Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

That looks purrrfect  :O  for a "Western" But shall have see one in the shop before putting my hand in my !!!.................... hang on!! :help: .........................................come back wallet you shall be needed to open up some time. :onthequiet:  

Terry.

Guest Belgian

Am I the only one to notice that Dapol are raising the bar whilst Hornby is (or appears to be) lowering it?

I'm not a diesel man but 'Westerns' have always made me wonder whether I'm sane - they were one of the finest-looking and sounding machines of all time - and that model seems to do them full justice.

If you are reading this Dapol Dave - that's 'clever design' and the results prove it.

Jeremy English

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

For a moment there, I thought they could be made to roll up and down....... hmmm.... I wonder if......

DCC controlled please...... TVFIC

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent model, I'll wait for a maroon one to Champion, and a loop of fine wire through those lift rings should keep them safe until installed. If you make the loop big enough for your finger it might make them easier to push in too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Be warned, these are a pig to fit as they're about .75mm in diameter with a small tail which locates in the roof slots. I cut and lost the first one trying to turn it around for the best hold, there's 32 of them to do and there are no spares. I've suggested to Dave, in between bouts of profanity, that it may be wise for their approved spares agent, DCC Supplies, to stock up on these. Either that or there'll be plenty spare as many people won't fancy fitting them. I'm only moaning because I've got to give this model back to Dave on Saturday and I would be quite happy doing it on my own model (when the BR Blue ones arrive) as the end result is most pleasing and fine.

.75mm, what's the matter with you man, that's huge!! ;)

Jerry

• Like 8

Have to congratulate Dapol Dave and all those involved in the project. We are now seeing showcase quality British diesels (and electrics) replacing somewhat poorer offerings of not really too long ago. Not sure whether this is partly as a result of laser scanning, "cooperative" information sharing, or what, but it really has paid off for the last couple of Dapol hydraulics - which sit very comfortably with the Heljan Hymek and the 95xx.

In fact it looks like the D800 is the odd man out after the A1A A1A warship has been released to this standard.

I would like to pass just one comment on the photos of the green loco shown - the model has been given an air train pipe on the buffer beam, which actually would not have appeared until the class were dual braked. I appreciate that is only a nitpicking comment and in no way detracts from the beauty of the model.

I guess i'll need to save some pennies for a blue one to represent the china clay "clayliner".

Edited by Phil
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the excellent photo review Andy- just the type of "up close and personal shots " we need to personalise our fleet.

I've been saving a while for these beauties and has it been worth the wait.

Echo the thoughts on the reporting numbers- as I'd been replacing these anyway not really a problem, but those lifting rings.. Having spent the last few evenings renumbering a couple of Hymeks, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Will be looking at a "fitting tool" for mine so they don't end up in the graveyard of small detail parts (I.e. the carpet).

Only minor quibble is the central windscreen pillar which looks too thick- Andy's pics give clues on access and a potential remedy.

But those scavenger fans, fuel filler details and most most important the general body shape, spot on.

Well done Dave and the team- I've said before a few times this project has been the best example I've seen of a RTR supplier engaging with its customer base.

Neil (with a nervous credit card awaiting a storm)

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

May Bach get you for that, Ivan! :P

The Model looks very good. Not sure I can afford one on top of all the other goodies due this year, including the Dapol class 73, which should be to an equally high standard.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Awesome!

Saw 1001 in Lord and Butlers last Sunday - really captures the majesty of the beast.

A D800 Nidge? Ooh lets make that a D833 please Dave.....! Just being Tenacious here....

And yup reckon its the wire loop treatment for those lifting rings

Phil

• Like 1

I don't need one, I can't justify one, it's not even the right scale, so please put me down for two in Rail Blue with FYE.

(Many thanks to Dapol Dave and his team. This class featured heavily in the best of my rail travel days and this model is simply superb.)

Guest Belgian

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that I have asked for spare air pipes, brake rigging( which is quite loose) lift rings etc to be sent from China immediately so that they are ready for the product launch.

I've also asked that after this initial batch spare lift rings will be in each accessory bag within The Western packaging.

Cheers

Dave

Now THAT is how a manufacturer should interact with his (potential) customers!

Brilliant, Dave, you've lifted the bar another huge notch.

Jeremy English

• Like 13