Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Guest jim s-w

It was suggested that this photo belongs here

I should say so! Very nice indeed.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

A couple from me - sorry but no trains!

dre%20erf%20fin2.jpg

ERF B series build from an old Doug Roseman Engineering kit.

jsw%20fleetline%20at%20hill%20street.jpg

Brummy fleetline converted from a Britbus Atlantean using my own etches.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

Can someone ban Dave "Waverley West" off this topic, damn proffesionals wink.gif

This truly is a great topic, if anybody feels a bit fed up with their own efforts, this topic in my opinion helps to get ones self impetus up and running again, sterling work from all who have posted on here.

That single car is amazing in every way Stu. I think Photoshopping shouldn't be allowed in this thread though. It's how realistic is your modelling; rubbish backscenes and the lot, but not how realistic is your image :P

• Like 2

I dunno, I don't think Photoshopping a sky in is really any different to taking pictures of models outside with natural backgrounds. And that's allowed, surely?

Plus it's a really evocative picture, the model is beautiful and the lighting is perfectly matched :)

Just my 2p,

Will

The very first post mentions 'The only computer wizardry allowed is to add steam\smoke or make your pics black and white or sepia to add to the realism', but I think that may have been relaxed a bit as the thread has gone on. Instead of a 'this is allowed and that isn't' sidetrack, I'm all for people to just carry on posting their efforts and we can make up our own minds when viewing as to how much they've 'enhanced' their modelling by adjusting the image - if you think it's been enhanced too much, simply move onto the next quality slice of modelling. It's been incredibly rich in variety of both modelling and photography, I'm all for letting it just continue growing organically and finding its own way to meander along.

• Like 5

Guest jim s-w

the whole point of a model is to try and convince the viewer that its not a foot long piece of plastic but a 100tons + of machinary.

Nothing wrong with photoshop IMHO but where I draw the line is correcting errors in the model. Use Photoshop to enhance but not to fix.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

the whole point of a model is to try and convince the viewer that its not a foot long piece of plastic but a 100tons + of machinary.

Nothing wrong with photoshop IMHO but where I draw the line is correcting errors in the model. Use Photoshop to enhance but not to fix.

Cheers

Jim

Couldn't agree more Jim, OK to enhance with a sky or smoke/steam, but not to change the appearance of the model.

With the availability of realistic photographic sky/scenic backscenes these days, I personally think even photoshopping a sky onto a picture is a bit of a copout (assuming you have a layout with a backscene of course).

Just a personal view of course, perhaps coloured by the fact that I'm not very good with Photoshop! I do sympathise with the aim behind the OP, after all we are RMWeb, not PhotoshopWeb. I certainly wouldn't want to see hard and fast rules on this thread as to what's allowed and what's not though.

Cheers,

Dave

Ach. Sorry Stu and folks. I didn't want what I said to come across as a wannabe mod thing but it sort of did didn't it?

The picture blew me away or I wouldn't have commented and I agree that this thread shouldn't have hardline rules as it's more fun based and a discussion about whether photoshopping is a good or bad thing in forums or mags should be somewhere else.

Cheers

Andy

Guest jim s-w

Just a personal view of course, perhaps coloured by the fact that I'm not very good with Photoshop! I do sympathise with the aim behind the OP, after all we are RMWeb, not PhotoshopWeb. I certainly wouldn't want to see hard and fast rules on this thread as to what's allowed and what's not though.

Hi Dave

the thing is, coming from someone who's day job is spent working in Photoshop, finishing photos, its a good job its not Photoshop web! I dont mean this to dampen anyones spirits but some of the photoshoppery in this thread is chronically awful!

All images HAVE to be finished. I work with professional photographers and we never use an image as it comes. There are some posts here that are superb models but have such a bad colour cast on them the end result looks horrible. A guide for the uninitiated is to pick something in the image you know to be neutral (thats grey) and make sure it is in the picture. A picture of a mk1 coach in br blue and beige is never going to look right is it?

But, and its a big but, anything that gets anyone thinking about the model as a whole and trying to keep a high standard throughout the finished image, however it is got there, has to be a good thing doesnt it? I think if this thread drives just one person to push themselves just a bit further then its worth doing.

Keep up the good work people!

Cheers

Jim

(No photoshoppery other than curves in my last picture posting)

• Like 1

Sorry Stu and folks. I didn't want what I said to come across as a wannabe mod thing but it sort of did didn't it?

Hi,

No offence taken. I'd actually forgotten about the bit about effects but my defence is that it is 20 odd pages ago.

The only reason I picked that background was the lighting seemed to match that of the model so I simply cut round the unit image and plonked it in the background. There's actually a 747 hidden behind it. I'm no great photographer but the one thing that to me seems to be important is getting the lighting looking natural.

Anyhow glad you liked it.

Cheers

Stu

Not wanting to start a fight but....... EE or Brush ??

Back in the late 80's EE got my vote everytime, but now.........maybe Duffs werent that bad after all !

post-6667-127906196065.jpg

......but saying that, I had a love affair with these aswell !!

post-6667-127906207338.jpg

• Like 8

Not wanting to start a fight but....... EE or Brush ??

Back in the late 80's EE got my vote everytime, but now.........maybe Duffs werent that bad after all !

post-6667-127906196065.jpg

......but saying that, I had a love affair with these aswell !!

post-6667-127906207338.jpg

HI

That slim jim is a real loco! ...... they way you have weathered it makes it look real, i take my hat off to you sir!.

Top bit of modeling you have done thier!

Darren01

Three photos from me of a layout I've been involved with - Damian's 'Diesels in the Duchy':

post-6675-127909290964_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127909289698_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127909288645_thumb.jpg

Hope you like them.

(PS all taken on a mobile phone camera with no post editing)

Great pics of what looks t be a crackin layout. More pics please, maybe in layout topics.biggrin.gif