EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I bought myself an Athearn boxcar kit in 2022, still have the box somewhere, you mean to say I could chuck whatever junky Triang spares I have in the box and make twenty quid??

Well yes, but I won't be buying!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Those Athearn boxes get used for all sorts of leftover bits and pieces. It seems to be rare to find the intended items, actually in them!

4 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I bought myself an Athearn boxcar kit in 2022, still have the box somewhere, you mean to say I could chuck whatever junky Triang spares I have in the box and make twenty quid??

But they are worth looking at when visiting swap meets and toy fairs. I found one full of left over bits from someone who must have been building some kits (Cambrian?) of some Walrus ballast hoppers. The kits must have had alternative parts as there was components of ten complete bogies in there as well as other parts, all for 50p.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

But only the tenders Bassett Lowke! The loco looks LNWR with a Midland Railway number.

Not an LNWR cab or dome, perhaps rather more LNER. However the nameplate "Princess Elizabeth" is definitely LMS.

But prototype accuracy wasn't a major factor for the tinplate manufacturers, where poetic license was taken to the limit.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, goldfish said:

It is 0 gauge tinplate, so it must be Hornby : -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204720510778?

Pity about the prominent Bassett Lowke logo.

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

But only the tenders Bassett Lowke! The loco looks LNWR with a Midland Railway number.

It looks pure BL to me. Apart from the splashers and the livery, it looks identical to my BL 1927 cigarette loco*.

* AKA Duke of York

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The whole thing is Bassett Lowke through and through. Here's the red version:

image.png.ced0a7ca1a0d6a863d2043214f8a576a.png

https://www.tooveys.com/lots/247197/a-bassett-lowke-gauge-o-clockwork-4-4-0-locomotive-2265-princess-elizabeth-and-tender

Nothing at all like 2265. Sorry this tin plate stuff is lost on me.

https://chasewaterstuff.wordpress.com/2010/06/03/steam-locomotive-classes-of-a-leisurely-era-2/north-staffs-lms-0-6-2t-2265-waterhouses-hc-casserley/

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

The LNER 2265 apparently is a Q6 0-8-0, so the only thing in common is the number of wheels!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ted633 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126400351850?

From the description 

Also note the condition of the driving ends! Have to scroll through a few photos to find them though.

Not my era, but it looks like a fair starting price for one of those, assuming it runs OK. 

The red paint looks as though it probably would clean off; if not it wouldn't be a major job to overpaint it back to yellow.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2024 at 10:17, John Besley said:

"Elastic band was used to hold bogey up while running as you can see in video. It runs perfectly ok" - Jolly good show!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Elastic band was used to hold bogey up while running as you can see in video. It runs perfectly ok" - Jolly good show!

Bluebottle, cardboard and string hero, rides again, modelee modelee...

'You rotten rotten, you dedded me'!

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

So, if the trailing wheels of the bogie have "vanished", the question is WHY?

Mazak rot, perchance?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Looks like an LMS BG to me

Rather than a 4-EPB “centre coach”.

Cheers

Darius

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Gosh!

Thats cheap for him!

Its cheap for what it is, I might snap it up before he realises he's left a 1 off after the £ sign.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Looks like an LMS BG to me

Rather than a 4-EPB “centre coach”.

Cheers

Darius

17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its cheap for what it is, I might snap it up before he realises he's left a 1 off after the £ sign.

I've bitten the bullet and purchased it. Its all white metal and it appears to have had some clear plastic overlays with the door details printed thereon. Its certainly not an MTK kit just in an MTK box (with MTK instructions). Would anybody know who did make the kit?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Good for you, Phil.  Looks like the roof and sides are pressed aluminium sheet and the ends are white metal, which is an MTK construction type.  MTK often supplied decals for the door edges.  MTK usually made the roof and sides from one continuous sheet rather than three separate parts though.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1