Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Is that because you're not at home, or is it like my motorcycle parts store where I can risk triggering an avalanche of junk whilst hunting for something?

Most definitely the latter....

• Friendly/supportive 4

I don't know if its because of when I was born, but I've recently been losing a bit of weight and its suddenly occurred to me that I operate in some sort of halfway house metric imperial system. I use cm and metres for length EXCEPT height which is feet. I have no concept of how tall I am in cm's or metres. likewise weight I use grams and kilograms EXCEPT my own weight which is stones and lbs. weight in Kgs? Not a scoobie. Every time I try and work out my BMI there's only the option for metric or imperial, not some "born in the 1970s" mixture. Same with gallons - I can visualise how big a gallon is, but not 5 litres, and yet I know how big 2 litres is in non-petrol form 😂

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I don't know if its because of when I was born, but I've recently been losing a bit of weight and its suddenly occurred to me that I operate in some sort of halfway house metric imperial system. I use cm and metres for length EXCEPT height which is feet. I have no concept of how tall I am in cm's or metres. likewise weight I use grams and kilograms EXCEPT my own weight which is stones and lbs. weight in Kgs? Not a scoobie. Every time I try and work out my BMI there's only the option for metric or imperial, not some "born in the 1970s" mixture. Same with gallons - I can visualise how big a gallon is, but not 5 litres, and yet I know how big 2 litres is in non-petrol form 😂

If it's any consolation, I know my height in feet and inches, and my weight in kg...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

A good thing we use OO/HO, EM and P4 as gauge labels or we'd be completely flummoxed....

Yes, but to 76:1 scale.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

(Im)precisely. 

Quite so, anything smaller than 6 inches in the real world gets lost in the width of your Swann-Morton blade...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2024 at 11:56, MrWolf said:

Except that I should have pointed out that anywhere other than eBay that item would be chucked in the £2 box rather than being the thick end of £40!

... and it sold ...!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Besley said:

... and it sold ...!

Good grief Charlie Brown...

It seems that it went on a Best Offer, but still eBay madness in my book.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

For something that needs attention and lacks buffers, £159.56 is a bit steep:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195844949950

I've just bought a new one that runs perfectly and has all its buffers for £154.18!

SMELL OF BURNING WHEN RUNNING

Thats even more worrying than a mere lack of buffers!

• Agree 5

On 24/03/2024 at 18:09, Hroth said:

The same bunch who complained when petrol increased from 6/8 a gallon?

I remember when it was 4/6 in England, but the French issued petrol coupons to tourists arriving at Calais because it was 6/8 in France, or at least the equivelent thereof in French (old) francs.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:
1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

I've just bought a new one that runs perfectly and has all its buffers for £154.18!

But was it DCC fitted?  If not, not quite a fair comparison, and Rails are at least being upfront about its issues.  Might be a bargain if you want a DCC 43xx, taking a chance on the burning smell being surplust lube or dust.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

A loco named 'Barbie'??

Maybe, but Hattons "Katie" was preferable.

She had Big Buffers!

Edited by Hroth
typo
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2024 at 10:58, MrWolf said:

There's another model in that series, it's a flatbed carrying a neon sign that says "I'm really not getting any"

I thought that might be a limp-it wagon?

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Yes Indeed!. I have a vague memory of having a set of these when I was aged 5 or 6. Even at that age I thought they looked weird. Having consulted with my 93 year old mother she reckons I got into bother when I buried them in the back garden.!

Cheers, Rich

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3