EBay madness

Marcyg

HOW much? Crikey.

This one will have the Swindonians slavering, I bet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-4-6-4-/321222437040?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4aca5968b0

Some interesting model-bashing/scratchbuilding from the 60s or 70s by the look of it.  I wouldn't give them houseroom as models but as curious period pieces I find them strangely appealing.  The seller is realistic about a starting price too.

A nice bit of keyword spamming here.  He's got 7 of these which look like Hachette jobs.  I've always thought they would scrub up nicely, but for 25 quid a pop and with the description, he won't be seeing any of my hard earned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5035-West-Coast-Railways-Mk1-Coach-Weathered-Bachmann-Hornby-Maroon-37-47-/261301041318?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd6c178a6

It's definitely Hachette - the horizontal bar on the toilet windows doesn't line up with the others (their most obvious error on these models IMHO) and has a solid underframe (the second).

Edited by Il Grifone

seems to be a placeholder, he prices everything at the same price so he can fill in the blanks later. I've seen this a few times, peeps taking advantage of free listing weekends

Edit:

and now its a  Lima Police Class 37 for £60 more

Edited by thaddeus

I have also bought from the dealer Hayfield mentioned, and have had good service. I haven't bought anything for a while as there don't seem so many bargains as there was.

However, that doesn't stop him making an error in his listing.

I pointed out to another dealer that he was listing items incorrectly, and said that a dealer should check his items with more care. He replied that he didn't know anything about railway modelling and guessed.

This is strange as he lists a large number of railway models, and must guess at the high prices he puts on items.

I suppose if he finds a very worn penny with a Queen's head and undecipherable lettering, he guesses that it must be Queen Victoria and so puts a high price on it.

What a way to do business.

Earlswood nob

• Like 1

What a way to do business.

I think some traders do a little research of ebay prices. Lets face it some of the final prices are really silly and some just consistently way over the top. Any s/h item really should be selling for less than the currently available price. So if an old RTR loco seems to regularly go for £60 then that is where they are likely to start their price or BIN. If it is a kit they will double that simply because that is what people pay.

Describing things correctly is a problem - they may not know or simply do not have the time to be bothered. Then it either becomes someone's bargain or it sells at a lower price than it might have done. This lower price may still be better than disposing of the item - it still produces cash flow and a business profit.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-103-SCRATCH-BUILT-GWR-SIGNAL-BOX-based-on-NEWCASTLE-EMLYN-/121188435127?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c3764c4b7

Anyone noticed this? I'm sorry if it isn't a link as I'm hopeless at doing that.

Now this is quite a classy item but what the he** is the bidding at this price all about?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-103-SCRATCH-BUILT-GWR-SIGNAL-BOX-based-on-NEWCASTLE-EMLYN-/121188435127?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c3764c4b7

Anyone noticed this? I'm sorry if it isn't a link as I'm hopeless at doing that.

Now this is quite a classy item but what the he** is the bidding at this price all about?

P

There is some interesting stuff if you go through his other items.

Just how long have some of them been hiding in the back of the cupboard?

The bidding on several items does seem rather odd.

I like his descriptions.

I smile to myself at his attempt at the Bulldog variant and his honesty in calling it a work in progress.

I never managed to get mine running with a motor in the loco all those years ago.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

seems to be a placeholder, he prices everything at the same price so he can fill in the blanks later. I've seen this a few times, peeps taking advantage of free listing weekends

I asked the vendor what it was his reply was "Saturday and Sunday were free listing days and I will revise them later" still didn't answer my question.

I asked the vendor what it was his reply was "Saturday and Sunday were free listing days and I will revise them later" still didn't answer my question.

thaddeus has nailed it, these are empty placeholder listings. 

The seller opened them at the weekend to avoid listing fees and they look like this until they are populated with info about an actual bona fide loco he has for sale.

A nice bit of keyword spamming here.  He's got 7 of these which look like Hachette jobs.  I've always thought they would scrub up nicely, but for 25 quid a pop and with the description, he won't be seeing any of my hard earned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5035-West-Coast-Railways-Mk1-Coach-Weathered-Bachmann-Hornby-Maroon-37-47-/261301041318?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd6c178a6

2 Hatchette Jobs here...but at £0.99 starts....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-BR-SO-COACH-SECOND-OPEN-MAROON-Made-by-Bachmann-/131012881185

I think someone is going to be mightily disappointed in the old Ks kit in the DJH box... Fine example of a DJH kit, indeed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310757174674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Dave Franks

It looks like someone has copied and pasted from Wiki-thingy as well....

At least the parentage of that one is readily apparent! Our old friend "Nellie"! ;)

P

Yes, a nice model...possibly someone likes it a lot more! ;)

• Like 1

The seller opened them at the weekend to avoid listing fees

Which is a reportable issue to ebay. They have it withi their means to prevent this abuse of the free listing process simply by preventing the editing of the first listing. It is an abuse of the system we all 'pay' for in the end.

• RMweb Gold

P

If you go on a weeks work at minimum wage you wouldn't be far away on the price plus materials.Ask me how I know.

Which is a reportable issue to ebay. They have it withi their means to prevent this abuse of the free listing process simply by preventing the editing of the first listing. It is an abuse of the system we all 'pay' for in the end.

Quite.

Then there's this wheeze

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-Nissan-Qashqai-1-5-dCi-BEIGE-Acenta-5dr-BREAKING-ALL-PARTS-AVALIABLE-SPARES/390671190095?_trksid=p3984.m2206&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D129%26meid%3D1820804719955927618%26pid%3D100052%26prg%3D1108%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D300651705768%26

Have an auction for one wheel nut & invite phone calls for the rest of the bits available, thus presumably bypassing all listing fees, buyer protection etc etc... Yes, he claims "we'll list on eBay", but would he?

Hachettes certainly, but the "made by Bachmann" is misrepresentation, seeing that Bachmann have denied having anything to do with them! The description of "SO SECOND OPEN" is also in error, as the corridor wall is clearly visible through the windows.

Someone who missed out has bid on them though.

Hachettes certainly, but the "made by Bachmann" is misrepresentation, seeing that Bachmann have denied having anything to do with them! The description of "SO SECOND OPEN" is also in error, as the corridor wall is clearly visible through the windows.

Someone who missed out has bid on them though.

I've reported it, not that eBay will do anything.

Something I have listed on ebay at the moment has been viewed two times and has four people watching it, according to the figures.

Eh? :scratchhead:

On ebays newish "My feed" front page the images generate a mouseover watch link, so you dont have to actually view the page if it looks like something you might want

Why? I don't understand the problem. If you dont have 4 hours to spend on eBay on a Saturday night, what is so wrong with firing off 30 odd bland listings at a set price within half an hour, and then updating them later? You are still listing the same 30 items, and if they sell, eBay still get the same fee. It is completely within the rules (100/200 free listings per user), and I dont see how anyone needs to pay unless you are purchasing the item. Compare getting 5 lots of FVF's with 50...

I've reported it, not that eBay will do anything.

Probably because it isn't an issue worth reporting. Like I said, eBay receive a FVF if the item sells, regardless whether it has been completely listed on a Saturday or a Monday night. Therefore, it is not within their interest to police this. Ultimately, eBay will make no more than, say, £1 per free list if people were forced to list them on a different day. However, if an item sells for £20, or £30, they will make £2/£3.

I'm pretty sure some users are just moaning for the sake of moaning.

Edited by 84A

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-R561-TRIANG-CONTAINER-WAGON-B913011-MINT-BOXED-ah/230585285717?_trksid=p3984.m2045&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D128%26meid%3D1837449910742391367%26pid%3D100018%26prg%3D1108%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D231065804197%26

£27.50 for this common Triang wagon from Gostude!  So common indeed that he has 2 available.

I picked one up from my local model shop's second hand shelf for £2.50 less than a year ago.

Edited by cessna152towser