Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly Mr Muspratt refers in his review to “those most vocal & critical rivet counters for whom perhaps no model will ever meet their perceived standards.”

No model is ever going to be absolutely spot on - there are too many parts some of which are never going to scale down.

Kenrow has taken the commercial risk, produced something that’s a hell of a lot better than no model, we can debate whether it’s 79,80,90 or 95% accurate. If want to improve it, either get your scalpel out or learn CAD and negotiate with the factory and get your own fully assembled rtr product to market.

Let’s keep a sense of proportion. How many 1970s/80s models would stand scrutiny today? The compromises on those seem legion in comparison

David

Post of the month...if not of the year,David.Those to whom it applies will look the other way,I'm afraid.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Some of the Bluebell Maunsell coaches have Maunsell wheels AND are passed for for use on the big railway. they were taken to kings Cross along with the Met Railway Chesham set and the C class for a film job. My son was the fireman on there for a couple of days and as a rolling stock engineer took interest in that fact.

MANSELL (wooden centred) wheels have been prohibited from the national system for many years AFAIK, due to vehicles fitted with them not being detected by track circuits. 

John

• RMweb Gold

MANSELL (wooden centred) wheels have been prohibited from the national system for many years AFAIK, due to vehicles fitted with them not being detected by track circuits. 

John

Some Mansell wheelsets were given bonding to ensure that they did operate track circuits.  The wheels seem to have lasted in limited general use until the 1950s - most likely on some NPCCS vehicles.  And definitely on some stock in departmental use (where they might even have lasted into the early 1960s?).

• RMweb Gold

MANSELL (wooden centred) wheels have been prohibited from the national system for many years AFAIK, due to vehicles fitted with them not being detected by track circuits.

John

A couple of videos of the c class at Kings Cross, with stock, including a couple of departure runs up the platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQx0gO0K5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_AO_u6BCQ

Must have a good budget to block a whole platform at KX for a day.

This was the ECS from East Grinstead to Kings Cross, via Bounds Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6YhU9e2QBw

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

Some Mansell wheelsets were given bonding to ensure that they did operate track circuits.  The wheels seem to have lasted in limited general use until the 1950s - most likely on some NPCCS vehicles.  And definitely on some stock in departmental use (where they might even have lasted into the early 1960s?).

The Bluebell's LCDR brake certain has them, and that survived in departmental use in to the 1960s: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/abgtearoom.html

(although of course, departmental use includes internal user stock that might never need to go near a track circuit)

The Bluebell's LCDR brake certain has them, and that survived in departmental use in to the 1960s: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/abgtearoom.html

(although of course, departmental use includes internal user stock that might never need to go near a track circuit)

Birdcage brake No.3363, formally DS 22, kept it's Mansell wheels and was withdrawn with them in 1978.

This coach used to tour the Southern Region as a gauging van.

Each wheel set is bonded with a woven copper strip, in order activate track circuiting .

Whether this was the last vehicle, in operational condition with Mansell wheels on the SR, I don't know.

Edited by trevor7598

This is utter rubbish, ALL the Bluebell coaches that went to King's Cross in February 2016 for filming had steel wheels.

The four Metropolitan coaches also have steel wheels.

You refer to Maunsell wheels, I think you mean Mansell wheels, which have wooden centres, usually teak,

For this reason my Birdcage brake 3363 did not go to King's Cross, as it has Mansell wheels.

Typo, Mansell wheels, the ones with wooden centres. Otherwise I stand by what I said. :)

update from Kernow, the ship is passing Faro and is due in Southampton on the 8th.

I think there might be a typo there, the vessel finder link kernow point to is still showing the 5th Nov as ETA on the AIS data.

Hope so, as time is getting tight to get my set for an appearance on Camel Quay at the Manchester Christmas show.

• RMweb Gold

I've just read that thread. I was suitably entertained. I'm just wondering if snopes.com needs a page on the various RMweb/Gatestock/Kernow theories out there. 

I read parts of it, blimey, there's some bile there, now remember why I stopped using that particular organ. Looking forward to my apparently flawed, but hugely better than I could manage, Gate stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I read parts of it, blimey, there's some bile there, now remember why I stopped using that particular organ. Looking forward to my apparently flawed, but hugely better than I could manage, Gate stock.

Totally agree. One in particular is being very personal and vitriolic. Not good. They are welcome to it.

Errors have been highlighted but as you say, these are better than I could manage and will be a very welcome addition to the Lamb Regis roster.

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely no class whatsoever except from Graham Muz keeping a dignified silence but who must be biting his lip at some of the crap aimed in his direction.

Not any worse than some of the stuff on here at times  :biggrin_mini2: 

MRF is normally a mild mannered place but this particular subject seems to have really upset the cart everywhere its discussed.

The trouble with the most vitriolic poster on there is not that he's wrong; indeed he can often produce evidence suggesting he's right.

It's that he has no sense of proportion; no sense of when enough is enough; no idea how to phrase his criticisms diplomatically; and (for a small ex-manufacturer himself) apparently little idea of the compromises necessary even in the most modern model mass-manufacturing techniques.

From what I can gather he seems to have been taking this approach for so long, it appears he has got the backs up of practically everyone whose products he comments upon, with the result that they regard him as a "vexatious correspondent" and have stopped listening - even when he's right, and even when there would still be time to make at least some adjustments.

• Like 1

The trouble with the most vitriolic poster on there is not that he's wrong; indeed he can often produce evidence suggesting he's right.

It's that he has no sense of proportion; no sense of when enough is enough; no idea how to phrase his criticisms diplomatically; and (for a small ex-manufacturer himself) apparently little idea of the compromises necessary even in the most modern model mass-manufacturing techniques.

From what I can gather he seems to have been taking this approach for so long, it appears he has got the backs up of practically everyone whose products he comments upon, with the result that they regard him as a "vexatious correspondent" and have stopped listening - even when he's right, and even when there would still be time to make at least some adjustments.

That is the sad thing- he very often was/is correct in what he said/says. Before he ..’disappeared’...from here he often seemed to point out faults where he was subsequently shown to be correct- points that were debated for seemingly months afterwards.....

That is the sad thing- he very often was/is correct in what he said/says. Before he ..’disappeared’...from here he often seemed to point out faults where he was subsequently shown to be correct- points that were debated for seemingly months afterwards.....

He may be a very knowledgeable correspondent, but having read many of the MRF posts and remembering his attitude on models, producers and some within the industry on this site he doesn't really help himself.

There are ways to behave in polite society, which would probably more fully realise his supposed aim of more accurate models, unfortunately his social skills leave much to be desired as he just comes over as a troll.

As he's been removed from this site but acts just the same elsewhere, I can't believe it will be long before he gets removed from them.

Will he eventually end up ranting at the moon about how he could have done so much better, with the gate stock he's had 6years in which to achieve it, but Kernow's appears to be the only game in town.

Enough of ABS,from an avowed fanboy who's just happy to get models better than I could produce.

Atb

Nik

Edited by Spannerman

I was about to ask if this Mr.Swain was Adrian, of ABS Models fame. He used to produce my range of GS Models bus kits many years ago. A very skilled modeller and pattern maker, he was quite fastidious about getting things right. I haven't heard from him since he was on here a while ago.

That's him, Roy.

I never made the connection before, but I have made quite a few of the GS Models (or ex-GS Models) kits over the years, and still have a couple of unmade/half-finished ones too (an LT 'scooter', a 4RF4, and a CR). I have made all the variations of the RF kits - the roofs need raising slightly on those but I liked them a lot as kits, and as representations of the real thing (better in some ways than the diecast EFE ones, which also have too shallow and additionally flattened roofs).

I know the ABS Streetscene range had kits absorbed from other ranges, but I seem to recall that not all of the ABS original range of bus kits were 100% accurate.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

One in particular is being very personal and vitriolic. Not good. They are welcome to it.

He was bundled off here for similar disparaging remarks in more than one thread, which overshadows the fact that he may well be right. A bit Pyrrhic, really.

And I feel sorry for him, because if his whole modelling life revolves around obsessively seeking the flaws in others' efforts, it can't be much fun. And that sort of prolonged negativity can impact health. Not good as we get older. 

• RMweb Gold

Or rather Adrian repeated on a daily basis for months after? (as past of an obvious agenda)

Good to see the coaches are imminent. I did like the character of the samples running at the Great Electric Train Show 

For all the inaccuracies Adrian has pointed out, many won't actually be visible when the sets are in service on my layout. To quote Spannerman earlier, I am "happy to get models better than I could produce." My order remains active.

Edited by SRman