The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Well, it certainly puzzled us all as we tried to find a logical reason for the jumble.  Once the reasoning is revealed, it becomes the nonsense that much "art" is nowadays.

Which is nothing like Alex TM's original posting suggested.

Saw the following yesterday.  Try and enlarge the image as far as you can, and you'll see what's been done.

So what was 'advertised' as 'You'll see what's been done', is merely that the country names have been jumbled up. Thanks for nothing Alex!

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I was trying to find a different video but this will do instead.

It makes you wonder that if America decided to invade North Korea, how many countries would be obliterated whilst they stumbled around trying to get there?

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It makes you wonder that if America decided to invade North Korea, how many countries would be obliterated whilst they stumbled around trying to get there?

Mike.

It would appear that the safest place in the world, would be - NORTH KOREA!

Too bad on the Canadians, Australians, anywhere within a huge circle based on India. How many US troops would accidentally end up lost in the Amazon jungle?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s all very well making fun of the Americans but a friend of mine teaches and she was talking about ocean pollution to 14yr olds.

One asked why don’t they just drain the ocean to clean it like they do in the canal?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Selected moments to demonstrate the "thesis".  I wonder how many interviewees pointed out North Korea straight away and were discarded?  Given a bit more time and access to a computer, I'd bet that NK would be promptly located. I suspect that's what the Military would do....

47 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s all very well making fun of the Americans but a friend of mine teaches and she was talking about ocean pollution to 14yr olds.

One asked why don’t they just drain the ocean to clean it like they do in the canal?

But at least there's a bit of logical thought and application of observational experience.  Perhaps the teacher might have explained why that would be impossible and then explored other options?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But at least there's a bit of logical thought and application of observational experience.  Perhaps the teacher might have explained why that would be impossible and then explored other options?

She did explain it but you’d think a 14yr old would think where do I drain the sea to? I’d not have chuckled at a 6yr old but 14? ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

You could also ask: "How many Americans know where America is?", you'll probably get a similar answer.:yes:

Reminds me of one similar video I saw on YouTube in which the participants were indeed asked, among other questions, where the USA was - and one of them thought for a moment, then said "well, I know it's big, so it must be this one" - pointing at Russia...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Marcus Rashford making his point with quiet strength and getting the right people onboard. It’s not slick and he admits he’s learning fast, just persistence and really understanding the core problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53979648

:) amongst all the rhetoric a great campaign that will address issues across the board. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

And how many people in the UK can tell the difference between England, the United Kingdom and the British Isles?

Jim

The Scots don't seem to have trouble pointing out where Scotland is!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

And how many people in the UK can tell the difference between England, the United Kingdom and the British Isles?

Jim

Knowing the administrative niceties and pointing to it on a map are completely different scenarios.;)

Even using the term "Americans" for citizens of the USA is incorrect, as all those inhabiting the two halves of the continent and it's islands are "American", in the same way we are all European.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I'm moving to the Borders, when there they talk about the Scots as if it's in a different part of the country.

And those in the Highlands consider Glasgow "foreign".:)

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Knowing the administrative niceties and pointing to it on a map are completely different scenarios.;)

Even using the term "Americans" for citizens of the USA is incorrect, as all those inhabiting the two halves of the continent and it's islands are "American", in the same way we are all European.

And "The Americas" is a term created by the European invaders. I doubt the original locals used that term.

steve

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

And those in the Highlands consider Glasgow "foreign".:)

To a genuine Highland Gael, the Glaswegian is a Sassenach, 

The border Reivers families spread both sides of the England / Scotland Border, and had little to do with either the English or Scottish Establishment, they are however mostly of Anglo Saxon / Norse and Flemish Decent....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Jim

One of my sister's friends accused me of talking b*ll*ocks when I said we live on an island. She's a 40 year old teacher....!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

One of my sister's friends accused me of talking b*ll*ocks when I said we live on an island. She's a 40 year old teacher....!

How can it be an island, if you can't stand on a central hill and see the sea all around you?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

I once had  to explain to my sons teacher that rubber was a natural product. I kid you not she laughed when I said it basically grows on / in trees.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

As a friend had to correct a Geography teacher in Scotland, who said Lincolnshire was flat, as in fenland flat.. The friends daughter had had her questions incorrectly marked for that.. .. They had moved to Scotland from Waddington, and to the west of Waddington is one very steep down hill..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

As a friend had to correct a Geography teacher in Scotland, who said Lincolnshire was flat, as in fenland flat.. The friends daughter had had her questions incorrectly marked for that.. .. They had moved to Scotland from Waddington, and to the west of Waddington is one very steep down hill..

From the Waddington near me, there's a steep uphill.

Waddington Fell Rd

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

An island is an island, no matter how big or small it is ;)

Yes, I know. I live in Australia, so I know something about big islands! Also how an island doesn't have to be divided up into different countries.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2