25 was a small pool! Mind you, at least Bachmann have chosen Bsyp D7660 instead of doing a third version of D7661 (D7660 differed in having only one BR logo per side, on the driver's cabside, as per Class 24 D5026 & Class 27 D5389). I won't comment on D7672 'Tamworth Castle'.....!

For me the EFE Plasser crane is of interest, as I had been seriously considering the proposed Hattons model before it was canned. Assuming the usual RRP discount this should be available at around £76, which would not be that far above Hattons' anticipated £69.

The NG7 range may be very appealing to those who'd like to move up to 'bigger stuff' - maybe due to ageing eyesight! - but don't have the space for standard gauge 'O'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - good job the health insurance friendly society to which I belong (originally founded for LNWR staff but several name changes since then) should be shortly reimbursing a couple of my claims as the 'fishy on a dishy' van is very definitely on my list.  And the new POS variants are arriving in the correct livery with the right running numbers  'out of the box' although it would be a shame to buy just the one which is needed  when such a nice pair is on offer.

So definitely several somethings in it for me 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

I'm surprised at a couple of Class 25 decisions - for the sake of changing a digit or two why offer 25057 in both pristine and weathered conditions - some modellers may have wanted both ex-works and work-stained examples. Also 25155 has been produced by another manufacturer. It's not like the Class of 25 was a small pool! Mind you, at least Bachmann have chosen Bsyp D7660 instead of doing a third version of D7661 (D7660 differed in having only one BR logo per side, on the driver's cabside, as per Class 24 D5026 & Class 27 D5389). I won't comment on D7672 'Tamworth Castle'.....!

For me the EFE Plasser crane is of interest, as I had been seriously considering the proposed Hattons model before it was canned. Assuming the usual RRP discount this should be available at around £76, which would not be that far above Hattons' anticipated £69.

The NG7 range may be very appealing to those who'd like to move up to 'bigger stuff' - maybe due to ageing eyesight! - but don't have the space for standard gauge 'O'.

I spotted 25 155 duplicating a Heljan number, actually slight relief in that it helps narrow down the 'must haves'. The 25057 weathered/non-weathered is interesting, I guess it's easier to split a batch down into options than to have a separate number - essentially all versions of 25057 start off the same, but some get the weathering, some get the decoder, some get the fan servo & tinted glazing etc.

For the record, I have never purchased any version of Tamworth Castle in any of its celebrity liveries. It's filthy BR Banger Blue all the way for me 🙂

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

More Post Office carriages, yes please. And the 03 in BIS livery is a good idea, matches nicely with the Baguley-Drewry. I can see myself making a nice wee corner of a sand quarry on a layout with that pair. Narrow gauge appearing from off scene with loaded sand hoppers to load wagons the 03 can shuffle about. 

Slightly odd to be offering the new restaurant car in southern region green, but no other coaches to go with. 

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Agree, it's likely EFE have taken over the work Hattons had done before cancelling. Was tempted before so will be interested to see how it turns out.

• RMweb Premium

The N scale announcements were a bit light!  So much so that no one has even bothered with a separate announcement in the Farish section!

Maybe next time....

• Like 1