Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

I remember an old mate of mine rubbing Fiery Jack on his legs before the start of an early season bike race.

Then he went for a pee.................................... :O :no:

Edited by 5050

They dressed the same for Railtours as well, right into the 1960's. Running around Steam Sheds in collar & tie!! All very Gentlemanly & civilised. :sungum:

Perhaps there ought to be a similar dress code at today's exhibitons...

I have seen a Gentleman at several railway-related events who does keep these standards up! 

I've always wanted a 14xx and auto coach in rail blue.

Full yellow warning panels on auto coach as well, nice big Crossrail logos on the side of the tanks..

Always one for "could have beens"

Edited by MrChappy

I've always wanted a 14xx and auto coach in rail blue.

Full yellow warning panels on auto coach as well, nice big Crossrail logos on the side of the tanks..

Always one for "could have beens"

When did the last autocoach leave service? Given that blue/grey appeared in ~1965 it might be just theoretically possible to justify a blue/grey autocoach, even though none existed (I suspect) in reality :D.

There's a Blue/Grey Flying Banana on a certain layout!

Would love to see this.

More people should have a "fun" piece, even if it's just to keep the imagination alive.

On a personal note from when I was little going to shows and I know it used to really annoy me was layouts being way too high. I haven't been to a show recently would would hope the community has warmed up to being slightly more including of younger and disabled folks.

Edited by MrChappy

Be careful with that term - the "Flying Banana" I grew up with was blue/grey - it had two power cars on each end sandwiching a rake of MkIII coaches. I recently learnt that it's applied to a more recent vehicle too (the all-yellow Network Rail HST IIRC).

Edited by railsquid

• RMweb Gold

The Hayle club shows have spare chairs the little ones can use to stand on to see the layouts - which also act as a makeshift barrier if they are not placed within arns reach of the layout.

Saves on a lot of lynching...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Would love to see this.

More people should have a "fun" piece, even if it's just to keep the imagination alive.

On a personal note from when I was little going to shows and I know it used to really annoy me was layouts being way too high. I haven't been to a show recently would would hope the community has warmed up to being slightly more including of younger and disabled folks.

post-16423-0-30697400-1418283549_thumb.jpg

Hi MrChappy

I don't like standing all day when exhibiting.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Never. It is to give the impression that the junction to the shed is the other side of the bridge. Too many depot layouts seem to be in isolation of the rest of the railway.

I done the same thing on Hanging Hill, complete with a working point and a signal that was interlocked with the shed exit signal. The main line signal had to be red before the shed signal could be green. 

• Like 1

Now, back to annoying people at an exhibition.

So far we have only presented the exhibitor/visitor side. What about the trader's?

How about...

1. Register as a trader
  2. Put a very BIG sign out reading "ALL the 2014 models from your favourite manufacturers"
  3. Have a completely empty and bare stand.....
  4. Have a very small notice reading "subject to ship arriving from China"

OR

1. Register as a trader
  2. Put up a sign that reads "Pre-Owned and Rare Models"
  3. Fill the stand with chipped, cracked, broken and defective models, some with accompanying mildew and mould encrusted boxes (preferably mismatched with model)
  4. Indulge in lottery fantasies when writing out the price tags
  5. And whenever questioned about a model, always answer - no matter what the model - that "it's rare, is that, don't make them anymore, that's the price, take it or leave it"

OK, OK, I'll get me coat, (tin) hat and (flak) vest.

Edited by iL Dottore

1. Register as a trader
  3. Fill the stand with chipped, cracked, broken and defective models, some with accompanying mildew and mould encrusted boxes (preferably mismatched with model)
  5. And whenever questioned about a model, always answer - no matter what the model - that "it's rare, is that, don't make them anymore, that's the price, take it or leave it"

I hear there's a site called "i-bay" or something where you could get a lot of stock for your stall. I trust any product descriptions will be in atrocious English with frequent use of the grocer's apostrophe and inappropriate "quotation marks".

• Like 5

Now, back to annoying people at an exhibition.

So far we have only presented the exhibitor/visitor side. What about the trader's?

How about...

1. Register as a trader
  2. Put a very BIG sign out reading "ALL the 2014 models from your favourite manufacturers"
  3. Have a completely empty and bare stand.....
  4. Have a very small notice reading "subject to ship arriving from China"

OR

1. Register as a trader

OK, OK, I'll get me coat, (tin) hat and (flak) vest.

"Well, it's kit-built, innit ?" is usually the reply you get when querying the £100 price being asked of a very badly assembled, tar brush painted and non-working Wills engine on a Tri-ang chassis

• Like 2

"Well, it's kit-built, innit ?" is usually the reply you get when querying the £100 price being asked of a very badly assembled, tar brush painted and non-working Wills engine on a Tri-ang chassis

Or - and I really did have this said to me - "It IS O scale!!" when I queried the £125 price tag on a badly-Anglicised Atlas/Roco Plymouth Switcher, which should have been more like £20 at the time.... :D

When did the last autocoach leave service? Given that blue/grey appeared in ~1965 it might be just theoretically possible to justify a blue/grey autocoach, even though none existed (I suspect) in reality  :D.

The last push-pull service in Britain ran on the LMR in 1965 but I think the last autocoaches had all gone from the WR a while before that but there's bound to be a book on them. WR autocoaches might of course have been recycled for departmental use and acquired a monastral blue (rail blue) livery that way.

I believe the only steam locos to be repainted in "rail blue" were those on the Vale of Rheidol and they didn't get the yellow panel. I never thought that livery suited them so was glad to see them returned to God's Wonderful Railway Green.

Never. It is to give the impression that the junction to the shed is the other side of the bridge. Too many depot layouts seem to be in isolation of the rest of the railway.

I done the same thing on Hanging Hill, complete with a working point and a signal that was interlocked with the shed exit signal. The main line signal had to be red before the shed signal could be green. 

"Shame on you! Displaying a layout with the best part left at home. . . . .  I want my entrance money back". :triniti:

Seriously though, as a kid, the few times I saw dummy trackage on an exhibition layout, I got a great sense of disappointment. 

Once as a very young'un I saw a quite wonderful layout at a local show, that had a parallel tube line at the front, coming up out of the ground to the main station. I must have spent hours watching, waiting for the tube train to exit the tunnels, that never came. . . .

Edited by Andy Reichert