Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Ahh! A big festive High Six to you my close-ish neighbour!

I 'existed' in London for far too many years, waking up to car alarms, sirens & a 24/7 racket.

Compare that to waking up to an uninterrupted view of the Taw estuary, silence & peace.

It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Also, there's very little truth in the rumour that we country folk have webbed fingers, sleep with our cousins & eat our young etc.

Right, I'm off to the annual Townie roast & witch drowning!

Cheers

Rob (witchfinder general - North Devon Chapter) westcountryman

You haven't visited rural California yet then? 8)

Andy

• RMweb Premium

After accepting an invite from the Merseyside Club's exhibition manager, take all the wheels off your layout's cars, put them up on [model] bricks and say it's supposed to be round Liverpool. 

I've got an idea that could get an exhibitor lynched -

model a line with sections missing out of the track, a white van or truck (of dubious mechanical condition) nearby, and  say it is based in 2014

If anyone has a problem with their electrics & can't run trains, you could claim you're suffering from stolen signal cables... 

Edited by The White Rabbit

Perhaps an odometer odourometer outside the exhibition entrance, with a trapdoor leading to something like a sheepdip. Anyone passing the odourometer (via the sheepdip or straightforwardly) will be allowed to purchase an entrance ticket. To obviate any trouble, perhaps Il Dottore could lend a couple of fully armed legionaries from the nearest legion as bouncers on the door.

Dennis

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

O/T

Years ago Punch did an issue on the North.  In a survey to find out where "the North" was,the replies mentioned the next county, the next town, the next street, but never "here".

Back on topic, how about - for exhibitions held in autumn - taking a mixed bag of leaves and asking the operator what kinds are the "right sort" for their layout? In winter maybe some different types of snow, though you'd have to work out a way of keeping it frozen.

• RMweb Premium

Aaaah! Good old fashioned English class warfare! Ironic isn't it, that the vast majority of what the British consider as "posh" are from families that made their wealth and changed their social status during periods of great social mobility ("the rise of the middling sort", "rise of the mercantile class") as opposed to being bona-fide aristocrats.

If we really want to go down that particular road, then I reckon I have the ultimate trump card. I was born in Rome (SPQR and all that), so my ancestors owned your ancestors! And, quite frankly, using the same yardstick, I could say anything beyond Augusta Rarica is "oop north" and full of barbarians, woad covered savages and quite beyond the civilized world as we (i.e. the Romans) know it.

Now, let's get back to causing a rumpus at a model railway exhibition....

You didn't rule / own all of us, my ancesters using modern terminology are Scottish, Irish and a little lot that came to the UK from Scandinavia via northern France in 1066.

I wore a shirt and tie  in uniform  or later jacket and tie until I went to work in Saudi in 1996, out there a tie wasn't required (same company) since there my working life has been of a lower standard of dress but now I wear a white coat. We have at least one Gentlemman who  often turns up at the MRC in shirt and tie. If I were representing the club somewhere I would quite happily be formally dressed as I do when not sailing but representing my sailing club.

You often get a little more respect from the public at an exhibition when doing so (but not always).

• Like 2

Just for another laugh. At one railway I was asked if I dressed up for haloween. I replied I dont really do fancy dress.

A wag quiped " so a three piece serge suit, white shirt and company tie, fob watch on chain in one waistcoat pocker, whistle in other and flat hat with guard on it is NOT  fancy dress" :jester:

• Like 1

They dressed the same for Railtours as well, right into the 1960's. Running around Steam Sheds in collar & tie!! All very Gentlemanly & civilised. :sungum:

Mind you in an age when deodorant was unheard of and bathing was a weekly event I'm not sure that pre-war exhibitions would have been any more fragrant than today's.

• RMweb Premium

Mind you in an age when deodorant was unheard of and bathing was a weekly event I'm not sure that pre-war exhibitions would have been any more fragrant than today's.

Deoderant was heard of in those days, Brut33 or Old Spice in red original or Green Lime essence.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Deoderant was heard of in those days, Brut33 or Old Spice in red original or Green Lime essence.

Jamie

I wasn't aware that these products existed pre 1939! The deodorant of choice/default well into the 70s was the lingering smell of tobacco smoke on tweed jackets, pullovers and suits plus the actual pipe and fag smoke in the venues. Smokers also, allegedly, have poorer sense of smell, so other underlying odours may not have been so noticeable.

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jamie

You must be refering to The Falklands war, I Think Pacific 231G would be refering to WW2,

Brut 33 was available in the UK from 1973

Old Spice was available in the USA from 1938 and so almost certainly did not arrive in the UK till post WW2 (except in a USA servicemans  kit bag.)

All this talk of proper dress suggests another gambit. Approach a society stand with 'properly dressed occupant' (shirt, tie, jacket) and ask; "Why are you restricting the flow of blood to your brain?" Then wait patiently for a response, or not....

Cheers,

David

Jamie

It wasn't wholly popular though, when my sister brought a boyfriend home (late '50's - the date that is), my father exploded -"He's wearing bloody perfume!"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Old Spice reminded me of many years ago there was a fly spray (the name of which I forget) in a very similar red spray can. The inevitable happened when having showered but not having donned my glasses I picked up the fly spray instead of the Old Spice. Had the nicest smelling flies until I zapped them with my armpits.