The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago I was standing at the junction of Castle Street and Princes Street in Edinburgh; I had my back to the gardens and the large lump of rock beyond them.  A couple of American tourists approached me and, while facing the aforementioned lump of rock asked, "excuse me sir, could you tell us where the castle is?"  I pointed back over my shoulder, and said, "what, that one"?

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

It’s along the same lines (ie as old as) as isn’t it amazing how they built the castle in Conwy with the train running through the walls 

Or a different version:

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

American tourists getting shown around Speke Hall in Liverpool. One of the few genuine Tudor homes still virtually unchanged from the period.

"Very nice, but why did they build it next to the airport?"

I don't know how true this is, but I've heard the story quite a few times.

Or in Edinburgh .... American tourist to her husband "honey, isn't it great that they built the castle so close to the railroad depot".

To be fair to Americans, most of the ones I meet are intelligent, educated, and thoughtful.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

True story.

Probably 10+ years ago we were on a cruise ship with some friends, we attended a quiz and while sitting waiting to start, a lone American lady wandered in hoping to join a team, so we invited to join us. She was very nice and chatty and helped with questions. One of the questions was 'Who was the 3rd wif of Henry the 8th' I jotted the answer down and we said nothing. 

When we got to the answers the quiz master asked if anyone knew and I replied "Jane Seymour" The lady looked at me and said "I never knew she married royalty......she's such a lovely actress"    It took a bit to get her to understand that 'Solitaire' from Live and Let Die hadn't married the King some 500 years earlier.

To be fair to Americans, there are probably an equal number of Brits who would have answered 'Barbara Windsor' 

• Like 4