EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

The daubs of graffiti vandals have no place in my collection, however well done.

The penalty for the criminals invloved should include all the costs of making good their handiwork! (IMHO)

I don't even know why the culprits, actually LIKE their 'creation'!

…. This kit was rather ill advised. Being expensive (12/6d IIRC) and a foreign prototype it did not sell well in this country and, being 4mm scale, it didn't in France. Italian and German prototypes suffered the same fate (Gr 835  0-6-0T and Br 23 2-6-2).

Here's a better one at half the price (I wouldn't say, "Superb" but she's not bad).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KITMASTER-OO-NO-23-231P-SNCF-MOUNTAIN-LOCO-TENDER-241P29-SUPERB-PRE-BUILT-/263825158182

Since it's an un-motorised kit surely they could have just as easily made it H0 scale? I thought quite a few of the Kitmaster kits go for inflated prices, particularly the ones that didn't survive to the Airfix and later Dapol ranges as they are now rare.

Kitmaster only belatedly realised the problem with the scale, as they then turned out the French and German coaching stock in HO.

The 4mm scale Continental engines are useful to illustrate just how much wider / taller they were than their British counterparts. I once put the Br.23 alongside a Bachmann BR Std.5 and the former towered over the latter.

The inflated prices seem to affect mainly anything to do with the Blue Pullman stock (at least one RMWeb contributor has or had a sizeable carton containing original Blue Pullman stock still in cellophane-wrapped boxes, enough to form one, possibly two, complete sets). The Beyer-Garratt and Stirling Single are also quite popular; the Duchess less so even though it captures the look rather well.

The Kitmaster Mk.1 coaches still stand up well by modern standards, with the benefit of today's detailing parts if and when you can obtain them. The glazing in particular has arguably never been bettered.

May not necessarily be to a prototype, but I wish my weathering skills were that good. Maybe they could turn their hand to one of those WR Hydraulics at the end of their life, showing just about every colour under the sun.

• RMweb Gold

I doubt if there is a prototype for these, although the weathering is well executed and there has been a lot of time spent in execution, I do not think that coaches would get in this condition in real life, for instance the roof would not be rusty.

So I think you are right - ebay madness 

As I have said similarly in the past on this very thread, always amazing when those pesky non ferric materials manage to rust!

May not necessarily be to a prototype, but I wish my weathering skills were that good. Maybe they could turn their hand to one of those WR Hydraulics at the end of their life, showing just about every colour under the sun.

Whilst his weathering skills can be admired, it's a shame his observational skills are not keeping pace.

Mike.

Kitmaster only belatedly realised the problem with the scale, as they then turned out the French and German coaching stock in HO.

The 4mm scale Continental engines are useful to illustrate just how much wider / taller they were than their British counterparts. I once put the Br.23 alongside a Bachmann BR Std.5 and the former towered over the latter.

The inflated prices seem to affect mainly anything to do with the Blue Pullman stock (at least one RMWeb contributor has or had a sizeable carton containing original Blue Pullman stock still in cellophane-wrapped boxes, enough to form one, possibly two, complete sets). The Beyer-Garratt and Stirling Single are also quite popular; the Duchess less so even though it captures the look rather well.

The Kitmaster Mk.1 coaches still stand up well by modern standards, with the benefit of today's detailing parts if and when you can obtain them. The glazing in particular has arguably never been bettered.

Not long ago, I was lucky enough to get a large job lot of unused Kitmaster coach parts, including a small quantity of Pullman bogies which improve the Tri-ang version no end, The coaches can be picked up quite reasonably and need little work to produce good models, There are a few joints that need attention such as the raised moulding for the lining and the spurious valance along the bottom of the solebar. They are 2mm too short for some strange reason, which shows as it's lost betweeb the doors and the ends. I've tried adding a strip pf 40 thou plastic sheet to correct this, but am not convinced the amount of work involved is worth the trouble. The later ones tend to have a moulding flaw on the bogies, There are only four types, but are easily 'cut and shut' to produce a lot more.

I was stupid enough to break up my Coronation (a rather hybrid beast) with the idea of using her wheels to make a GWR 4-4-0 County. (Errors of youth!) Needless to say everything ended up in the bin, though the pieces of the tender still exist and may end up behind my rojectedTurbomotive for which, I understand, it is the correct pattern. (It's certainly not a Coronation tender....) More raised mouldings to remove.... :(

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As Ivan says, they do stand up quite well by today's standards. I'm fortunate enough to still have around 12 Mk1s which might be worth 'doing up'. I do think that they would warrant the effort.

I bought them originally, one at a time, strangely from a television repair shop in Englefield Green who only sold KM in the way of models of any sort! Pocket money was rather small back in those days!

• Like 3

As Ivan says, they do stand up quite well by today's standards. I'm fortunate enough to still have around 12 Mk1s which might be worth 'doing up'. I do think that they would warrant the effort....

I'm going to see if I can put one on a modern Coopercraft Mk.1 underframe.

• Like 2

Well I must admit I'm a little shocked.

I searched for a model on Ebay, and the only example that came up was from a trader who regularly features in these discussions.  The price seemed reasonable, so I took a punt and "bought it now".

It arrived within 3 days and was perfect.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As for joblot - more like blot

Time for another lot of "watchers" to raise their hopes ...….

It's just down the road, but somehow I don't think I'll bother!

Why, if the stock is not included, is it on the layout? It doesn't seem very exciting in any case.

Unsurprisingly it hasn't sold yet. Meanwhile while this is rare I'm still not sure it's worth that much: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Egger-Bahn-Black-Model-T-Ford-car-wagon-Very-Rare-Boxed-/223088769762?nav=SEARCH

Unsurprisingly it hasn't sold yet. Meanwhile while this is rare I'm still not sure it's worth that much: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Egger-Bahn-Black-Model-T-Ford-car-wagon-Very-Rare-Boxed-/223088769762?nav=SEARCH

The seller seems to be under the impression that all Eggerbahn is collectible and worth a lot. Not to me at least....

He has a Budgie cattle lorry at £25. I paid £4 for one of these recently. True, it wasn't in quite as good condition (until I touched it up - a Vallejo colour matched almost perfectly and being acrylic will come off without problems :secret:  ).

Edited by Il Grifone

The seller seems to be under the impression that all Eggerbahn is collectible and worth a lot. Not to me at least....

He has a Budgie cattle lorry at £25. I paid £4 for one of these recently. True, it wasn't in quite as good condition (until I touched it up - a Vallejo colour matched almost perfectly and being acrylic will come off without problems :secret: ).

Interestingly I did read an Eggerbahn website explaining how some people have swapped over bits of the models to produce variations and combinations that were never actually produced by the factory. The website was warning readers not to get scammed by people passing such things off as 'extremely rare models'.

• RMweb Gold

One for fans of London Transport steam: an E Class "converted" from a Hornby M7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-Transport-E-Class-0-4-4T-Steam-Locomotive-L44-ex-Hornby-M7-Factory-DCC/153128045179?epid=25021255804&hash=item23a7248a7b:g:zG4AAOSw~uJbQiex

With a starting price of £120 for this little gem, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry!

• Like 1

It does look nice....and is the DCC Fitted 'recent' Hornby M7 to boot (!) ;)

But no....I think i'll still pass.....though it may be tempting (and a fair bit cheaper?) to do something similar to the old Tri-ang Hornby M7? ;)

Edited by Sarahagain