RMWeb Members Day at Taunton, 2013- full line-up announced

Captain Kernow

It is a SWAG event but members from anywere can come so its a Rmweb event run by SWAG & not just for SWAG members

Nonsense......so are you saying I cant go to a normal SWAG event unless I'm a SWAG member or maybe live in the SWAG area.?.?

However......I still think its an attempted undercover hijacking of the RMweb day.

If its a SWAG event as you say.......then why has the Captain recently moved this topic from AREA GROUPS section where it has always been, to RMweb events..??  Very suspicious.!!!!

Nevertheless....I do wish this years S.W.A.G event in Taunton, every success.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, I understand that Mr York will probably be stealing one of the Black Country Blues (BCB) boards to bring down to Taunton in his Postman Pat van. Not sure which one yet but there's 5 to choose from. Running from front left to right we have:

1. The Tunnel Board - features the mainline tunnel, Sandside's cartshed and a skew bridge over the mainline for the industrial line.

2. The Viaduct Board - features the old GJR 5-arch viaduct on the mainline and the three-span steel industrial bridge, plus a road and a stream

3. The Junction Board - features the junction between the industrial and mainlines, the canal junction, Old Gringo's canal bridge and Andy Y's canal cottages

4. The Sidings Board - features the industrial sidings running behind the mainline, a canal lock, Stu's Milwards buidling, Flavio's Oldbury Road building and Mark's signal box

5. The Pub Board - features another 1 1/2 locks, Flavio's Tennants building, Andy B's pub, Eric's Linesman's Cabin and a load of unfinished walls and bridges over the railway / canal. 

A few photos here, any preferences SWAG folk?

Nonsense......so are you saying I cant go to a normal SWAG event unless I'm a SWAG member or maybe live in the SWAG area.?.?

However......I still think its an attempted undercover hijacking of the RMweb day.

If its a SWAG event as you say.......then why has the Captain recently moved this topic from AREA GROUPS section where it has always been, to RMweb events..??  Very suspicious.!!!!

Nevertheless....I do wish this years S.W.A.G event in Taunton, every success.

Bob, there's nothing suspicious about it all. Taunton has always existed in its own right even when there hasn't been a Member's day in the Midlands. It is an RMweb event (hence it can go in that area of the site) and not just limited to SWAG folk. RMweb members far and wide have been to Taunton and even exhibited (I think Simon's been the furthest (from Darlington)). 

There's no hijacking of any sort and it's silly that I have to come and counter some unfounded supposition which detracts from the topic about the event.

Bob, there's nothing suspicious about it all. Taunton has always existed in its own right even when there hasn't been a Member's day in the Midlands. It is an RMweb event (hence it can go in that area of the site) and not just limited to SWAG folk. RMweb members far and wide have been to Taunton and even exhibited (I think Simon's been the furthest (from Darlington)). 

There's no hijacking of any sort and it's silly that I have to come and counter some unfounded supposition which detracts from the topic about the event.

Ahhh.....sorry Andy........ I understand now.  It is a full RMweb Members day to be held in Taunton as per the title..........and not a limited SWAG event   No more suspicion, not hijacked at all.

Apologies for being a bit naughty.........hope its a fantastic successful event.

The only way it can get any bigger now Brian is if the Cap'n hires a marquee (I'm not sure where he would put it mind you as space outside is a bit tight).

No, no!  Please no. This is the best Model Railway event in my calendar. Friends amongst friends. Bigger isn't always better.

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

I believe the second corner is sorted, just awaiting full confirmation from their local rep.

What's needed is a central, straight, (3ft long, 2 simple tracks, sceniced in what ever way you like) module to fit between the two corners.

And as for this being the best event on the calendar -it is.

Anyway, never mind all this inconsequential chatter about corner boards and whether it's an open event or not... all that REALLY matters is the quality of the pasties ordered!! I think the Good Capt'n should reassure all us fractious folk about the comfort food that will be available on the day. Your loyal crew awaits your pronouncements, Sir!  :nyam:  

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, never mind all this inconsequential chatter about corner boards and whether it's an open event or not... all that REALLY matters is the quality of the pasties ordered!! I think the Good Capt'n should reassure all us fractious folk about the comfort food that will be available on the day. Your loyal crew awaits your pronouncements, Sir!  :nyam:  

The good Capt'n normally goes for Devon pasties. Not bad seeing they come from east of the Tamar :-)

Jerry

The good Capt'n normally goes for Devon pasties. Not bad seeing they come from east of the Tamar :-)

Jerry

Hmmm... "not bad" is about as far as I dare loyally go on the subject of Debbun Paaasties, if you can call 'em thaaat. Top crimped nonesense - paaaah!!  :ireful:  Now you all know where REAL pasties come from... http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Contestants+Take+Part+World+Cornish+Pasty+a5svzyhXCIrl.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Well, after relatively little activity on this thread for a few weeks, I've been busy over the weekend with a day with Re6/6 and 10800 yesterday discussing The Viaduct, (including the posing of both probable and improbable items of rolling stock on it), and today Martin (Pugsley) and Michelle have been down here with us, amongst other things discussing this very event next June, so I am slightly taken aback both by the amount of posts and also the apparent belief that I am clever enough to subvert the course of RMWeb Members Day planning...!

From my perspective, the event has been posted in the main RMWeb Events section of the forum for a couple of years now, I think, certainly since this incarnation of the forum. The reasons for this are as Andy and others have stated, it's a general RMWeb event, open to all members of RMWeb and their guests, which just happens to be held in the SWAG area and, of course, organised by us.

It doesn't get advertised in the SWAG part of the forum, precisely because I'm not sure that everyone visits there (although I've had some surprises!), so in order to get the biggest possible attendance, and following on from that, the biggest possible catering profit and thus donation to charity **, it needs to go where the majority of people will be able to see it.

** To explain - the main up-front costs of the event (hall hire & insurance) were always met by Andy Y, up to and including the 2011 event. Any profits made by the catering and donations was then channeled back to Andy for general 'RMWeb funds'. Since Warners have acquired the forum in 2012, the main up-front costs are still met by Warners, but are essentially then 'written off' (for want of a better expression). Any profits from the catering and donations are now channeled towards a worthy charity, last year and this year it is The Railway Children (and no particular reason why it shouldn't continue to be so).

The event is now as big as it can be in the current venue, and there are no plans to change the venue either, which we all feel works very well and provides a wonderful atmosphere to the day. The 2013 event will the the sixth Members Day held in Taunton, in case anyone is keeping count.

I will be posting more information on the activities expected on the Saturday prior to the Members Day, which will involve travel on the WSR, followed up by a visit to the 4mm version of Bath Green Park and an evening in the pub, but I'm currently awaiting more information on one aspect of that, so more anon.

Now, a word about the pasties. Last year, we tried a new source, namely a local deli in our village in South Brent, where the enthusiastic owner and his wife were only to happy to supply us with a bulk order of their excellent pasties.

Going back there a couple of months ago, I find that the place has changed hands, and the new owners sell a slightly different design of pasty. I took the opportunity to road test some of these in January, together with Andy Y, Re6/6 and 10800, when Andy came down for a photography session for BRM. The steak pasties were trialled, and whilst they feature a shortcrust type pastry, they were side-crimped (as opposed to top-crimped - so sleep easy tonight, Phil C!), they were decently large and very tasty. We all agreed that these were indeed an option for the Members Day. They are made elsewhere in the locality, however, and only cooked in our local deli.

However, the other day I chanced upon another possible supplier, in another farm shop, where they are actually made on the premises. The pasties that I saw were smaller, and top-crimped only  :O  :O  :O  (look away now, Phil Coplestone!), and the lady baker wasn't on hand, but I'm assured that if I return when she's there, she'll be only too happy to discuss a pasty to our own specifications. Clearly, these will have to be subject to rigourous design and development, probably testing several prototypes. I care so much for your communal, general welfare, though, that this is not a task that I feel I should delegate to anyone else, so I'll just have to keep ploughing through the various versions until I find a pasty that you will all be happy with...

• RMweb Gold

Well Bob, we might get Andi Dell to check your papers when you approach the Swagonia border up in Gloucestershire  ;) , but provided he lets you through, you're welcome to anything advertised in the SWAG section of the forum.

However, by their very nature, such as our occasional curry evenings in Buckfastleigh, such events tend to appeal only to those who live relatively locally, hence the fact that they are more appropriately advertised in the SWAG section, as this is where I might reasonably expect someone living close to the curry house to look.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, I understand that Mr York will probably be stealing one of the Black Country Blues (BCB) boards to bring down to Taunton in his Postman Pat van. Not sure which one yet but there's 5 to choose from. Running from front left to right we have:

1. The Tunnel Board - features the mainline tunnel, Sandside's cartshed and a skew bridge over the mainline for the industrial line.

2. The Viaduct Board - features the old GJR 5-arch viaduct on the mainline and the three-span steel industrial bridge, plus a road and a stream

3. The Junction Board - features the junction between the industrial and mainlines, the canal junction, Old Gringo's canal bridge and Andy Y's canal cottages

4. The Sidings Board - features the industrial sidings running behind the mainline, a canal lock, Stu's Milwards buidling, Flavio's Oldbury Road building and Mark's signal box

5. The Pub Board - features another 1 1/2 locks, Flavio's Tennants building, Andy B's pub, Eric's Linesman's Cabin and a load of unfinished walls and bridges over the railway / canal. 

A few photos here, any preferences SWAG folk?

Happy to leave it to the BCB groups sound judgement if necessary, Chris, but perhaps you could PM me with the board sizes, but personally (if you absolutely force a choice out of me!  ;) ) I'd go for a board with several structures/buildings on it. Boards 4 or 5 sound interesting, although I also like the viaducts....

• RMweb Gold

However, the other day I chanced upon another possible supplier, in another farm shop, where they are actually made on the premises. The pasties that I saw were smaller, and top-crimped only  :O  :O  :O  (look away now, Phil Coplestone!), and the lady baker wasn't on hand, but I'm assured that if I return when she's there, she'll be only too happy to discuss a pasty to our own specifications. Clearly, these will have to be subject to rigourous design and development, probably testing several prototypes.

Design clever?

Coat on, leaving now.

Now, a word about the pasties. Last year, we tried a new source, namely a local deli in our village in South Brent, where the enthusiastic owner and his wife were only to happy to supply us with a bulk order of their excellent pasties.

Going back there a couple of months ago, I find that the place has changed hands, and the new owners sell a slightly different design of pasty. I took the opportunity to road test some of these in January, together with Andy Y, Re6/6 and 10800, when Andy came down for a photography session for BRM. The steak pasties were trialled, and whilst they feature a shortcrust type pastry, they were side-crimped (as opposed to top-crimped - so sleep easy tonight, Phil C!), they were decently large and very tasty. We all agreed that these were indeed an option for the Members Day. They are made elsewhere in the locality, however, and only cooked in our local deli.

However, the other day I chanced upon another possible supplier, in another farm shop, where they are actually made on the premises. The pasties that I saw were smaller, and top-crimped only  :O  :O  :O  (look away now, Phil Coplestone!), and the lady baker wasn't on hand, but I'm assured that if I return when she's there, she'll be only too happy to discuss a pasty to our own specifications. Clearly, these will have to be subject to rigourous design and development, probably testing several prototypes. I care so much for your communal, general welfare, though, that this is not a task that I feel I should delegate to anyone else, so I'll just have to keep ploughing through the various versions until I find a pasty that you will all be happy with...

Maybe DapolDave could throw in some free time on their CAD software and laser scanning equipment for RMWebbers to agree on the most complete / authentic pasty ever.

However, the other day I chanced upon another possible supplier, in another farm shop, where they are actually made on the premises. The pasties that I saw were smaller, and top-crimped only  :O  :O  :O  (look away now, Phil Copleston!), and the lady baker wasn't on hand, but I'm assured that if I return when she's there, she'll be only too happy to discuss a pasty to our own specifications. Clearly, these will have to be subject to rigourous design and development, probably testing several prototypes. I care so much for your communal, general welfare, though, that this is not a task that I feel I should delegate to anyone else, so I'll just have to keep ploughing through the various versions until I find a pasty that you will all be happy with...

Ha-haaaarrrr - pasties ahoy! Aye, whether it be top-crimped paaaasties or no, you're an 'onourable and selfless leader, Capt'n. Making sure our meeting will be perfect in every way... 

I admire your diligence Tim but I do have to ask; has anyone counted all those Dartmoor ponies?

• RMweb Premium

I think Gwiver is probably the furthest exhibitor, c12,000 miles...

It's of no great consequence but I do currently claim the record for distance travelled to attend and exhibit at Taunton at about 12000 miles as Stubby says. I have always regarded this as an RMweb event with all members welcome and not confined to those who are resident in and claim affiliation to the SWAG section. I'm sorry not to be making a return visit this year (and so far as I can tell not next year either) but assuming we have a 2015 event I'll work towards having something new to bring over then

Archived