Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Picking up on the quoted post above about the lack of contempoary layouts there's an idea, maybe I should build a "layout" that's a mass of greenery and claim that there's a railway somewhere underneath it :)

Ah, you've seen "Cliffhanger", then? :D

*preparing for my own lynching*......

• RMweb Premium

interesting story, Clive. Did you ever serve with Foggy Dewhurst?

Surely, if a well trained jungle nose could detect the faint whiff of soap, a group of heavily sweating, unwashed blokes would be even easier to track ?

Hi Guys

Seriously when in the jungle we did not wash with soap. An unwashed body blends in with the smells of the jungle.

I am sure the writers of Last of the Summer Wine knew our jungle instructors, Foggy told the same stories as they did :mosking:

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Surely, if a well trained jungle nose could detect the faint whiff of soap, a group of heavily sweating, unwashed blokes would be even easier to track ?

Hi Guys

Seriously when in the jungle we did not wash with soap. An unwashed body blends in with the smells of the jungle.

I am sure the writers of Last of the Summer Wine knew our jungle instructors, Foggy told the same stories as they did :mosking:

You've heard of "the rank and file"? Well they were the rank... very, very, rank...

:jester: :jester:

On a point of clarification - does the NEC count as town or not ? I would hate to break this rule ..

Mike b

Town actually only referred to London and the saying referred to wearing brown boots with a blue suit. Before I get lynched by those north of watford this saying came from posh people  who thought the north was simplly for hunting, house parties and shooting grouse

• RMweb Premium

Smelly people, all the smelly people in Worcester were in one place today, Tescos, it reeked of the Fagash and BO aftershave

Edited by MJI

Have a Sh!t, Shave and a Shower before going to the show and also wear clean clothes!!!!!!!

(Obviously after ironing the said clothing).

or even wear a suit collar and tie. Black shoes of course, no brown around town.

It's quite interesting to see the operators at pre-war shows. They always wear a suit or a blazer and tie as do layout builders seen in many of the early post war magazines - well those not wearing dog collars anyway. Granted that at the pre war MRC shows the operators always seem to have been Bill Banwell and Frank Applegate with their 0 gauge Maybank MLT while most of the other exhibits were individual models in display cases, but if you look a the public they're also similarly attired and there's not a rucksack in sight. 

• RMweb Gold

Town actually only referred to London and the saying referred to wearing brown boots with a blue suit. Before I get lynched by those north of watford this saying came from posh people  who thought the north was simplly for hunting, house parties and shooting grouse

sounds good fun to me :)

As a born and bred Northener (well as far as Londoners are concerned) I'm up for a hunting and shooting posh people party, what do you reckon Mickey?

• Like 2

As a born and bred Northener (well as far as Londoners are concerned) I'm up for a hunting and shooting posh people party, what do you reckon Mickey?

Aaaah! Good old fashioned English class warfare! Ironic isn't it, that the vast majority of what the British consider as "posh" are from families that made their wealth and changed their social status during periods of great social mobility ("the rise of the middling sort", "rise of the mercantile class") as opposed to being bona-fide aristocrats.

If we really want to go down that particular road, then I reckon I have the ultimate trump card. I was born in Rome (SPQR and all that), so my ancestors owned your ancestors! And, quite frankly, using the same yardstick, I could say anything beyond Augusta Rarica is "oop north" and full of barbarians, woad covered savages and quite beyond the civilized world as we (i.e. the Romans) know it.

Now, let's get back to causing a rumpus at a model railway exhibition....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1

It's quite interesting to see the operators at pre-war shows. They always wear a suit or a blazer and tie as do layout builders seen in many of the early post war magazines - well those not wearing dog collars anyway. Granted that at the pre war MRC shows the operators always seem to have been Bill Banwell and Frank Applegate with their 0 gauge Maybank MLT while most of the other exhibits were individual models in display cases, but if you look a the public they're also similarly attired and there's not a rucksack in sight.

They dressed the same for Railtours as well, right into the 1960's. Running around Steam Sheds in collar & tie!! All very Gentlemanly & civilised. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps there ought to be a similar dress code at today's exhibitons...

I did suggest that as my layout was set in the sixties we all dressed as mods, smart tonic suits, button down Ben Sherman shirts..........Whoops, you should have seen the look of horror on my son and my mate's faces, both are Goths :O :o

• Like 1

Perhaps there ought to be a similar dress code at today's exhibitons...

Just to make you all laugh. In the 60s you wore a suit to work. There were to be some publicity shots in an office. A senior manager visited the office and saw that most staff were wearing cheap suits. Before the phots were taken the manager issued chits for the staff to visit a well known tailor and get bettter suits.Incidentally I wore a suit, blazer or sports jacket to work untill the day I retired. (for those too young - Sports Jacket - like a blazer but made from tweed. Best Quality was Harris Tweed)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I went to the Falmouth exhibition yesterday, and whilst most of the members were wearing the club's rugby style shirt, one member did have a shirt and LSWR  tie on, beneath a suitable Southern green jumper.

• Like 3

Id prefer to hunt townies if I get a say.....

I like my rural outlook on life...old fashioned, illiberal, outdated as it may be :D

Ahh! A big festive High Six to you my close-ish neighbour!

I 'existed' in London for far too many years, waking up to car alarms, sirens & a 24/7 racket.

Compare that to waking up to an uninterrupted view of the Taw estuary, silence & peace.

It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Also, there's very little truth in the rumour that we country folk have webbed fingers, sleep with our cousins & eat our young etc.

Right, I'm off to the annual Townie roast & witch drowning!

Cheers

Rob (witchfinder general - North Devon Chapter) westcountryman

• Like 2

Then if you ever attend one where there are signs stating 'collar and tie must be worn', you could turn up wearing ONLY a collar and tie! :-)

For the love of all that's holy don't issue this challenge to Boris, he doesn't need any more encouragement to create mayhem and shocking mental images.

Edited by KevinWalsh

Aaaah! Good old fashioned English class warfare! Ironic isn't it, that the vast majority of what the British consider as "posh" are from families that made their wealth and changed their social status during periods of great social mobility ("the rise of the middling sort", "rise of the mercantile class") as opposed to being bona-fide aristocrats.

If we really want to go down that particular road, then I reckon I have the ultimate trump card. I was born in Rome (SPQR and all that), so my ancestors owned your ancestors! And, quite frankly, using the same yardstick, I could say anything beyond Augusta Rarica is "oop north" and full of barbarians, woad covered savages and quite beyond the civilized world as we (i.e. the Romans) know it.

Now, let's get back to causing a rumpus at a model railway exhibition....

So what went wrong since? :jester:

Andy