EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

This is a good one.

Described as, "Job lot of 10 high quality collectable ornaments in Mahogany display cabinet. Lot includes 6 railway scenes, Taj Mahal and Metal Horse and Carriage scene".

In Model Railways and Finescale apparently!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-10-Ornaments-in-Mahogany-Display-Cabinet-/151143073977?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2330d448b9

One man's pride and joy is another's tat. A mahogany cabinet is a bonus, whatever, for most bidders.

It's also acquired the wrong pantograph from somewhere - 90s have only ever had single-arm Brecknell Willis type!

Don't think I'll be bidding...

Real 90's have only ever had B/W pans, Hornby's have only ever had some collapsed scaffolding.

I'd have had a cheeky bid on it a few years ago, the motor bogie would have gone under a 76, the body would have been detailed and renumbered, and the diamond pan would have gone on a HO US Boxcab.

And spot the deliberate(?) error on the RHS, (or you could buy the Hornby model and save some money).

Edited by Il Grifone

I suppose the other loco will be in another listing? ;)

Also runs on HO Gauge Track....

Well that IS a surprise! ;)

I've just noticed that for nearly £120 you get a loco that doesn't actually work:

RUNNING STATUS - NON RUNNER

I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO INVESTIGATE

MOTOR IS TRYING TO TURN BUT WHEELS OR GEARING TIGHT

SO SOLD" AS IS "

On the seller's grading system at the bottom of the page, as a non-runner, shouldn't it be spares or repair?

It just shows the problems with all types of grading system* (including the confusing and nonsensical 'eras'). Good/excellent applies to the body (assuming the raised cab is merely due to mislocation of the body on the chassis**, rather than constructional errors), but not the 'works'.

* This one is quite reasonable as far as it goes.

Incidentally, value drops dramatically from 'mint' to 'near mint' and then again to 'excellent', tapering off as the condition falls to 'average' (somewhere between 'good' and 'fair'). 'Poor' is typically around 10% of 'mint', but does obviously depend on how much is missing. A decent box adds considerably to the value.That is leaving aside the subjectivivity of the ratings - like the 'tat'/'prized' above one man's 'excellent ' is another's 'poor' (see the discussion on the 'Hachette' coaches).

** There is also the question of the rear facing BR lion transfer. Correcting this might be straightforward, but its removal might damage the underlying paintwork.

Edited by Il Grifone

Guess so judging by the alignment of the lavatory windows, the colour of the roof, the solid underframe (just visible) and as it says "made for Hachette" in the description ;)

Edited by C&WR

• RMweb Gold

Well he's said Hachette and started at 99p so fools and money........  (or maybe too slow to get to a retailer when Pt1 was on the shelves, or MAYBE someone who needs just one more, so doesn't mind paying 'cos the rest of the rake was so cheap?)

I was looking more at the price, thinking I might put one or two on to fund some bits for conversion of a couple more.

Sorry, just having a giggle.  Mine dressed up cost me about £8 apiece so if I was to flog them there would be a wee bit of profit, perhaps!

• Like 2

We have mentioned this one before and here it is again:-

How many times does he have to list this to realise nobody is buying it because it is not worth £120.

It is an Airfix 4F with a tender cab fitted.

This does not make it Finescale either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-MODEL-No-54123-FOWLER-4F-FOWLER-0-6-0-TENDER-CAB-LOCO-/300921772280?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item461055d8f8

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have mentioned this one before and here it is again:-

How many times does he have to list this to realise nobody is buying it because it is not worth £120.

It is an Airfix 4F with a tender cab fitted.

This does not make it Finescale either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-MODEL-No-54123-FOWLER-4F-FOWLER-0-6-0-TENDER-CAB-LOCO-/300921772280?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item461055d8f8

Why pick on that poor little loco, your second line applies to the majority of his stock!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Well several of the sellers who regularly feature here have the mindset that "There must be a mug out there who'll pay these ridiculous prices, surely? ",  but most people know better. :banghead:

Edited by Wellyboots

• RMweb Gold

After the nuclear blast a few days ago, we seem to have entered an autumnal period of mists and mellow fruitfulness.  This guy's been out and about with his camera and has a few of these.  Maybe entries for next year's Counrtyfile calendar?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-dcc-sound-class-25-weathered-v-good-condition-/251357318440?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a86104d28

• RMweb Premium

After the nuclear blast a few days ago, we seem to have entered an autumnal period of mists and mellow fruitfulness.  This guy's been out and about with his camera and has a few of these.  Maybe entries for next year's Counrtyfile calendar?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-dcc-sound-class-25-weathered-v-good-condition-/251357318440?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a86104d28

It does say "weathered" - presumably with fog! :jester:

Keith

Sorry, just having a giggle.  Mine dressed up cost me about £8 apiece so if I was to flog them there would be a wee bit of profit, perhaps!

gallery_12119_2911_356236.jpg

The first one I have done up...not the best paint job...but it'll do. :)

gallery_12119_2911_87949.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

That will be the sound waves vibrating the speaker and causing the whole loco to shake.

Bernard

Well several of the sellers who regularly feature here have the mindset that "There must be a mug out there who'll pay these ridiculous prices, surely? ",  but most people know better. :banghead:

It does only need one! (Phineas T. proved right yet again....)

Well he's said Hachette and started at 99p so fools and money........  (or maybe too slow to get to a retailer when Pt1 was on the shelves, or MAYBE someone who needs just one more, so doesn't mind paying 'cos the rest of the rake was so cheap?)

They are apparently available as back issues from Hachette themselves.   http://modelrailwayvillage.com/contact.php