Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

The last push-pull service in Britain ran on the LMR in 1965 but I think the last autocoaches had all gone from the WR a while before that but there's bound to be a book on them. WR autocoaches might of course have been recycled for departmental use and acquired a monastral blue (rail blue) livery that way.

I believe the only steam locos to be repainted in "rail blue" were those on the Vale of Rheidol and they didn't get the yellow panel. I never thought that livery suited them so was glad to see them returned to God's Wonderful Railway Green.

The last push-pull service in Britain ran on the LMR in 1965 but I think the last autocoaches had all gone from the WR a while before that but there's bound to be a book on them. WR autocoaches might of course have been recycled for departmental use and acquired a monastral blue (rail blue) livery that way.

I believe the only steam locos to be repainted in "rail blue" were those on the Vale of Rheidol and they didn't get the yellow panel. I never thought that livery suited them so was glad to see them returned to God's Wonderful Railway Green.

I did personally see the LT Epping-Ongar push pull some time in the sixties. I guess it was replaced before 1965.

Andy

The last push-pull service in Britain ran on the LMR in 1965 but I think the last autocoaches had all gone from the WR a while before that but there's bound to be a book on them....

As far as I'm aware the WR ran a push-pull service between Sharpness & Lydney for the schoolchildren at Lydney Grammar right up until 1965/ end of WR steam?? When the River Severn bridge was demolished by runaway barges in 1960 the service ran via Gloucester, a trip of over 40 miles....

Edited by F-UnitMad

• 1 month later...

As far as I'm aware the WR ran a push-pull service between Sharpness & Lydney for the schoolchildren at Lydney Grammar right up until 1965/ end of WR steam?? When the River Severn bridge was demolished by runaway barges in 1960 the service ran via Gloucester, a trip of over 40 miles....

I thought the Royal Navy quoted for the demolition work.

• RMweb Premium

I was spotting at Bristol around mid-1976 while working in the area, there was what looked very much like an auto coach at Bath Road depot, presumably seconded into departmental service; I'm fairly sure it had been painted rail blue, but could only see the coach end-on and from a distance. Any Bristolians or SWAG types able to confirm this?

• RMweb Premium

I was spotting at Bristol around mid-1976 while working in the area, there was what looked very much like an auto coach at Bath Road depot, presumably seconded into departmental service; I'm fairly sure it had been painted rail blue, but could only see the coach end-on and from a distance. Any Bristolians or SWAG types able to confirm this?

Inspection saloon DW80975 AFAIR

Might try some of these out at the Erith MRC show tomorrow.

Problem is I have just had a shower and the missus has put all my dirty clothes into wash.

Can't find my rucksack, fitted with bricks to hit people with either.

Found some money to spend. Are 10/- notes still legal tender?

You will recognise me as I will be the one walking around with a daffodil sticking out my rear end!

Interestingly, a U.S.-centric model car forum I'm on had a thread complaining about car modellers at shows and swap meets. Their moans were exactly the same, personal hygiene, blocking aisles, etc. There wasn't anything about backpacks but someone had a go about obese people on mobility scooters that turned into a row when some, er, shall we say larger folk, started to get annoyed. This lead to the thread bing locked!

steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One guy at Kendal Show today was a candidate for lynching. He was well dressed, clean, odour free and his backpack was sufficiently small to be acceptable. However he clearly had the nasty cold/flu bug which has been circulating around the area for ages, as demonstrated by his coughing and sneezing. A great way of clearing other visitors from around layouts so he got a good view, but I wonder how many operators now have his germs.

Might try some of these out at the Erith MRC show tomorrow.

Problem is I have just had a shower and the missus has put all my dirty clothes into wash.

Can't find my rucksack, fitted with bricks to hit people with either.

Found some money to spend. Are 10/- notes still legal tender?

You will recognise me as I will be the one walking around with a daffodil sticking out my rear end!

I counted at least twenty punter today going around looking at peoples rear ends.

Or perhaps that is just their thing!

Nobody commented on my daffodil. (I did wear a long pullover though).

Good all round show, even though a bit bias towards N gauge.

Best layout without a doubt is Wansbeck Road. (Modelling excellence).

One guy at Kendal Show today was a candidate for lynching. He was well dressed, clean, odour free and his backpack was sufficiently small to be acceptable. However he clearly had the nasty cold/flu bug which has been circulating around the area for ages, as demonstrated by his coughing and sneezing. A great way of clearing other visitors from around layouts so he got a good view, but I wonder how many operators now have his germs.

Much like the victim in The Mirror Cracked who went out to meet her favourite film star despite suffering from rubella, with tragic results... (based on a true story),

• RMweb Premium

The Kendal story reminds me of when I was at a local show about 10 years ago; I was happily watching the action on one of the layouts when I heard a loud "wuuurghsssshhh" and the right side of my face abruptly went all wet. I was so surprised I could only stand transfixed - as did the layout operator, who looked quite horrified - as the character next to me calmly wiped his nose and shuffled off without the merest hint of an apology, as if what he'd done was the most natural thing in the world - perhaps it was to him!

The Kendal story reminds me of when I was at a local show about 10 years ago; I was happily watching the action on one of the layouts when I heard a loud "wuuurghsssshhh" and the right side of my face abruptly went all wet. I was so surprised I could only stand transfixed - as did the layout operator, who looked quite horrified - as the character next to me calmly wiped his nose and shuffled off without the merest hint of an apology, as if what he'd done was the most natural thing in the world - perhaps it was to him!

In this case lynching would be too good for the @#$%&****. Talk about a lack of social graces....

Cheers,

David

Edited for spelling

Edited by davknigh

• RMweb Premium

I'm lying here in bed suffering just had a whisky lemon hot toddy.

Can you catch it over the inter.... A.......Choo!!!

In this case lynching would be too good for the @#$%&****. Talk about a lack of social graces....

Cheers,

David

Edited for spelling

Social Graces plus Model Railwayers = Does not compute!!!

Only joking, I know most of us are normal civilised respectful human beings.

Edited by andytrains

• RMweb Premium

Actually I find most people at Exhibitions are actually better mannered than the great unwashed in the local environs, (except for at church that is, where most people are too well mannered, except at a lot of Christening services for the folk that never ever enter a church for any other occasion; thought you would like to know this).

Q

Edited by Mallard60022

Actually I find most people at Exhibitions are actually better mannered than the great unwashed in the local environs, (except for at church that is, where most people are too well mannered, except at a lot of Christening services for the folk that never ever enter a church for any other occasion; though you would like to know this).

Q

Funny you should mention Christenings Mallard.I was a Godfather at my nephews Christening and was surprised to find that six families were attending for Christenings that day.We all stood around the font and the babies were baptised in turn. Unfortunately we had all been issued with small lit candles that you had to balance on your fingers on a fiendishly devised bit of folding paper that made balance all but impossible.

The inevitable happened and one poor fathers candle overbalanced and spilled scalding wax over his hand, he then uttered the sacred words,"FXXKING HXXL YOU BAXXARD!!"

Cue disapproving look from vicar and loud sniggers from the rest of the congregation,not from me I might add as I was deeply shocked at such language. :angel:

Edited by iainp

Speak for yourself.

A normal civilised respectful squid.

I'm sure that all normal squids do behave in a civilised, respectful manner. Many's the time I've observed one changing his or her body colour in pleasure at a particularly stimulating layout!

• Like 3