EBay madness

Marcyg

I strongly object to having my search criteria clogged up with pages and pages of trees, paints, Del Prado models, US outline items, etc etc. However, such things happen when viewing Trains/Railway Models and cant really be removed, so i've never found dummy listings to be too much of a hassle.

Edited by 84A

....Probably because it isn't an issue worth reporting. Like I said, eBay receive a FVF if the item sells, regardless whether it has been completely listed on a Saturday or a Monday night. Therefore, it is not within their interest to police this. Ultimately, eBay will make no more than, say, £1 per free list if people were forced to list them on a different day.....

Er....that's not the issue I reported. It was the misrepresentation I reported, which I don't expect eBay to do anything about.

Why? I don't understand the problem. If you dont have 4 hours to spend on eBay on a Saturday night, what is so wrong with firing off 30 odd bland listings at a set price within half an hour, and then updating them later?

The problem? None as long as you come back and fill it with something sensible - the complaint is when they listings are not filled and just gum up the search result - like so many listings these days.

The real problem with ebay is the inadequate search system. It would be nice to be able to selectively exclude categories for example I have no interest in out of date copies of RM/HM/BRM so excluding catalogues and magazines would be nice, also no interest in G or Z and rarely N or structures. If the search could be better refined then I'd spend less wasted time on ebay and probably more following items I really am interested in.

Am I missing something?

When I search on train set, model loco, Hornby engine or whatever, I then get my search results with a list of categories down the left hand margin. 

I can then tick a box to refine the search.  Hence, I tick OO usually, to exclude EM, P4 and anything else extraneous. :jester:

Am I missing something?

When I search on train set, model loco, Hornby engine or whatever, I then get my search results with a list of categories down the left hand margin. 

I can then tick a box to refine the search.  Hence, I tick OO usually, to exclude EM, P4 and anything else extraneous. :jester:

Yes I think so. Because the last thing I want is to exclude everything I do want. Hornby is a rather useless search term because of all the listing spamming that includes it even for non Hornby items. One of my searches is ("brass, kits" -"n gauge" -built) but it is astounding how much comes up in the listing that is neither brass or a kit!

In the end (as I've said before) it is simpler to get a listing of everything and do a visual scan of images hoping that the picture reflects what is being searched for. I also have some very specific searches that run in the vain hope that one might come up for sale at a reasonable price. If you wait long enough ....

Edited by Kenton

One of my searches is ("brass, kits" -"n gauge" -built) but it is astounding how much comes up in the listing that is neither brass or a kit!

I just tried that combination and got some of GoStude's wealth of offers. 

Never again :O

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

I strongly object to having my search criteria clogged up with pages and pages of trees, paints, Del Prado models, US outline items, etc etc. However, such things happen when viewing Trains/Railway Models and cant really be removed, so i've never found dummy listings to be too much of a hassle.

So, in your search box, you specify -Del Prado -tree etc, and they magically disappear.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-R561-TRIANG-CONTAINER-WAGON-B913011-MINT-BOXED-ah/230585285717?_trksid=p3984.m2045&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D128%26meid%3D1837449910742391367%26pid%3D100018%26prg%3D1108%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D231065804197%26

£27.50 for this common Triang wagon from Gostude!  So common indeed that he has 2 available.

I picked one up from my local model shop's second hand shelf for £2.50 less than a year ago.

Ah, but this one is in a "Factory Fresh" box! ;)

TRIANG Hornby R561

TRIANG CONTAINER WAGON

WAGON No.  B913011

MINT BOXED - With Triang Toys Pedigree Prams Load.

PERFECT.  Comes in a crisp factory fresh box. Box type may vary.

A great item for your collection.

Was Brigton works in Glasgow?

"Thank you for bringing it to my attention - ive missed the 'h'' out of the Brighton. I've just realized in the light of day.
Ill get that sorted today as a know its import.

Once again many thanks for letting me know!

Regards"

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never heard of "Great British Railways".  The loco is named "King William IV" so what is the reference to "Royal Mail" all about?

TMC R3074 GWR King Class Royal Mail Great British Railways Ltd Edition Weathered

Never heard of "Great British Railways".  The loco is named "King William IV" so what is the reference to "Royal Mail" all about?

"Hornby R3074 The Royal Mail British Stamps Collection GWR 'King William IV' 00 Gauge Limited Edition Steam Locomotive"

found that description on Amazon, Colin

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold