RMWeb Members Day at Taunton, 2013- full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get along this year. It is a bit beyond the distance I'd usually travel to an event, but I don't have anything else on that weekend so I'm thinking of making a whole weekend of it and coming along to the Saturday event as well.

I'm pleased to announce that Marc Smith will be bringing his new EM gauge layout 'Cashmores', set in a certain South Wales scrap yard - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58024-cashmores-the-next-layout/

Sounds good CK,  but what about my request a few posts back about a footlate pass to Minehead?? I'm desperate.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, I understand that Mr York will probably be stealing one of the Black Country Blues (BCB) boards to bring down to Taunton in his Postman Pat van. Not sure which one yet but there's 5 to choose from. Running from front left to right we have:

1. The Tunnel Board - features the mainline tunnel, Sandside's cartshed and a skew bridge over the mainline for the industrial line.

2. The Viaduct Board - features the old GJR 5-arch viaduct on the mainline and the three-span steel industrial bridge, plus a road and a stream

3. The Junction Board - features the junction between the industrial and mainlines, the canal junction, Old Gringo's canal bridge and Andy Y's canal cottages

4. The Sidings Board - features the industrial sidings running behind the mainline, a canal lock, Stu's Milwards buidling, Flavio's Oldbury Road building and Mark's signal box

5. The Pub Board - features another 1 1/2 locks, Flavio's Tennants building, Andy B's pub, Eric's Linesman's Cabin and a load of unfinished walls and bridges over the railway / canal. 

A few photos here, any preferences SWAG folk?

Not sure I've seen any voting on this, but the viaduct board is quite impressive (not that any of them aren't !!).

Fair warning, Mrs P.D.& S.W.J.R. has said she wants to come for part of the Sunday as:

1. She likes model railways
  2. Has worked on Kelly Bray
  3. Has exclusive knowledge of the combination code on my wallet.... :girldevil:

Better steal her purse then ;)

• RMweb Gold

Great idea, the badges that is !  

Fair warning, Mrs P.D.& S.W.J.R. has said she wants to come for part of the Sunday as:

1. She likes model railways
  2. Has worked on Kelly Bray
  3. Has exclusive knowledge of the combination code on my wallet.... :girldevil:

Just be thankful your wallet needs a combination code - mine doesn't, 'cos it's never got anything in...

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, interesting development on the pasty front today - tried the local village supplier again, and asked for another of his steak pasties. When I got it home, it was a whopper, decent pastry and stuffed full of steak! (and side-crimped, Mr Coplestone!).... food for thought...!  ;)

(I did tell you all that this market research was going to be extremely arduous...)

• RMweb Gold

Pasty specification (from someone was has lived nearly 5 decades in Devon or Cornwall)  

3oz Steak beef (at least), minimal fat, no sinew.  No mince or rendered meat; this is a capital offence. (Neigh my Liege, thou shalt not includeth  meat of the horse) - fair comment - this one passes, then!

Finely diced or sliced potato - OK

Finely diced or sliced swede - OK (I think...)

Finely diced onion (OK)

(Carrot or other vegetables are again a capital offence.) - were not present today!

Lightly seasoned, especially with the pepper.  (This indicates a butcher/baker with something to hide) - today's pasty passes this as well

Shortcrust pastry, golden brown, not burnt or under cooked - this one was golden brown, flakey pastry, just how the Captain likes it!  :D  

Crimped on the top (for Cornish   :sungum: ) - oooh no! Side crimped, on the orders of Mr Coplestone!   ;)

Flakey pastry ist verboten, again punishable by death.  Harsh but fair - you'll have to get past Mr Coplestone to get to me, then!!   :lol:

Failure to meet this requirements specification will result in a visitation of 10,000 Cornish men singing 'Trelawney'!!!  - well, as long as we know in advance, so as to get 10,000 side-crimped, flakey pastry pasties ready for them after their long march... :P

• RMweb Gold

As I'm an expert in Cornish delights I can concur with the above but would need to taste a sample first for it to meet with my approval.The size doesn't matter but extra large is preferred. ;)

• RMweb Gold

As I'm an expert in Cornish delights I can concur with the above but would need to taste a sample first for it to meet with my approval.The size doesn't matter but extra large is preferred. ;)

Robin,

You may need to taste several, in order to form a balanced, objective view point. Would you like me to order in, say, half a dozen for you, for this vital research?

• RMweb Gold

Can I say the nicest Cornish pasty I've tasted was bought from a bakery in Dartmouth. :O Don't tell Stubby47 I said that. ;) Another reason now to come to the show.

Archived