EBay madness

Marcyg

After seeing the NSE 166(-1 Carriage) ebay pointed me towards this.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382375036451

I have a new “favourite” model

The old SWT trains are looking worse for wear

OliverSR

Reminds me of how these railway companies find excuses to keep Pacers in service when pretty clearly they have well reached their sell by date.

• RMweb Premium

That looks fresh out of Park Royal compared to the abortion sitting on my workbench, lemme at it!

Bernie

• RMweb Gold

Interesting sales strategy here.  Unless I'm missing something you have to wade through 5.5 pages of unsold tat items until you actually get to anything that sold in any category

Guest theonlydt

Every non-working, melted running plate, repainted smokebox penny.

A new one is £109.99, so, £10 more.

If I wanted THAT one - where would I find a spare motor. Spent 10 minutes googling, on DJM website, Kernow website, Peter's Spares etc and nowhere can I find the part number or replacement part available.

Raises an interesting point re. DJM. I like DJM and what he's doing, but what's the parts availability going to be like? Has he selected/engaged someone to carry parts? Does he order parts from the factory?

Hoping to cash in on someone not reading the small print.

It does state in large letters it is a non runner in the very first picture.

If somebody doesnt realise what they are getting in this example then they only have themselves to blame.

And right after the Good boxed condition it says

Which rather contradicts the good.

regards

Rails seem to be trying to force the price of second hand stuff through the roof, who in their right mind would pay that price for such a pile of junk.

The shop seems to have gone down hill in the last couple of years, while they are great at discounting new stuff, they seem to think that charging extortionate prices for second hand not so good stuff is ok.

Raises an interesting point re. DJM. I like DJM and what he's doing, but what's the parts availability going to be like? Has he selected/engaged someone to carry parts? Does he order parts from the factory?

At Stafford exhibition earlier this month DJM had a stand upon which were some 50% price reduced boxed models labelled NQP (explained on a nearby sheet as Not Quite Perfect) which had on the face of it minor defects.

Assuming these were customer returns, if spares were available, wouldn't it make sense to repair the minor defects and cut the loss?

Or at least have the spares needed to fix the defects on sale as well?

I didn't ask specifically if parts were available as none of the models were relevant to my interests.

Edited by leopardml2341

For the work that has gone into them and the basic price of the coach, not too bad IMHO.

Mike.

Several of the windows have gaping holes where the builder hasn't bothered to fill the gap between a round window and a square hole. There's visible seams where the windows used to be, which means either poor conversion work or very, very thin paint. The modified ends have sloppy filling and the corners are a mess.

Normally this would all be acceptable but for five hundred quid I expect a damn sight better. This guy is vastly over-valuing his abilities. Or he's a shyster, because it's Ebay after all.

• RMweb Premium

Several of the windows have gaping holes where the builder hasn't bothered to fill the gap between a round window and a square hole. There's visible seams where the windows used to be, which means either poor conversion work or very, very thin paint. The modified ends have sloppy filling and the corners are a mess.

Normally this would all be acceptable but for five hundred quid I expect a damn sight better. This guy is vastly over-valuing his abilities. Or he's a shyster, because it's Ebay after all.

Many years ago when the Hornby new HST came out he sold a full respray of the power cars in the merlin great western livery. I snapped them up with the mk3’s to match. When it arrived the workmanship was not what was expected from the price and the description. The Ivory was a completely different shade to the trailers, reason given? The varnish caused it. Needless to say I was not happy so raised the issue further with no help from eBay at all. I ended up having to keep, I was very new to eBay at the time too. I weathered and that dramatically improved the look. I sold 3 years later, thankfully I ended up not loosing a penny on what I paid. He done some fag packet ones not too long back and the quality again was poor, the eBay photos had many issues showing around the cab etc and the transfers had Split’s etc.

I have to agree, he massively over estimates his abilities, especially when it’s complicated models/liveries.

Edited by Ncarter2