Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

• RMweb Premium

Yes I believe they made some changes to the CAD and wanted to get everything right which is good, I believe that Hattons expect an EP end of July early August.

• 4 weeks later...

Am I alone when looking at the CAD to think that Heljan and Hattons may have missed a trick?

Partly this comes of spending some time at two shows last year drooling over a pair of O-gauge A4s with digital sound and synchronised smoke drifting through a shed yard......

The speaker for the digital sound has been placed under the chimney- presumably to concentrate the sound in the right place. Could it not have been fitted either further back down the boiler of even in the bottom of the firebox leaving room for a substantial synchronised smoke unit? A Beyer-Garrett with sound and decent smoke, now there's a prospect in OO.

All the best

Les

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Premium

A Beyer-Garrett with sound and decent smoke, now there's a prospect in OO.

All the best

Les

Nice thought Les but I would expect that anyone who has the ability to fit the smoke units will have no problem relocating the speaker if necessary!

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Weren't real Beyer Garratts fitted with 2 sound chips, 2 speakers - one of each at each end?

Don't understand how one sound chip and one speaker would even begin to sound authentic. :stinker:

There was only one chimney - so only one place for exhaust noises (which could become a continuous roar on something like an NSW AD60 when working really hard.

There was only one chimney - so only one place for exhaust noises (which could become a continuous roar on something like an NSW AD60 when working really hard.

Sorry, not quite thinking straight :no: Too much wine for lunch, I suspect!

• 3 weeks later...

. Could it not have been fitted either further back down the boiler of even in the bottom of the firebox leaving room for a substantial synchronised smoke unit? A Beyer-Garrett with sound and decent smoke, now there's a prospect in OO.

Don't smoke units get hot and melt the boiler when they run out of oil ? Perhaps they thought it was too big a risk. I am always wary of such things.

Don't smoke units get hot and melt the boiler when they run out of oil ? Perhaps they thought it was too big a risk. I am always wary of such things.

One of the issues with smoke units a few years ago was the Health Risk, it was publshed in a magazine in a letter from a model railway enthusiast,member of the medical profession that the smoke which was emitted from smoke units was many times more hazardous than cigarette smoke and should be avoided and not used in domestic locations particularly when children were present., some exhibition managers banned the use of smoke units for a time.

Many of my large scale locos were smoke unit fitted but I rarely used them as droplets of smoke oil would sometimes fall on the loco and following train which caused staining of the paint work.

A bit odd that they have gone for the fixed bunker as IIRC only three locos kept them and they were "all"? fitted with smaller front tanks. So out of a class of thirty three you may only be able to model the first three.. Unless they are going to do the rotary one later.

OzzyO.

I have no reason as a SR, GWR and Southern Pacific modeller to own one of these...but I want one.... A Beyer-garratt going through the snowsheds of the Sierras or descending Willamette pass on a club layout would be fun....

• Like 1

I have no reason as a SR, GWR and Southern Pacific modeller to own one of these...but I want one.... A Beyer-garratt going through the snowsheds of the Sierras or descending Willamette pass on a club layout would be fun....

Think of yourself as a collector rather than a modeller, and you won't have to justify buying one.

Were the Garratts ever oil fired during the 1947-48 ill fated attempt to reduce the use of coal in UK steam power? Plans drawn up if never modified? I think California outlawed coal fired engines between 1905 and 1910 to cut down on brush fires (in a very dry climate) and promote locally sourced oil which was almost everywhere (oozing out of the ground in LA at the tar pits) while good steam coal was rare and what there was had been already been mined.

• RMweb Gold

If I'm any judge of horseflesh,then this looks to be a good'un. Million dollar question,how will it run ? Will its track-holding performance be acceptable ? Awful lot of pennies to lay out. Hope the gamble will be worth it. Heljan's first venture into OO steam,though it does Danish HO stuff. I relish this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Hattons have annouced on their facebook page that they are expecting a fully working pre-production Beyer Garrat in the shop around noon tomorrow from Denmark.

They said they might even paint and decal it!

Simon

• Like 1