RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

post-16579-0-46384400-1360940800_thumb.jpgpost-16579-0-00854400-1360940813_thumb.jpg

A curious one then, obviously! All of the photos I have of D1039 show it with the OHLE flashes in the higher position...! You are right regarding official records though, something else could easily turn up and put things right later on too. When putting my two part livery list together I had to check, check and check again but still errors crept in which I had to put right as I was going through it.

Would love to see any other photos you have by the way, as I'm sure would many others on here... the one you posted above is a corker, whatever the id of the Thousand is ;O)

Edit : would you mind if I posted your photo over on the Diesel Hydraulic facebook page ?(with full credit of course) We have some real experts on there who can help...

OK, this is going to make me look completely stupid (worse than normal!) but you are absolutely right. I have been back to the negs from that day and found a couple taken from the first window in the train which JUST show the number plate. I could be wrong, but it looks like 1019 Western Challenger, which would tie in with your livery records. All these years I have been thinking it was 1039 - a slip of the schoolboy pen.

I don't have that many shots of 52s - I couldn't afford much film in those days and I saved it for steam  :jester: but there are a few that may interest people on here which I'll post shortly.

Here are the shots that say it's 1019....

• Like 8

Pretty sure of the loco's ID and the date is definite - strange...

I'll go back to negatives in the same series to see if there are any that show the name/number more clearly. Def not 1010 as it's not marked in my ABC as one I travelled behind!

When did 1039 receive its oblong vents beneath the driver's windscreens too...?

I'm sorry Adrian,

I call on all members here to ignore all postings by Adrian, as they are tainted with yummyness that, rather like too much sugar, cannot be good for us all.

Oh, and you guys should see the N gauge version ;-)

Pack it in Dave, you're barred!

attachicon.gif1019_Saltash_2.jpgattachicon.gif1019_Saltash_1.jpg

OK, this is going to make me look completely stupid (worse than normal!) but you are absolutely right. I have been back to the negs from that day and found a couple taken from the first window in the train which JUST show the number plate. I could be wrong, but it looks like 1019 Western Challenger, which would tie in with your livery records. All these years I have been thinking it was 1039 - a slip of the schoolboy pen.

I don't have that many shots of 52s - I couldn't afford much film in those days and I saved it for steam  :jester: but there are a few that may interest people on here which I'll post shortly.

Here are the shots that say it's 1019....

Adrian - you've absolutely no need to feel stupid at all, far from it..... more like a hearty pat on the back for joining in and posting such evocative images... photos of D1019 are rare enough, but those are just superb! A big thank you for taking the time to dig the negs out too.

Chard - D1039 had it's cab front vents fitted in 1971 by which time it was in BFYE livery (by the way mate, am about to PM you regarding something else...)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

Guest jim s-w

Seriously though, the N gauge version I think looks even better. I might do a WR layout after all ;-)

Hi Dave

I dunno where you are with the N gauge one but the comparison pics posted earlier have brought up a few question marks for me over the 4mm one which you might want to double check (the following comments relate to the side on comparison views and are just things that raise a question mark to a casual observer, if I was in the market for a Western they certainly wouldnt stop me buying one in the slightest)

It appears to ride a tad high (undoubtably a necessary compromise and seen in most 4mm scale diesels) but the body appears too shallow and the underframe too deep (perhaps as a result of the clearances required? I assume if it does ride to high the roof will be too high also unless these compromises have been made?) The bodyside windows and grills look too small and possibly a tad low (certainly at the tops) while the valve opening thing in the underframe looks right from the top of the underframe but too high from the bottom, reinforcing my thought that the underframe is a tad deep. The angles at the ends of the center section is different (again a product of the underframe possibly being too deep perhaps. If the top and bottom points are correct on the horizontal axis the angle would end up different.)

I hope this helps.

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

• RMweb Premium

It appears to ride a tad high...

The bodyside windows and grills look too small and possibly a tad low (certainly at the tops) while the valve opening thing in the underframe looks right from the top of the underframe but too high from the bottom, reinforcing my thought that the underframe is a tad deep.

How big is a "tad"? Larger or smaller than a "smidgeon"?

Cheers,

Mick

Seriously though, the N gauge version I think looks even better. I might do a WR layout after all ;-)

Oh god and there I was drooling over the 4mm one...maybe I'll have to do more than just Champion. Can't wait to see more of the "baby" Western! A blue one is rather tempting too he he

jo

Hi Jim,

Not sure your right I'm afraid. (I'm not saying your wrong mind you), but too many have checked and said its fine.

Mark used his cad and measurements, we used our laser scan, we also used 'some' drawings.

In fact as far as I remember (with the MR review) the height Is spot on, the width Is about 1/2 mm too narrow and because of extra Long buffer settings its 3mm too long.

It's too late to change now in either gauge I'm afraid. I wish you'd said sooner.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I'm seriously looking forward to these. I'm sure its available somewhere but could you remind us which ones you are doing and, how far behind the 4mm ones they are.

Jerry

I'm seriously looking forward to these. I'm sure its available somewhere but could you remind us which ones you are doing and, how far behind the 4mm ones they are.

Get those nameplates and a Jiffy bag up to Gordon ready Jerry!

Pix

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

It's too late to change now in either gauge I'm afraid. I wish you'd said sooner.

Sorry Dave but I missed the CAD topic and I only saw a test shot at DEMU (where I had nothing to compare it too). I will re-itterate though it still looks a damn fine model and a no brainer if I was getting one. I am not saying I am right - not at all, merely not sure. I reckon if I decided i wanted to fix these things most would be pretty easy really. Certainly the ride height would be one id be looking to do

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

Hi the-Gog,

I havnt seen the review.

What do they say?

Cheers

Dave

"The best ever model of the Western diesel-hydraulic? Emphatic 'yes' in both appearance and performance." Gorgeous large photos as well, so there's no room to hide, and so they can be compared to photos of the real thing.

Richard (Welshpool)

I've been taking a close look at the prototypes' nameplates, mainly so I can draw up fictitious ones (based on the list of the batch of 26 that never got to be used, and also from a list from my own imagination). It would seem that the numberplates were set in what's called Helvetica Heavy 85, while the nameplates were set in Helvetica Bold 75. That's the closest match I've been able to achieve. It isn't any other Grotesque typeface that I can source. I think I'll crank Photoshop into action this weekend. Western Excelsior, anyone? Western Endurance, Western Defiance, Western Revenge... you get the idea.

RWJ

• RMweb Gold

Same as the Dapol release 4 plus Enterprise in sand with SYWP from Osbournes as an exclusive.

It's quite hefty too at 128g

Cheers Dave, final question (for now!), are you leaving the name and number plates off. I have a few in stock for my old spotting days favourites from Westbury,/Warminster.

Get those nameplates and a Jiffy bag up to Gordon ready Jerry! Pix

Absolutely Pix, be great if we could have a Wessie or two ready for expo EM, (Highbury is the guest 2mm layout on missionary work!) - and a 22 or two come to that.

So Dave, I lied, it wasn't the last question, any ideas on timescale for these tempting hydraulics for us 2mm types?

Jerry

Guest jim s-w

I've been taking a close look at the prototypes' nameplates, mainly so I can draw up fictitious ones (based on the list of the batch of 26 that never got to be used, and also from a list from my own imagination). It would seem that the numberplates were set in what's called Helvetica Heavy 85, while the nameplates were set in Helvetica Bold 75. That's the closest match I've been able to achieve. It isn't any other Grotesque typeface that I can source. I think I'll crank Photoshop into action this weekend. Western Excelsior, anyone? Western Endurance, Western Defiance, Western Revenge... you get the idea.

RWJ

Is it not rail alphabet? Its very similar and was used on other nameplates.

HTH

Jim