RMweb

Next batch of Class 70's

Haven't had the chance to experience the Class 70 yet, but from all the 'Gen' reports throughout the day, they sound mighty hefty. A friend of mine noted they sound like a cross between a Hymek and a Deltic, with plenty of clag to boot from several sources.

With regards to the nickname, the current favourite on Anglia Gen is "Betty", this being reference to the E4 hit show Ugly Betty. "Betty 1", "Betty 2" is the current reporting system.

Now let me at 'em..!!!

there are some more 70's in the uk now, all listed on tops having arrived at newport?? docks. 70003/4/5/6 are all on british soil, registered in the heavy haul pool. so intermodal are only having 1 then?

That's it then; all six are in the UK now.

The next delivery (six more) won't be until the end of next year.

The rest of the order seems to have been deferred for the time being, due to the economic downturn. sad.gif

Well I got up especially early to get to Bristol to see it leave for Rugely PS... I took some pictures but due to the light they have come out terible. Decent camera on the christmas list now. My cheapo point and shoot is no good.. If anyone wants to see a fuzzy class 70 I shall put it on. rolleyes.gif

cheers

Popped over to Rugeley PS this afternoon, thought it was high time I got a look at one of these brutes. My initial take on the design was prety ugly, didnt like them at all. BUT.......having seen one close up, and the fact they resemble the class 58's, I am quietly impressed, and I think the design is going to grow on me. It is something different than a 66...lets be grateful for that if nothing else.

Bob

post-21-1259956977752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not especially keen on nicknames, but for some reason they remind me of the automatic taxi cab in the film Total Recall, so perhaps they should be called Jonny Cabs? (or was it Tommy Cabs?)

70 002 passed through Shrewsbury again today (and yesterday), just before 1200 IIRC.

• RMweb Premium

Nicknames are inevitable part of being a railway enthusiast, I must confess I quite them and at least they sound as if they have got a bit of grunt. After hearing them and seeing them face on..........definately a Cylon (from BS Galactica) Where can you find the power specs on these?

Nicknames are inevitable part of being a railway enthusiast, I must confess I quite them and at least they sound as if they have got a bit of grunt. After hearing them and seeing them face on..........definately a Cylon (from BS Galactica) Where can you find the power specs on these?

Here: http://www.freightli...l_Factsheet.pdf

Scroll over the tab that says Table of Specifications. It gives power as 2,750Kw. (It came out as 3,700hp using an online converter.)

This vid shows off the sound well I think (It's not mine!):

Hopefully they reach Southampton so I can get one!

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loving the sounds of the 70s now! I want to hear one come past Lincoln!!!!

Here is a clip of 70001 passing Northampton - if the advertising banner is accurate, it's a wonderfully ironic choice of music!:D

Here is a clip of 70001 passing Northampton - if the advertising banner is accurate, it's a wonderfully ironic choice of music!biggrin.gif

Wow, it sounds like something off Star Wars in that video! laugh.gif

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

How do you convert the TE in the spec to good old pounds?

Considering our feather weight axle loading compared with the US, the spec is prety impressive has to be said.

The highest starting TE loco we had until now was the Class 59 at 113'000 pounds starting TE. The class 70 comes out at 122'000 pounds, should be more than enough grunt for the trains we have here.

Putting things into perspective, an EMD SD90MAC has a starting TE of over 200'000 pounds but is obviously alot heavier.

Its all about having enough weight on those drivers!

The 70 is slowly growing on me but i cant help but think a livery without those curvy bits would sit much better.

A big pluss is the typical GE traction motor scream when at speed :D

That's it then; all six are in the UK now.

The next delivery (six more) won't be until the end of next year.

The rest of the order seems to have been deferred for the time being, due to the economic downturn. sad.gif

Hi,

In relation to the downturn in traffic and the arrival of 70001-70006, the following 6 Class 66's, about to come off lease, are being returned to HSBC Rail.

These are 66573, 66574, 66578-66581.

Freightliner was also looking into only using 70001-70020 in the UK, and 70021-70030 in Poland.

They are growing on me ever so slightly as well.

Regards, Michel

I have it on good authority that after the first twelve have been delivered, the body design will be changed from 70013 onwards to something more appealing. However Freightliner will retain the green livery, albeit with a redesigned emblem on the locomotive.

I managed to get a snap of the new design whilst it was on trials........

post-6880-12601342781145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have it on good authority that after the first twelve have been delivered, the body design will be changed from 70013 onwards to something more appealing. However Freightliner will retain the green livery, albeit with a redesigned emblem on the locomotive.

I managed to get a snap of the new design whilst it was on trials........

It took a second for the penny to drop....

Andy. :blink: