RMWeb Members Day at Taunton, 2013- full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

When I lived in Cornwall I carried out extensive testing and in the end settled on Berrymans of Redruth - along with their Saffron cake. There was a little bakery in Portreath that was an honourable runner up!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

When I lived in Cornwall I carried out extensive testing and in the end settled on Berrymans of Redruth - along with their Saffron cake. There was a little bakery in Portreath that was an honourable runner up!

Jerry

Somebody mentioned saffron cake - now there's a good hint for the catering dept ;)

• RMweb Gold

Can we put in our order for Saffron Cake now please??  Proper Job!  Which reminds me, that's a cracking pint!!!  :declare:

See what I can do my handsome!

I still get the occasional Berryman's when my kids visit their grandad who still lives at Mount Ambrose just outside Redruth. All Berrymans did was Pasties, bread, Saffron cake and Heavy cake (similar to Lardy). They would do vegetarian pasties but you had to order them the day before - so they could leave the meat out!

Jerry

Shortcrust pastry, golden brown, not burnt or under cooked.  Crimped on the top (for Cornish   :sungum: )

No, noooooo... tiz SYDE CRIMPED I tell eeeye, now thaaa's a praapur joaab! Ooour Capt'n got that bit ryte, fur sure   :yes:

T'other essential "specification" - az yoo up-cuntry folks wud zay - tiz that them indreeedients must be cook'd fram raw in thay pastry jacket, otherwise tiz not a praapur pasty, mark my words yoo wayward Debbun un Zomaarzet folks!!   :derisive:

• RMweb Premium

A pasty is side-crimped.  End of story.  How was a miner supposed to hold a top-crimp and not lose the contents while below grass?  The side-crimp is the handle by which the pasty is grasped (backalong with somewhat dirty hands while down the mines) and is traditionally cast aside as an offering to the spriggans or knockers - mine spirits who need to be well fed in order to lead miners to good ground.

The best pasty?  Always a matter for argument among the Cornish.  I've had Berryman's and I've had Portreath.  I've had St. Agnes and many other "good" names as well.  All perfectly acceptable.  But Philps of Hayle do the very best and ideally bought from the bakery in Foundry Square rather than down the road at the East Quay shop.  They also have small shops in Praze-an-Beeble and Marazion.

The Captain's source in South Brent last year provided admirable pasties from East-the-Tamar.

If top-crimped pasties are to be eaten then 20,000 Cornish Bold shall know the reason why. ;)

• RMweb Gold

CK is requested to produce a SWAG Kernow pasty van for the modular layout, with pasty image on the side, as per the Palethorps sausage vans.  

I do believe that one of the Modular Men did one last year?....

Why yes, y'ere 'tis!...

post-57-0-81181100-1362300830.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Cornish pastys are crimped on the side - never on top. Top crimping is for Devon pastys or other imposters otherwise simply refered to as a pasty. The traditional D shape and side crimping are included in the PGI status that was awarded to Cornish Pastys last year.

See   http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/what-is-a-genuine-cornish-pasty/

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

The Captain's source in South Brent last year provided admirable pasties from East-the-Tamar.

Now's there an even more reason to come down to Taunton but obviously there were not bought at the station shop. :no2:

• RMweb Gold

The important things are the contents and the taste.

Spot on - and I'm with you on the pastry, no flaky for me, although the PGI status does not stipulate pastry other than it being robust enough for the pasty to retain its shape.

Jerry

ps. I love this hobby - this is rivet counting for savoury pastry snacks - just brilliant!!

• RMweb Gold

Aside from all this seemingly serious and possibly even important discussion of pasties, has anyone decided to join in with the module project ?

If you want, you can include a pasty bakery, pasty factory, pasty mine or pasty food fight if you want, just build a frickin' module !

Aside from all this seemingly serious and possibly even important discussion of pasties, has anyone decided to join in with the module project ?

If you want, you can include a pasty bakery, pasty factory, pasty mine or pasty food fight if you want, just build a frickin' module !

When you are 4,000 miles away from the nearest Cornish Pasty whichever way they are crimped, one appearing on my mixing desk would be welcomed.........

Has it really been a year since I produced that Soundtrack for you, Stu?

Best, Pete.

I could do, but the rails would be 32mm apart  :jester:

Paul, here's a solution to your 'dilemma'... You could run a rail down the middle (-ish) and call it double double-oh. Ahhhh, but then that'd be middle-crimped track which the Cornish Pasty Police (not to mention the knockers)  :rtfm: would consider a travesty of finescale pasty model making. He he... knock knock!   :sarcastichand:

Cornish pastys are crimped on the side - never on top. Top crimping is for Devon pastys or other imposters otherwise simply refered to as a pasty. The traditional D shape and side crimping are included in the PGI status that was awarded to Cornish Pastys last year.

Jerry

Right on, Jerry! Here's further hard background data for the dedicated finescale pasty modeller... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12550221

Pete,

Yes, it is near enough 12 months since you were kind enough to send me the sound track; PM me your address and I will get a pasty out to you !

Stu

I'm not sure that is possible, Stu. I believe that the US Customs would confiscate it...........much as I would love one!

Best, Pete.

This side crimping stuff is probably because Launceston is almost in Devon!  They be corrupted!  :jester:

Yeah yeah yeah...   :tomato: On the contrary Sir, as the one-time county town, Launceston is as Cornish as anywhere else on the Duchy!

As you may already be aware, along with Devon and parts of Somerset and Dorset, we were all once part of the ancient Celtic kingdom of Dumnonia (also known as 'West Wales' to the Sawsnek) http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/maps/images/ebk_625.jpg Hence 'The Great West Country Pasty Diaspora' we are still debating...  :mail:   

Jerry

But that's the E U certified version of the Oggy, not the generic ones UKIP would recognise!

Having worked in the great Callington pseudo pasty factory (as an agency worker I add) I can assure you that they make both types of crimp depending on customer specification, together with some variants which do not have any crimp whatsoever.

Wally

• RMweb Gold

Having worked in the great Callington pseudo pasty factory (as an agency worker I add)

Wally

Thats not Ginsters by any chance is it ? ;)

Archived