RMWeb Members Day at Taunton, 2013- full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Taunton, we have a problem.

I have offered to build corner module(s). Not only am I behind with this due to other work pressures, but I can't do the 28th due to a family commitment. I thought we were going to be on the 21st!

Oh dear, that's a shame you can't make it. FWIW the date has always been the 28th April - we always go wherever possible for the last Sunday in April, only departed from this 2 years ago when it clashed with Easter itself...

And at this point I conveniently hand over to Herr Stubmeister to sort it all out.... :O  ;)

(Stu really is in complete charge of the modular set-up, I merely allocate the space and he and the rest of the gang get on with it!! :D )

• RMweb Gold

I have searched RMWeb in vain, followed CK's link in the OP and am still not much wiser as to what the SWAG project is.  All I know is:

• It is modular 
  • Modules come from all over the SW (?)
  • that my 32mm gauge finescale stock would probably not run on it..... :jester:

Please enlighten "Baffled of Barnstaple"!

Hi Paul, if you have a look on here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55739-taunton-members-day-29-4-12-a-photographic-record/ - there are photos of the 2012 modular set up, in the same small hall at Staplegrove that we are using again for this part of the event this year.

Essentially it's 4mm scale, OO gauge, and each participant constructs and brings their module or modules, with Stu Hilton (Stubby) coordinating it all. There is a base template that Stu developed, so that all modules can mate up with each other OK.

It was a lot of fun last year!

• RMweb Gold

Taunton, we have a problem.

I have offered to build corner module(s). Not only am I behind with this due to other work pressures, but I can't do the 28th due to a family commitment. I thought we were going to be on the 21st!

Ah........

I have searched RMWeb in vain, followed CK's link in the OP and am still not much wiser as to what the SWAG project is.  All I know is:

• It is modular 
  • Modules come from all over the SW (?)
  • that my 32mm gauge finescale stock would probably not run on it..... :jester:

Please enlighten "Baffled of Barnstaple"!

Oooo.....

And at this point I conveniently hand over to Herr Stubmeister to sort it all out.... :O  ;)

Ahem....

Right.

Joseph - really sorry you can't make it, thanks again for the offer of the corner module - we'll sort something out (where's that cardboard....?)

Paul - as CK says, it's all 00, so you're probably correct in that your 32mm stock won't run - but if you want to participate, please let me know !! (I have a need for a corner unit....)

Apologies to all for my quietness over this project, due to my being caught up in the BCB shenanigans, once next weekend is over it will be full throttle !!

Stu

• RMweb Gold

(Stu really is in complete charge of the modular set-up :D )

Ha!  I think 'complete charge' is vastly overstating my role - more like hindering the excellent progress made by others, due to non-standard height modules, un-tested track causing derailments, tunnels with entrances too low and bringing locos with insufficient clearance... - I'm surprised I've been asked back at all !!

• RMweb Gold

Ha!  I think 'complete charge' is vastly overstating my role - more like hindering the excellent progress made by others, due to non-standard height modules, un-tested track causing derailments, tunnels with entrances too low and bringing locos with insufficient clearance... - I'm surprised I've been asked back at all !!

Someone has to take 'responsibility' Stu - it's a modern management technique (to shove it onto someone else that is)

• RMweb Gold

I'm really hacked off that I can't make Taunton this year because of work and domestic commitments. I had a fantastic time last April and would recommend it to any RMweb member. If you enjoy trains (real and model), good company and lots of good-natured banter, it's for you. If my relocation plans come about, I should be in a better position to attend in 2014 with a module (or even two... :) ).

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to it Captain, I'd better start getting Bridport up to scratch.

Cheers, Dave.

Look forward to seeing both yourself and Bridport at Taunton. Should be much more amenable to having a natter than our last meeting at Warley!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Not missed one of these meets yet and very much looking forward to this years events both Saturday and Sunday.

if you see me serving in the Kitchen you will buy some cake you know it make sense...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just realised that this isn't infact the SWAG event, but the full RMweb members day.........the event that has generally been held in Stafford over the years.?

Thats a pity, but I understand the need to perhaps move the members day around the country to suit other members..........is this the reason.??  Or have the Captain and SWAG hijacked the event.??

The RMweb members day is a fantastic event, and I do envy you all in the South West for capturing the event.........however, I do think that it is a bit TOO South West for a full on Members Day, but thats me being jealous.!!!!!

Bob.

Back up in North next year I hope.

I've just realised that this isn't infact the SWAG event, but the full RMweb members day.........the event that has generally been held in Stafford over the years.?

Thats a pity, but I understand the need to perhaps move the members day around the country to suit other members..........is this the reason.??  Or have the Captain and SWAG hijacked the event.??

The RMweb members day is a fantastic event, and I do envy you all in the South West for capturing the event.........however, I do think that it is a bit TOO South West for a full on Members Day, but thats me being jealous.!!!!!

Bob.

Back up in North next year I hope.

I do not see it as the full RMweb members day this year will be the 3rd i have been to Taunton, Members Day & there have always been members from all over the uk & the world

Year on year Tim has made the show larger

Hi Bob,

Taunton's always been an event in its own right. We'll be doing something different from the Stafford event later in the year (two reasons - organisational time and there are question marks over the venue's continued availability)

Hi Mozzer,

If you look at the thread title..........it says RMweb members day at Taunton 2013......and last year the title was Members Day Stafford 2012.

The thread is also under RMweb events section, and not under the area groups section.......???????

Bob

Hi Bob,

Taunton's always been an event in its own right. We'll be doing something different from the Stafford event later in the year (two reasons - organisational time and there are question marks over the venue's continued availability)

Thanks Andy........I completely understand that the Captain does a great job in the South West....and that he organises a brilliant SWAG event every year. 

But the placement of the thread does lead me to believe that it is the FULL RMweb event........simply because as I said to Mozzer....its in the RMweb events section, directly below last years thread, whereas if it is a SWAG event....should it not be in the Area Groups section as it always has been.

Bob.

Thanks Andy........I completely understand that the Captain does a great job in the South West....and that he organises a brilliant SWAG event every year. 

But the placement of the thread does lead me to believe that it is the FULL RMweb event........simply because as I said to Mozzer....its in the RMweb events section, directly below last years thread, whereas if it is a SWAG event....should it not be in the Area Groups section as it always has been.

Bob.

It is a SWAG event but members from anywere can come so its a Rmweb event run by SWAG & not just for SWAG members

Hi CK! Looking forward to it. Where's everyone staying on the Saturday night?

A couple of years ago you blagged us into the signal box at Bishops's L which was fascinating. Any chance that this year you could exert even more of your influence and power and get me a footplate ride to Minehead??? I am prepared to shovel coal.

Yours hopefully (and if necessary admiringly)

John A

• RMweb Gold

I do not see it as the full RMweb members day this year will be the 3rd i have been to Taunton, Members Day & there have always been members from all over the uk & the world

Year on year Tim has made the show larger

The only way it can get any bigger now Brian is if the Cap'n hires a marquee (I'm not sure where he would put it mind you as space outside is a bit tight).

Archived