Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Every filling place must of had a collection of abandoned caps.

Many years ago (soon after following a man with a red flag was abolished?) I was still at school and had a weekend job at Fleet Services on the M3 (before it was self-service and had a roof over the pumps).

We had a good collection of filler caps that had been left behind, and handed them out to people with missing fuel caps in the hope of getting a good tip.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

4 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Of course, I knew it wasn't kept in a paper bag!

Fact is flammable gas like that, is meant to be stored in a well-ventilated area. Basements, I wouldn't expect to be legal, because leaking gas will build up.

Yes, if it does escape, it lurks around at floor level, being heavier than air.  If you go into the basement, even without your lit ciggie, you'll probably asphyxiate...

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Yes, if it does escape, it lurks around at floor level, being heavier than air.  If you go into the basement, even without your lit ciggie, you'll probably asphyxiate...

Also, the latest heat pump central heating boiler replacement systems* for domestic use propane as the refrigerant as its apparently "environmentally friendly".  But they can't be installed adjacent to a building airbrick in case they leak and an internal spark sets the gas off...

* Electric cars for houses...

Edited by Hroth
mistype
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

51 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Of course, I knew it wasn't kept in a paper bag!

Fact is flammable gas like that, is meant to be stored in a well-ventilated area. Basements, I wouldn't expect to be legal, because leaking gas will build up.

Ohhh I see what you mean.  👍

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

How many years did it take to think of even having a tether? Every filling place must of had a collection of abandoned caps.

I only made that mistake once and went back and picked it off the pump 10 minutes later!

I once flagged down a police car as it was leaving a petrol station in Glasgow.  The rozzer was rather surprised when instead of speaking to him about some incident I took his filler cap off the rear passenger window and put it where it belonged !

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I think the house will need a repaint and a bit of TLC!

What is a home doing with a big propane tank underground? Isn't it heavier than air?

The tank contents I mean, because I know the tank itself is heavier than air!

Probably the HOA wont allow surface tanks, lets down the neighborhood you know ,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Probably the HOA wont allow surface tanks, lets down the neighborhood you know ,

Yes I've heard about the US fascination over HOA and the power that some revel in.

I heard of one guy who got up earlier than usual and spotted someone outside his kitchen window, measuring the height of his lawn with a ruler! Getting ready to make an official complaint, no doubt.

Some would consider that (trespassing) a dangerous act in the USA.

As for installing a propane gas tank inside, well the HOA, will have something to really complain about now!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/02/2024 at 12:52, Michael Hodgson said:

A local sub-post office which has now become just a private house has taken down its "You may telephone from here" sign.

You've got to be careful doing things like that as it might be listed.

I remember a pub by mine changed names and got done as the lettering and the elephant on the outside was listed and they had smashed the elephant to pieces. Had to pay a fortune putting it back the way it was.

Funnily enough a pub that the Fab Four drank in when they were youngsters!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/7065026373

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/elephants-head-restored-woolton-pub-3443065

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

...snip... Funnily enough a pub that the Fab Four drank in when they were youngsters!

Jason

The Ventures were in England? Must have been an international tour they were giving.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, JZ said:

428666188_378176684942625_2843184167577749304_n.jpg.8c83f2bd6d59958a8171abc9790fb4f6.jpg

Look for Forklift Driver Klaus.

I won't post it as it's very gory!

Certainly not for those of a nervous disposition.....

Klaus is excited as he has received his driver's license. However, his first day of work turns out to be a bloodbath when he injures his co-workers.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Look for Forklift Driver Klaus.

I won't post it as it's very gory!

Certainly not for those of a nervous disposition.....

Jason

Yes very gory, but as a H&S film it makes its point.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, chiefpenguin said:

It is very gory but (AFAIK) was deemed too gory to be used in SnowflakeUK plc.

Please don't watch if you are a snowflake ;

Shown on Channel Four though!

My main point of not posting it was there have been complaints about some of us posting stuff on here previously.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2024 at 08:57, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Lion bars. My favourite.

Although, if we are to judge the contents by the picture on the tin, I am not too sure what Lyle's Golden Syrup is made of:

4E6DEF6400000578-5973787-image-m-76_1532083236507.jpg.b71fa8e0046866d836021f65d0bc205c.jpg

enjoy this tin whilst you can.

The worlds oldest brand logo has gone woke.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The tins are staying traditional, with the original dead cat and insects logo.  The "updated" logo consisting of a lions head being bothered by a bee is going on squeezy packs and the like to make it more relevant to modern consumers, who might not get the biblical reference...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

My Bible knowledge is pretty good, but I wouldn't have recognised the reference if I didn't know it already. The traditional logo is absurd and well past its sell-by date, and really its only remaining value is as a pub quiz question (Which iconic British food has a picture of an insect-infested carcase on the packaging?).

However, it seems I'll still be getting the dead animal version since I have no wish to buy more plastic than I have to, and I do like syrup on my porridge, and home-made millionaire's shortbread is perhaps the next-best thing (and the closest I am likely to get) to actually being a millionaire.

Now then. Animals, living and dead. How about this one?

lot.jpg.47c9a1833a91c7f36009ab9466b25429.jpg

Or, since this is a model railway forum, what about this less well known version:

10403898_992230484137769_5148971980829306781_o.jpg.ee1bf3e477dc2be481801e43cc8272e9.jpg

Presumably it's meant to be a Stirling single (there's a better picture of one in another Bovril/GNR collaboration). Not sure about the dome, though.

I'm not sure about the bull, either. Highland, perhaps - I can't think of anything else with those horns or that colouring, although it doesn't look like a Highland in other respects. It could be a Sussex, I suppose. Most English reds were polled. [Edit: since posting this I've found some pictures of horned Devons, which seems a little more likely than it being a Sussex.]

More bizarre (to my mind) are these. Anyone care to guess at the thought process that led to them?

Vtg-Bovril-Card-Swap-Single-Playing-Advertising-Say.webp.2d46daf6b22e073ef9c2ff0cc4cb3e23.webp

Bovril_poster_c1900.webp.af05218369130738642feacddc25addc.webp

Edited by Jeremy Cumberland
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2