RMWeb Members Day at Taunton, 2013- full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

As has been mentioned before, thank you Andy for a flattering snap...not......!  :P

Thanks all for making it such a fun day. Spent more time nattering than working....and I ate too much on the Saturday....more resolve with the diet now needed...my quack would've been horrified!

The only downside as previously noted was the profoundly disturbing image on a certain promissory note :devil:

• RMweb Premium

Arrived home yesterday at 9pm, happy and quite knackered! This morning will see me unloading the car, I just couldn't face it last night.

What a great day - Well done CK and the rest of the organisers, I'm pretty sure that BD and I will come again next year (but no layout next time!)

That was the first time my layout has been out on show (and the first time some of the locos actually pulled a train), it was a very valuable "shakedown" before its first exhibition appearance at Watford in a couple of weeks. One or two small repairs will need doing but all in all it worked well enough. I hope the "convertible" concept turns out to be a success, the positive feedback yesterday was most encouraging.

Many thanks to all those who helped at various times with operating, setting up, taking down - much appreciated.

Oh, and the pasty was pretty tasty too!

• RMweb Gold

Very enjoyable day. Thanks to all who put in the work to make it happen.

Thanks also to David for letting me have a go with Bridport Town while he went for a cuppa then getting distracted so I got a longer one.

John

Looks to have been a great day,

and I am once again feeling sorry for myself - having been unable to get there this year :(

There are some cracking photos on the thread,

and I'm so glad many of you have taken the time & effort to post them here,

so a big thanks for that from me :)

I'm going to print some of those  bank of Swag notes,

so I can get two pasties next year, to make up for my withdrawal symptoms this year

....I'm already breaking into a sweat, thinking about it ;)

Cheers all

Marc

Looks to have been a great day,

and I am once again feeling sorry for myself - having been unable to get there this year :(

I'm really sorry you couldn't make it over Marc, mind you Al could have brought another couple of layouts in that van! ;) There was a small silver lining with you not being there and that's the fact we didn't have to move a piano from one end of the room to the other!

It was a great weekend with Tim arranging a most excellent day on Saturday; I'd almost forgotten just how pretty a line the WSR is and I've vowed to make time for another family trip this year as I spent too much time talking as usual.

As said on the day, thank you to to all who came, exhibited, manned the kitchen, lugged tables, chairs, boxes layouts etc etc - it's one of the most appealing dates in the calendar based on friendliness and enjoyment of the hobby. I've yet to get any decent images from the weekend sorted but I must compliment Stu on the organisation of the modular layouts and his achievements with BCBB - Artuhur's Staplegrove Works was superb!

I'll be back at some point to confirm once all communications are done but it looks like we raised a fraction short of £500 for The Railway Children too so a thank you to all who bid and even our MC Brinkly despite his dubious knowledge of anything RTR. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Looks excellent, thanks for all who have posted photos of the layouts and the more "scary" aspects of the meet.

And of course thanks to those who made it happen.

I wonder if I can persuade my boss we need a weekend away next year ...

• RMweb Premium

Cracking show Gromit!  

Had a wonderful day at Taunton.  My thanks and appreciation to the Good Captain and his team for their organisation, and to all those who helped with the layout; Graham Muz, Kempenfeld and Mudmagnet for help shifting, and to Craig-Son-of-Stubby and John-Dunsignalling for their operating stints.

Taunton Members Day is now established as a "Must" in my calendar, it was the first time I had taken a layout, and thankyou to everyone for their kind comments.  It was also the first time Bridport had been out since my DDD episode (Dissappointing Dalliance with Digital) and I'm pleased and relieved that the decision to stick with analogue control has been fully vindicated.

All the best, Dave.

Dave, dunno why,  but that is the first time I have even seen photos of Bridport.

I must try and time my UK visits around this get together in the future. OK that and the Mid-Essex Show........

Best, Pete.

- Artuhur's Staplegrove Works was superb!

Thanks Andy, pleased that you appreciated the module, I enjoyed making it. It was a great day out, thanks to Stu and the rest of the module team for a very warm welcome, it was real fun to be involved.

Super organisation by the good Captain and the ladies of the tea room. I stuck to the healthy option, I had a salad........with my pasty....and cheesecake......

Nice to meet and talk to lots of forum members and in particular to John about Netherhope Lane, I live nearby and know the location well.

A very friendly and relaxed atmosphere with some excellent modelling on display, I'd recommend to all members to try and get along to it.

• RMweb Gold

Sitting here eating one of the left over pasties for lunch has remonded me to express my thanks to the good captain and all whom made the whole weekend such a good experience as always. Roll on next year.

• RMweb Gold

I'm really sorry you couldn't make it over Marc, mind you Al could have brought another couple of layouts in that van! ;) There was a small silver lining with you not being there and that's the fact we didn't have to move a piano from one end of the room to the other!

Aye, but it was a hell of a job finding another piano player at short notice...

• RMweb Premium

Well it was a great day out again , nice to meet old friends and make new ones . My day was spent either playing trains

on the modules or chatting .  I did'nt get to spend as much time as I would have liked seeing the other layouts but from what

I did see we had another impressive selection . I did'nt even have time to take any photos either .

I have to thank the others of the module group , a nice selection again this year . Special thanks to Pete Bedding who

had constructed a nice module but was unable to finish it due to health problems , but donated it to the group anyway .

As Stubby has indicated elsewhere this was his last years as co-ordinator of modules , now Tigger ( another Mike )

will be in charge for next year , so there may be some changes in store .

I'm still trying to work out just how I managed to come home with a Hornby 42xx loco , apparantly putting your hand up

to ask a question is considered as ' making a bid ' if you are a Devon auctioneer .

And then he would'nt accept a credit card the swine . :no:

Lastly masive  thanks to the tireless efforts of CK with the organisation , even more thanks  to the catering team , even

if it took three attempts at the hatch before I was able to claim my pasty due to the rest of you in the main hall being closer ,

it was worth the wait though .

So now we have to wait another year , but all good things are worth waiting for so they say .

• RMweb Gold

A few snaps of the Saturday afternoon's fun on the WSR.

A turntable demo was very kindly arranged for us by the management, with the more youthful doing the pushing.

post-6728-0-89756500-1367241210_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-38693500-1367241258_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-38173000-1367241297_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-14428600-1367241358_thumb.jpg

A 'driver experience' goods.

post-6728-0-91811200-1367241446_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-22681300-1367241475_thumb.jpg

Speak of the Devil and he will appear!

post-6728-0-86694500-1367241521_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-90188000-1367241716_thumb.jpg

The lovely box on 'Tamerig'

post-6728-0-74287100-1367241763_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-37485400-1367241861_thumb.jpg

Earlier today, I thanked those who posted pics of this event,

However, now I wish to ask you to STOP posting pics...
... as it has made me realise what a brilliant day I missed! ;)
The WSR as well, Oh no - could my misery be any more complete?

Dear Captain K - next year has to be even better...
You keep setting the bar higher and higher!

• RMweb Gold

Dear Captain K - next year has to be even better...

You keep setting the bar higher and higher!

Hi Marc,

sorry you had to miss it, BUT rest assured the Captain has been told by those fortunate to attend the Saturday event that he has indeed to raise the bar for next year!!!!

Cheer

Simon

Ps I'm now properly home after a great weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Had a really enjoyable couple of days. Saturday was great fun getting to see behind the scenes on the WSR. The evening meal was excellent (as was the ale).

Sunday was the usual mix of superb layouts and it was good to catch up with everyone and make some new friends as well.

Special thanks to Colin for letting us play with his train set for most of the day. It has given me a real kick up the backside to make some progress with my own efforts.

Did anyone get a picture of Neil's shirt? I think I went temporarily blind when he first walked in with it :jester:

I didn't take many photos (too busy chatting and playing) but I'll leave you with a picture of the man of the weekend, enjoying himself on the WSR:

post-6916-0-66608400-1367251138_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Just a few of the pics I took hopefully showing the venue a bit too,

Dave Taylor and Bridport, I have to admit it's one of the reasons I dragged myself up after a nightshift and drove for an hour and a half :)

post-6968-0-21675000-1367251150.jpg

Mozzers Coombe Rock in the background along with Kernow and Titfield Thunderbolt

post-6968-0-17915100-1367251229.jpg

The modules, Stubby (well the top view), and Mozzer

post-6968-0-45575500-1367251277.jpg

The section of BCB and backscene, (The Benefactor assured me the tape isn't used on the full layout) ;)

post-6968-0-14764200-1367251307.jpg

CK conducts the sing a long, didn't anyone mention there's now an RMweb choir? Must be the influence of Barry Ten's Welsh Valleys ;)

post-6968-0-35767900-1367251383.jpg

Ready for the Big Bang at the finish?

post-6968-0-64020800-1367251468.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Had a really enjoyable couple of days. Saturday was great fun getting to see behind the scenes on the WSR. The evening meal was excellent (as was the ale).

Sunday was the usual mix of superb layouts and it was good to catch up with everyone and make some new friends as well.

Special thanks to Colin for letting us play with his train set for most of the day. It has given me a real kick up the backside to make some progress with my own efforts.

Did anyone get a picture of Neil's shirt? I think I went temporarily blind when he first walked in with it :jester:

I didn't take many photos (too busy chatting and playing) but I'll leave you with a picture of the man of the weekend, enjoying himself on the WSR:

attachicon.gifTim_Window.jpg

:O

He definatly looks better on the pasty token .    :sungum:

Ready for the Big Bang at the finish?

attachicon.gifRMweb memebers day 2013 (6).JPG

Ah yes, Dr Sheldon Maddocks of the University of Kernow gives another of his fine lectures on the physics of Pasties!

Just like to say that dad and I had a fantastic time on Saturday and Sunday and would like to thank Tim and Andy as well as the rest of the team and all the members for making it such a great time! I'll be adding my own photos from Saturday later, got some schoolwork to do!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I'd just like to say a big thank you to Tim for organising the day. I know how much preparation must go into organising such an event. 

As Blackrat said it is more like a family reunion  such a lovely relaxed atmosphere, meeting new and old friends. Big thank you to Colin and Baby Deltic for allowing me to play with their layout for most of the day, it really was excellent fun. 

From toting up in my head I think the money raised from the auctioneering of various items, came to £170 odd which doesn't include some of the bids received online. Many thanks to everyone who donated items. It is always a pleasure to stand there and make a fool of one's self!  :drink_mini: (No silly comments anyone!) 

Many thanks to Andy and our friends from BRM for allowing us pirates from the South to host such an events. 

My one complaint is that the time just goes too quick. 

I hope everyone who traveled to the event made it home safely. See you all again next year. 

Kind regards,

Nick. 

• RMweb Premium

It is always a pleasure to stand there and make a fool of one's self!  :drink_mini: (No silly comments anyone!) 

Damn and blast it , I had several good ones lined up , like you dont have to stand up to do that .    :jester:

Archived