Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Livery Photoshopping

maybe not as weird as may initially seem!

the D400s were touted as possible motive power for the edinburgh-glasgow push-pulls in the very early '70s, but the speeding up of WCML services meant they were needed to double-head the glasgow expresses north of crewe.

whilst based on the LMR, they did see plenty of action to perth/inverness, often on Motorails

It could have been a reality even more recently. Back in 1991 scotrail were having a lot of problems with the then new class 158s. They considered taking all of them out of service for modifications. This left the problem of what to replace them with the class 47/7s had already gone to network south east. Scotrail did consider the class 50's I know the withdrawn one's at Laira were looked at but they needed too much work done on them. I don't know if it went any further, but the plan was dropped. I doubt they would have been repainted into scotrail livery for the short time they would have been used. 

I don't know what type of coaches they planned to use the mk3s had already gone to intercity west coast. 

Pity it didn't happen

A few final versions:

Vossloh 4000 Grand Central Trains

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northernblue109/9611473184/

Vossloh G-2000 DB Schenker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northernblue109/9608239297/

Class 58 Freightliner

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northernblue109/9611473650/

Class 67 Stobart Rail

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northernblue109/9611473892/

Thanks for the interest

• Like 7

There actually nearly was the DBS G2000 version, Railion was DB's previous freight branding and they used some in Italy.

2407547505_a4b4078889.jpg

RAILION G 2000 29 SF by maurizio messa, on Flickr

They seem to gave gone off lease and passed to a different operator, at the moment they are debranded red and grey

7651609542_ce842a8bb0.jpg

Otto personaggi in cerca d'autore... by Marco Stellini, on Flickr

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's a challenge for the artists here.

What would the Big Four (GWR, LMS, LNER, SR) liveries look like now, if nationalisation hadn't happened?

steve

It would be interesting to see what colour/paint scheme the GWR would have painted their new fangled locos if they had been delivered before nationalisation.

We know what the LMS, LNER & SR did! (10000 & 6701 & CC1 etc)

Keith

Edited for accuracy

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Here's a challenge for the artists here.

What would the Big Four (GWR, LMS, LNER, SR) liveries look like now, if nationalisation hadn't happened?

steve

I bet they wouldn't be too far removed from some of the liveries we have now.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

It would be interesting to see what colour/paint scheme the GWR would have painted their new fangled locos if they had been delivered before nationalisation.

Keith

Edited for accuracy

I think the GW would have probably stuck with green for the locomotives in the short term, as they were pretty conservative in livery styles.

As things moved into the 50s and 60s I think we'd have seen development along the lines that the airlines used. Think of GW going the modern but restrained BOAC style and probably the Southern or LNER going 'cool Britannia' like BEA.

After that it's anyone's guess. Probably true to say that they'd be much like we have today. That's the influence of the design/marketing industry having carried out their consumer clinics etc.

Keith

Edited for accuracy

You have to think that the Westerns would have been unchanged with the design work that went into them and the livery trials etc. Not sure where you could fit a brass dome though.

As said above, modern liveries would be to a similar theme to todays as eveything is scripted by Marketing & Image Consultants. That said, would the big 4 have branched out into buses & road haulage or stayed in Railways to then be bought out by the big Bus companies? A different historical path could still have ended up with First Great Western anyway.

• RMweb Premium

would the big 4 have branched out into buses & road haulage or stayed in Railways to then be bought out by the big Bus companies?

I thought they were into buses and haulage!

Road haulage was nationalised into British Road Services as part of the Transport Act 1947. *

Much of the core business of the current bus/train companies were originally bus companies owned/started by the Big 4 railways.

Keith

Edit: don't forget they also ran ships and Aircraft as well as owning docks (The GWR had one in New York I do believe)

*BRS was mainly road transport companies but wasn't the railway heavy haulage hived off into it leaving just local deliveries?

Edited by melmerby

But in a way, haven't we sort of already had a glimpse of what the Great Western could have appeared like in the 20th century with the early Great Western Trains and Southern liveries designed by London design firm Roundel?

Brand identity and Livery Design - Great Western - Roundel

One of the first post-privatisation railway companies adopted the name and heritage of the west facing 'Merlin' symbol, developed from an element in the original company crest. Other heritage clues include the use of traditional cast plates on the driving cars and development of the original colour palette.  

Brand identity and Livery Design - Southern - Roundel

The new Southern brand is designed to reflect the quality and high service values of the original railway company but presented in a modern and contemporary way. The shape created by the symbol is reflected in the livery and provides the basis of a visual language to be used throughout the organisation.

Edited by surfsup

• 4 months later...

That turbo looks rather tidy Paul! WSMR seem to have a livery that transfers well to other stock

Here you go Jon, along with a couple of others I've done today

gallery_6899_468_97837.jpg

cheers

jo

colas have ordered some class 70s. They are numbered 70801 to 70810