EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

"Hornby R3074 The Royal Mail British Stamps Collection GWR 'King William IV' 00 Gauge Limited Edition Steam Locomotive"

Been readily available even recently. Birmingham MZ still had one on their shelf when the Hornby stock was recaptured.

I bought the King Arthur stamp version a couple of months ago there (at a reasonable discount)

IIRC Hornby's unweathered price was about £143

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Looks like another interesting relic of a less affluent, less well commercially supplied era.  If I had the disposable income and storage space to collect anything other than useable models, I think I could be tempted to start hunting down and buying such pieces because I think they are worth preserving in their own right as a tribute to all those who put in such commendable efforts.  What models like this represent is too important to condemn them to the bin.

• Like 1

Looks like another interesting relic of a less affluent, less well commercially supplied era.  If I had the disposable income and storage space to collect anything other than useable models, I think I could be tempted to start hunting down and buying such pieces because I think they are worth preserving in their own right as a tribute to all those who put in such commendable efforts.  What models like this represent is too important to condemn them to the bin.

Very interesting point, previously I had thought of this kind of thing as 'not up to current standard' so dismissed them, but you have a very valid approach.  I guess it depends what you want from a model collection.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not madness, just a talking point.  The cogniscenti on here will know one of our usual suspects has had a Gaiety tank on sale for ages (body only?).  Well here's a WORKING one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Gaiety-Black-0-6-2-Class-N2-Tank-Loco-with-working-motor-00-Gauge-/261304849188?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd6fb9324

• Like 3

Not madness, just a talking point.  The cogniscenti on here will know one of our usual suspects has had a Gaiety tank on sale for ages (body only?).  Well here's a WORKING one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Gaiety-Black-0-6-2-Class-N2-Tank-Loco-with-working-motor-00-Gauge-/261304849188?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd6fb9324

Nice. :sungum:

It looks like Mainline models are not the only ones that loose their quartering on the driving wheels! ;)

Well almost working, it looks like at least one of the wheels is loose on its axle (not unusual with Gaiety chassis*). The N2 (despite the number!) is much less common than the pannier (but a better casting) - probably because it's nearly identical to the Dublo one. The original finish appears to be plain black, without the raised lettering being picked out, though this would be the first thing anyone did to it. I have a three rail version (bought many years ago) with her box. the pickup is a almost rigid piece of metal which ensures that she won't pull much, unlike the Dublo version, which will easily manage heavy loads (like eight Dublo coaches - not the freest of runners). The Trackmaster/Tri-ang clockwork N2 is a different (and nearer to scale) casting again.

The price is rather high (neither model is worth much!), but rather more realistic than our friend's.

* Probably why Hattons would supply the pannier with either a Tri-ang or Hornby Dublo chassis!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone shed light on why, oh why, Gaeity decided to make an N2, when Hornby Dublo already did so?

It seems it was regarded at the time as something of a freelance design albeit with an air of the N2 about it (it carried an ex LMS group number for example).  I suspect N2s were de rigeur because they offered a body with plenty of space for a mechanism - and there was another one on the market from Trackmaster who were taken over by Rovex which - for a while - brought an N2 to the Triang range although I think it was only available with a clockwork mechanism.

The Tri-ang* N2 (69561 IIRC) was only available in clockwork (later replaced by the 0-6-0 mechanism fitted to the diesel shunter and the saddle tank (has anyone ever made a half decent model from either of these?) There was also a model from Kirdon, which I have only seen in adverts. This seems to be a similar casting to the Tri-ang, but without the keyhole.

It was always a mystery to me too as to the attraction of the N2 (why not a 56xx?), especially since the models are all dimensionally challenged ( the Dublo model as her wheelbase to H0 scale - copied by the Gaiety - the Tri-ang is better on this count). In the fifties, I had a book of various projects for boys, one of which was a loco body from metal sheet guess what - an N2!

* Tri-ang to include Trackmaster. There are only minor differences if any in the body casting.- the chassis have fine BRMSB wheels (non-insulated) for the Trackmaster and Tri-ang steam rollers on theirs, which I assume are insulated for running on 2 rail. The couplings are also different.

If anyone wants a pannier tank, this beauty is still available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360596205507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

She's different from the normal Gaiety with the body casting being in three pieces (one of which is missing and has been replaced with wood). She's similar to the Gaiety casting but I don't know if made by them or a copy, or even, if this is the original. Mine has no maker's markings.

The Gaiety loco usually (always?) has the number 5700, but is clearly supposed to be a 2721.

Here endeth the history lesson, which should really have been in the Collectable/Vintage thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41610-who-made-it-diecast-n2/

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I love how some people spend a couple of days doing a paint re-spray without doing the proper research before hand, I spent 2 weeks researching and finding pictures and video's while researching a particular wagon, I even went to Cardiff for a particular train just to see the required wagon and at the end of it realised that each wagon was different.

The key to a good and proper model is the research beforehand.

• RMweb Gold

I think everything he's selling is either rare or unusual.  Must be great to have a collectors 'eye' for these things?

• Like 1

Depending on what was causing the degradation to the loco I don't think I would want it amongst my collection especially if there is anything that could spread causing damage to my other pieces (as in lead rot) 

THE CONDITION OF THE OLD Hornby DUBLO 2224 BOX - OR WHAT IS LEFT OF IT - SPEAKS FOR ITSELF...!!!

GETTING HARD TO FIND NOW AT SENSIBLE MONEY

Not surprising really since any normal person would have put it in the rubbish bin long before it got to that state. Incredible it has 6 bids already!

Keith