Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

A= bound for a destination in the London Division

B =bound for a destination in the Bristol Division

C= bound for a destination in the Plymouth Division (later modified to B and C was then used for South Wales)

M=bound for a destination in the Midland Region. This would include all the former Great Western stations absorbed into the Midland region, so trains to Snow Hill Carried M as their destination.

E=bound for a destination in the Eastern Region

V=bound for the Western Region (inter regional working)

Z=Special Working

X=Royal Working and also Pway workings

F=South Wales destination (Later changed to C)

T,F=Hereford

O=bound for the Southern Region

Beware changes that occured over time though. In the mid sixties T was Cardiff district, F was Swansea and also K was Gloucester. The way certain trains were classified, and therefore the number they were given, was also change at some point (edit: 1969 according to the website I linked earlier). The relevant working timetables for the period in question are the best reference.

Justin

Edited by jjnewitt

Stewart Blencowe of Gloucester (Google him) will sell you a WTT for the area and period of your choice. Within the publication will be the relevant details that you are looking for and a lot more too.

Thanks Dave. I've got some working timetables for my location (Cardiff District) and period (1964/5) but it's always good to have another avenue for getting hold of these things. I'd quite like a section F timetable and also trip working booklets for Cardiff for the same period. I'll have a look.

Justin

• RMweb Gold

1048 was on the layout at Cheltenham show this weekend.

Running was somewhat erratic initially - derailments common - but she settled down with some tweaking to be a reliable performer-. Has now been to Jimbo's weathering works - photos to follow

Kinetic envelope seems to exceed other stock however resulting in damage to MSE etched brass signals leading to a new name for her - Western Prima Donna!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hope I'm not asking too much, but I'm planning to model D1051 when I receive my Kernow weathered BR blue loco. I've found two photos of the loco taken in August 1976 that show headcode 1O51 at one end and 0O00 at the other. But I at least cannot tell which end was which.

Edit - Here's the 1O51 end http://www.flickr.com/photos/suthensofty/8544325532/

Can anyone help, please?

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

That's a fairly easy one, Andrew, as the little door under the nearest set of side grilles is visible. That is only on one side on the loco, so you can work out which end you are looking at.

I am in the process of researching 3 candidates for my models and it is often very hard to tell which side/end a photo shows. After a while you get to know the rust spots, dents and faded bits on "your" loco and can work it out from that. 

Arguably, the body design is too perfect!

Adrian

• Like 1

One for Dapol Dave really-when will there be some spare  headcode box assemblies available for D1000 ? Should I ring or contact Dapol

direct as the originals on my D1000 split when I tried to remove them (like many people).

Re My post #1283, 

I am disappointed to note  that  although a Dapol employee has been online  no response  has been forthcoming.

Have you brought this to DapolDave's attention, other than in post #1309, for example, by Personal Message?

I don't think that DapolDave potentially missing a post amongst a 53 page thread can be taken as evidence that he isn't interested, especially as there is plenty of evidence of his interest all over RMweb.  

A query - has anyone managed to dis-assemble the bogies yet?  If you have can you pass on the info please. I would like to look inside to see if I can identify a little issue I have on one leading axle (DapolDave - don't worry I won't blame you if I mess it up!!).

When my maroon one arrives I shall be venturing into the 'unknown' (as far as I'm concerned) and fitting my first loco decoder! It wouldn't have to have all the bells and whistles as I'm not interested in sound or pc/laptop operation... just nice smooth starts and stops!

I've gained the impression that Lenz decoders are excellent and reasonably priced... so could one of theirs fit the bill?... and if so, which one? The standard+ maybe? I have a powercab if that makes a difference.

Thanks, as always, for ANY advice!

As the maroon version has been mentioned above, any update when we might see it? Hattons emailed me some weeks ago to say it was expected in March but I've heard nothing since. Have they been shipped, when are they due? (I have my decoder sitting waiting, good old Bachmann 21 pin, works fine for me).

As the maroon version has been mentioned above, any update when we might see it? Hattons emailed me some weeks ago to say it was expected in March but I've heard nothing since. Have they been shipped, when are they due? (I have my decoder sitting waiting, good old Bachmann 21 pin, works fine for me).

Is that the 36-554 one, Andy? Just looked it up, and the description reminded me... I do want to be able to 'double-head'! I think the word that's used is 'consisting'?? Seemed from the description, this wasn't possible with 36-554.

• RMweb Premium

Is that the 36-554 one, Andy? Just looked it up, and the description reminded me... I do want to be able to 'double-head'! I think the word that's used is 'consisting'?? Seemed from the description, this wasn't possible with 36-554.

I've one of the new Bachmann 21 pin decodes waiting - 36-557 - which has four functions (not three as per 36-554) and other additional capabilities. May also allow consisting but you might want to check. Costs only a fraction more than the same as the older one too.

• RMweb Gold

this is a nice one with a brake tender.

8623760753_85963cecab_b.jpg

loads more here..

Very much off topic but I took a pic last Friday from very nearly the same spot that one was taken from and the slightly frightening thing is that virtually nothing of what is visible in the pic above still survives except for the trees in the background and, probably, most of the buildings visible in the distance at extreme right.  Everything else has gone, all the railway buildings - including the platform surface in the foreground, the two lots of power station chimneys in the background, and with the exception of the track in the foreground serving the platform the pic was taken from (and it has in any case been relaid) all the track has gone and a very different track layout has replaced it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And with the hint that the weathered BR blue one might (stress "might") be with us in June and the others not very far behind.  

I can see a bumper month for the parcel contractor as the Mk1 sleepers are due about the same time as a trio of weathered Westerns and Sod's First Credit Card Law states that at precisely the same time some other long-awaited and expensive item will suddenly appear ;)

Very much off topic but I took a pic last Friday from very nearly the same spot that one was taken from and the slightly frightening thing is that virtually nothing of what is visible in the pic above still survives except for the trees in the background and, probably, most of the buildings visible in the distance at extreme right.  Everything else has gone, all the railway buildings - including the platform surface in the foreground, the two lots of power station chimneys in the background, and with the exception of the track in the foreground serving the platform the pic was taken from (and it has in any case been relaid) all the track has gone and a very different track layout has replaced it.

Nice photo- seems like almost yesterday..I notice that ENPARTS vans were going via goods trains, rather than via parcels/passenger ones, by this time.

Am I correct in remembering that there was a preserved Warship at the power station for a while in the very early 1970s?