RMWeb Members Day at Taunton, 2013- full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

Well if anybody is reading this at this late hour, which I doubt because I imagine the organisers are all in the pub, my car is loaded with photographic gear. I even folded down the rear seat and had to read the manual as I had forgotten how to do that.

We are talking some serious gear here. I intend to arrive at about 9am as there is not much point doing lighting checks until there are some things to check the lighting of.

Would those of a  nervous disposition note that if my professional flash head is used, it is on automatic so any other flash going off in the hall will make it go off. You have been warned!

• RMweb Gold

Well if anybody is reading this at this late hour, which I doubt because I imagine the organisers are all in the pub, my car is loaded with photographic gear. I even folded down the rear seat and had to read the manual as I had forgotten how to do that.

We are talking some serious gear here. I intend to arrive at about 9am as there is not much point doing lighting checks until there are some things to check the lighting of.

Would those of a  nervous disposition note that if my professional flash head is used, it is on automatic so any other flash going off in the hall will make it go off. You have been warned!

As a demonstrator, I would be very grateful if you could give some warning if you are going to fire off the flash. Many thanks,

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I can see your point of view regarding the flash but from the viewpoint of others a flash going off automatically could be problematic. Perhaps you could turn it away from the public when you are not actually using it.

Don

Obviously a professional flash head is unfamiliar. It is anything up to 10 feet up in the air and up to 30 feet away from the subject, is completely adjustable for intensity of the flash and is usually, in general lighting situations reflected off a white umbrella. I also have a variety of front mounted light focussing aids and even two acetate colour films.

An alternative since standing room for the tripod is limited and moving it around is a bit tricky, is a camera operated flash bouncing off a reflector mounted above the subject. There is no intention to use both.

Flash of this type used in this sort of area is vastly superior to tungsten or neon as there is considerably less colour cast and with care, light scatter can be kept to a minimum.

In modelling situations the use of controlled flash can create realistic shadows duplicating a sunny aspect. Indeed with use of the front mounted reflectors one can actually use the flash head as a spotlight.

There is no question of any of these flash guns being directed into anyone's eyes or even being at eye level and there is no question of multiple flashes at less than a few seconds frequency.

The warning was really to make sure that my equipment is safeguarded by prior knowledge. Frankly I am not yet sure that the pro flash head will be suitable for the environment but I will be bringing it.

I think the Stationmaster may be mugless (he forgot to remind me to remind him and so it didn't go on the list. Of course it is possible that he remembered by himself). Perhaps somebody would be kind enough to take a spare?

HI

Having been fighting this flue/virus for over a week now i was hoping to be with you all this weekend,But alas it has won and i will not be able to make it this year.

Hope you all have a great day.

All the best

Darren01

Can't bl**dy sleep ! Alarm set for 5am, woke at 2:45, still awake...

Same problem when I set the alarm.

Sitting here now thinking shall I drive ? 90 mile round trip, parking problems, cost of fuel. Or do I go by train? 30 mile round trip by car to Bristol, free parking at Temple Meads, free train travel, can have a pint at lunchtime, like minded guard on outward trip.

Train it is, after looking at weather forecast.

Now going out to shed for a ½ hour on Tolmouth.

Heartily concur, another excellent event, many thanks to Tim and Team for all their hard work.Tim-my remark about the parking was not,lord forbid , a criticism, but merely a celebration of how the day has grown in success and numbers since the early days!

very best wishes, Tim.

• RMweb Gold

Big thanks for the phots as a lot of us are overseas...

Kev.

(Where are the pasties?)

I agree, thanks for the photos. Almost like being there.

Here is a consolation pasty for all those of us who weren't there to get the real thing. Not exactly home-made though!

DSC_0112.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Andy

Thank you so so much for that photo.....not...any look of confusion/disgust/bewilderment on my face was not aimed at the superb Bridport but my own incompetence..

I should also say a big thanks to all involved in putting the day on

Chris

Archived