Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Jon Cromptons are my favourite too!

gallery_6671_16_816.jpg

gallery_6671_16_7351.jpg

Photos taken on my new photo plank (a work in progress). Some minor photoshoppery - the edge of the board removed on the one of 33019 side on, and a light sky faded into the white at the top in each shot.

• Like 1

Guest jim s-w

With the availability of realistic photographic sky/scenic backscenes these days, I personally think even photoshopping a sky onto a picture is a bit of a copout (assuming you have a layout with a backscene of course).

Hi Dave

The converse view is its actually more difficult and shows more creativity to photoshop a background onto a picture than to stick a print to a bit of wood. Taken further are not all photographic backscenes a cop out compared to ones painted by hand that again show a high degree of ability and creativity?

I still dont know if I will end up with backscenes on the layout but if I do they will be hand painted for sure (Probably in photoshop though as that is where I used to do all of my illustration work)

Cheers

Jim

Hi Dave

The converse view is its actually more difficult and shows more creativity to photoshop a background onto a picture than to stick a print to a bit of wood. Taken further are not all photographic backscenes a cop out compared to ones painted by hand that again show a high degree of ability and creativity?

I still dont know if I will end up with backscenes on the layout but if I do they will be hand painted for sure (Probably in photoshop though as that is where I used to do all of my illustration work)

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

It may be more difficult to photoshop a background onto a picture than to stick a print to a bit of wood, but I wouldn't call it modelling, which is what RMWeb (and this thread, according to the OP) is all about, isn't it? When we stick a print to a piece of wood, we are improving the layout, i.e. modelling. I'm not sure about your point about photographic backscenes being a copout. They're part of the layout and they are not much different to, say, sticking a photocopied sign or poster onto the layout, or maybe even transfers onto a loco.

I take my hat off to people who have the ability to convincingly handpaint a backscene, but I don't see many around which are what I would call sufficiently convincing or subtle. I hope you do go for backscenes on your layout, even if they are just sky ones. I think they had so much depth to a layout when done well.

You obviously have a slightly different perspective on the issue from me, not surprisingly really given your job! I'm not suggesting Photoshopping should be banned on this or any other thread, just stating my preference and admiration for modellers who keep it to a minimum. RMWeb is, and hopefully always will be, a broad church.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

Hi Dave

I come at it from both sides. I used to be an illustrator but now I finish photos. As such I feel that a painted background would match my modelling style more than a photographic one and also it would be more fun to do!

Ultimately though a backscene should really go unnoticed. If it draws attention to itself its missed the point.

The reason why I am unsure about backscenes is that the buildings from a natural backscene.

DSCN0441.jpg

Plus I am thinking I might backlight the layout to give the shadowy look of the real location

Cheers

Jim

Sorry for the OT guys and gals

• Like 1

Hi Jim and folks,

Ultimately though a backscene should really go unnoticed. If it draws attention to itself its missed the point.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you there, Jim. Take this shot:

post-7247-127928633763_thumb.jpg

With the backscene, it is instantly recognisable to anyone who knows Waverley and its environs. Without it, it could be any large station in the UK. In other words, it needs to be noticed (and recognised) in order to do its job, i.e. set the context or scene. I didn't have space to model Princes St., the Scott Monument or the North Bridge (!), so I let the backscene do it for me. You maybe have more space than me and so may be able to include, say, the first line of buildings behind the station, which will do the job for you.

Sorry, guys and gals for continuing this discussion and wandering off thread! Backscenes are a fascinating aspect of layouts I think and a topic being touched on elsewhere in another similar thread.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

With the backscene, it is instantly recognisable to anyone who knows Waverley and its environs. Without it, it could be any large station in the UK. In other words, it needs to be noticed (and recognised) in order to do its job, i.e. set the context or scene. I didn't have space to model Princes St., the Scott Monument or the North Bridge (!), so I let the backscene do it for me. You maybe have more space than me and so may be able to include, say, the first line of buildings behind the station, which will do the job for you.

But it doesn't stand out and I think that's what Jim is getting at.

It is part of the overall scene yes, but it doesn't dominate it.

No, but it does have to be noticed.

I'm not sure...

I knew what the prototype was when I first saw the layout but if you showed me a picture of that building on the backscene I'd had no idea where it was from.

The backscene works as part a whole in this case which is exactly the result we want! It's a compliment!!!

Something from my own layout, which catches the sun quite nicely in the evenings through the loft windows.

post-101-127939508784_thumb.jpg

Not quite the same league as the stunning compositions in this thread, but not bad for a point and shoot digital camera.

Regards,

Dan

• Like 2