The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Bit of traffic about today regarding Star Wars so thought I might just drop this in, quite funny, well to me anyway.

Pertinent to the day and as creative as Weird Al has always been.  

My favourite of his is from an altogether different genre. 

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

... quite funny, well to me anyway

Yes it is. I didn't recognize it at first - not until it got to the "maybe Vader someday later" part of the chorus before I remembered it.

It's works well being faithful to the unique phrasing of "American Pie"

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather damp Charente.  It isn't actually raining at the moment but normal service may resume later. We will be off to the market to meet friends and see how  Beth gets on.  The fire has been burning alight but we will have to let it cool down today as the chimney sweep is due in the morning.  Not a lot else to report. 

Jamie

• Like 17

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 15:44, polybear said:

Post din dins and Bear goes for a Hilly Walk - despite the rain.  What happens?  Some complete T0sser drives thru’ a puddle at speed as Bear was walking past…… 🤬🤬🤬

And they were in a Fiat 500 with no oncoming traffic.

Rumour has it that A Certain Bear might just have called them a naughty word that rhymes with at least part of Sqn. Ldr Hunt…..

Did diddums get wet? Awww!

Absolutely NO sympathy from this part of the Alps!

You should have known better, Bear. Your mistake was (a) going out in the rain and (b) going out in the rain near Bear Towers, as - according to your various postings - you are surrounded by ne’er-do-wells, scrotes and other low-lifes.

You might as well have worn a sign reading DRENCH ME!

On 03/05/2024 at 17:48, Ozexpatriate said:

That's funny, so does mine. (It's always in Fahrenheit come to think of it.) 😉

It is tiresome just how frequently Chrome wants to update. It wants to do it again this morning - it feels like it is more than weekly now, which seems a bit over the top.

I never use any of the browsers put out by Microsoft, Google or Apple. I keep to Firefox which is readily and easily customisable, does what you want it to do and updates itself only rarely (i.e. only when really needed).

The updates on Chrome, Edge, etc. are really for their convenience, NOT yours.

On 03/05/2024 at 20:18, The White Rabbit said:

Printerinks is my bete noire of ink suppliers - sent me a cartridge which wouldn't work in my printer despite their website claiming it was compatible. Then refused to refund or replace. One of the times I wish I had a credit card, with the extra protection. GDPR was ignored by these skunks as well, unsolicited emails sent [several months] after unsubscribing (and getting an email to prove). I referred the *s to the commissioner. 

I absolutely loathe how HP and many other printer manufacturers make it difficult (if not impossible) for you to use cheaper cartridges (i.e. not theirs) in their printers.

There is one nasty little trick of theirs - used to get you to buy more cartridges than necessary - which is pretty easy to circumvent. That’s the “you are very low on supplies” <warning>. I found out, purely by accident (as I didn’t have time to get replacements), that you can safely ignore these warning and only replace the ink cartridge/toner cartridge when the print starts to fade - which is (depending upon what you print) a good 100 pages or so on from when you should have (according to them) “replaced the cartridge for optimal print quality”

On 04/05/2024 at 07:35, monkeysarefun said:

Every SUV and 4WD ute worth its salt here has a roobar, massive lights and a snorkel.  Outside the city I acknowledge that the bar and lights make a bit of  sense but I have no idea the thinking behind paying out $1000+ to add a snorkel on your shiny urban assault vehicle.

image.png.054b46d9d94f0c579f3157cd3ef36423.png

On 04/05/2024 at 07:41, jjb1970 said:

There's a whole hobby of Land Rover Defender enthusiasts in Britain who pimp up their vehicles to be able to compete in the Paris-Dakar Rally or operate with the SAS in Afghanistan so they're properly prepared to make the arduous trip to Tesco or the next Land Rover show.

Perhaps the owners of such vehicles are all Boy Scouts (or former Boy Scouts), y’know “be prepared and all that

It would be, of course, be uncharitable of me to opine that many of those making such purchases are gullible fools with more money than sense, ripe for the picking by some unscrupulous car salesman OR that they are pretentious prats who believe that spending LOTS of money will either elevate them to the ranks of Gentlemen of Quality or compensate for micro-genitalia…

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Pertinent to the day and as creative as Weird Al has always been.  

My favourite of his is from an altogether different genre. 

I played this Amish Paradise song a lot when I was building the shed - I really want to build another🙂

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, 

4 hours sleep, 3 hours sleep I needed that.

Ben the good Collie didn't move till I did, we've been on patrol, scattered clouds notalota wind, heavy dew. Ben had a good snuffle around, but didn't seem quite as enthusiastic as normal. He gone back to sleep now.

Almost time to head for the sailing club again.. but muggacoffee first.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This was overlooked:

flooding.PNG.b21adb122c78cfbe2d94ddde9a17ac88.PNG

I wonder whether this sign might have had more impact 

IMG_6540.jpeg.942674473c74aaf7065dba99685a04fb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Did diddums get wet? Awww!

Absolutely NO sympathy from this part of the Alps!

You should have known better, Bear. Your mistake was (a) going out in the rain and (b) going out in the rain near Bear Towers, as - according to your various postings - you are surrounded by ne’er-do-wells, scrotes and other low-lifes.

You might as well have worn a sign reading DRENCH ME!

Back at the top of The List.  Oh, hang on....you were already were.  In that case.....

INCOMING.......

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Back at the top of The List.  Oh, hang on....you were already were.  In that case.....

INCOMING.......

Watch Herr Doctarri it's a bunker buster!

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Reference the snakes post above, I was once flying a sortie out of Cyprus when my wingman announced that he had to recover to Akrotiri ASAP. I asked what the emergency was and he said that they had a snake in the aircraft. It turned out that his back seater had been finding his helmet uncomfortable and had taken it off to see what was wrong when a small snake had slithered out of it and dropped to the cockpit floor. After they had landed it took a long time to find the snake, which turned out to be fairly harmless, but that didn’t lessen the back seater’s horror at what had happened and since the front seater had a dread of snakes he hadn’t been too happy to think that one was crawling about in his aeroplane either.

Dave

I do hope the Aircrew bought the Ground Crew a very large crate of beer for sorting that one out....

ION....

Bear is wielding Mickey the Miele yet again; Lounge & Hall done - all to Mrs @grandadbobstandards.....oh, hang on.....Bear might just be being a bit reckless there.....

Now the stairs - oh joy....

BG

• Like 18

55 minutes ago, polybear said:

INCOMING.......

I take great pleasure in being at the top of The Bear’s list as it means:

1. That I am doing something right; i.e. annoying The Bear, which in my book Is Always A Good Thing.
  2. That it shows that I am a man of immaculate taste and refinement.
  3. That it allows me to indulge in a little “Cruelty To Polybears” - which is lotsa fun (and NOT to be confused with animal cruelty which is totally morally and ethically abhorrent - the perpetrators of which deserve the short, sharp, drop)
  4. Hours of innocent (and free) amusement - and all zero-calorie!
  5. Mucho Kudos amongst my fellow Gastronauts!
53 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Watch Herr Doctarri it's a bunker buster!

If he can find me - given my numerous residences and, thanks to the technological wonders of modern 3D printing, a plethora of absolutely-identical body-doubles.

So even if The Bear were to reach deep into his pockets (bunker busters are NOT cheap) chances are he’d end up blowing a 3D printed resin copy to smithereens!

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I take great pleasure in being at the top of The Bear’s list as it means:

1. That I am doing something right; i.e. annoying The Bear, which in my book Is Always A Good Thing.
  2. That it shows that I am a man of immaculate taste and refinement.
  3. That it allows me to indulge in a little “Cruelty To Polybears” - which is lotsa fun (and NOT to be confused with animal cruelty which is totally morally and ethically abhorrent - the perpetrators of which deserve the short, sharp, drop)
  4. Hours of innocent (and free) amusement - and all zero-calorie!
  5. Mucho Kudos amongst my fellow Gastronauts!

If he can find me - given my numerous residences and, thanks to the technological wonders of modern 3D printing, a plethora of absolutely-identical body-doubles.

So even if The Bear were to reach deep into his pockets (bunker busters are NOT cheap) chances are he’d end up blowing a 3D printed resin copy to smithereens!

As they say, pride cometh before a fall.

Look out, there's a Nemesis* about!

ION

I've been out in the garden, planting some bedding plants, but I gave up because a beetle (and possibly its friends and relations) was trying to make a home in my lug'ole!

* Not me, you understand, my role is more that of the prophetess in Up Pompeii....

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bit late on parade today due to having a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed. I had a quick look in earlier this morning, but then went straight outside to make the most of the sunshine and do a bit of gardening. Some more plants have been put in the front garden and I've also done a quick tidy up. Now sat in the shade of the front door enjoying a well earned muggertea. After dinner Max is due round, an afternoon in the workshop is planned. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I went to church this morning and as one of the churchwardens is away found myself doing a "few" extra jobs.  All was well in the end.

Looking in the freezer I found a chicken joint which needs eating so have decided to cook it.  It seems to be taking a long time to thaw and cook  in the oven so have delayed putting all the other things on.  Lunch may be a bit late as a result.

The nice thing is that it provides meat for a sandwich at tea as well as lunch and probably tea tomorrow.  Fortunately I like chicken, both hot and cold.

The garden is too wet again to do anything and the water hasn't drained out of the greenhouse so there is nothing strenuous to do today.  Last night I watched a free DVD which came with the May issue of a magazine, it had some nice film of things on strips of steel around Glasgow, Arrochar and Tarbet, Carlisle, Silloth, Alston, and North Wales, East Anglia etc.  It was a lot better than I had expected.

David

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1