EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Is that because you're not at home, or is it like my motorcycle parts store where I can risk triggering an avalanche of junk whilst hunting for something?

Most definitely the latter....

• Friendly/supportive 4

I don't know if its because of when I was born, but I've recently been losing a bit of weight and its suddenly occurred to me that I operate in some sort of halfway house metric imperial system. I use cm and metres for length EXCEPT height which is feet. I have no concept of how tall I am in cm's or metres. likewise weight I use grams and kilograms EXCEPT my own weight which is stones and lbs. weight in Kgs? Not a scoobie. Every time I try and work out my BMI there's only the option for metric or imperial, not some "born in the 1970s" mixture. Same with gallons - I can visualise how big a gallon is, but not 5 litres, and yet I know how big 2 litres is in non-petrol form 😂

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I don't know if its because of when I was born, but I've recently been losing a bit of weight and its suddenly occurred to me that I operate in some sort of halfway house metric imperial system. I use cm and metres for length EXCEPT height which is feet. I have no concept of how tall I am in cm's or metres. likewise weight I use grams and kilograms EXCEPT my own weight which is stones and lbs. weight in Kgs? Not a scoobie. Every time I try and work out my BMI there's only the option for metric or imperial, not some "born in the 1970s" mixture. Same with gallons - I can visualise how big a gallon is, but not 5 litres, and yet I know how big 2 litres is in non-petrol form 😂

If it's any consolation, I know my height in feet and inches, and my weight in kg...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

A good thing we use OO/HO, EM and P4 as gauge labels or we'd be completely flummoxed....

Yes, but to 76:1 scale.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

(Im)precisely. 

Quite so, anything smaller than 6 inches in the real world gets lost in the width of your Swann-Morton blade...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2024 at 11:56, MrWolf said:

Except that I should have pointed out that anywhere other than eBay that item would be chucked in the £2 box rather than being the thick end of £40!

... and it sold ...!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Besley said:

... and it sold ...!

Good grief Charlie Brown...

It seems that it went on a Best Offer, but still eBay madness in my book.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

For something that needs attention and lacks buffers, £159.56 is a bit steep:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195844949950

I've just bought a new one that runs perfectly and has all its buffers for £154.18!

SMELL OF BURNING WHEN RUNNING

Thats even more worrying than a mere lack of buffers!

• Agree 5

On 24/03/2024 at 18:09, Hroth said:

The same bunch who complained when petrol increased from 6/8 a gallon?

I remember when it was 4/6 in England, but the French issued petrol coupons to tourists arriving at Calais because it was 6/8 in France, or at least the equivelent thereof in French (old) francs.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:
1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

I've just bought a new one that runs perfectly and has all its buffers for £154.18!

But was it DCC fitted?  If not, not quite a fair comparison, and Rails are at least being upfront about its issues.  Might be a bargain if you want a DCC 43xx, taking a chance on the burning smell being surplust lube or dust.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

A loco named 'Barbie'??

Maybe, but Hattons "Katie" was preferable.

She had Big Buffers!

Edited by Hroth
typo
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Yes Indeed!. I have a vague memory of having a set of these when I was aged 5 or 6. Even at that age I thought they looked weird. Having consulted with my 93 year old mother she reckons I got into bother when I buried them in the back garden.!

Cheers, Rich

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3