Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to point out that MY tadometer is a lot more accurate than YOUR tadometer! MINE can measure a sub atomic particle's wotsits, compared to which a gnat's wotsits are positively gargantuan! Seriously, though, I was comparing Andy Y's photos above with the link posted by Mikkel on page 1 of this thread.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60790501@N04/5809232761/

This makes the Bachmann smokebox look as though it is projecting a bit more than a tad - however accurate your tadometer is, at least to my mind! 

However, I take on board all of you who have made the point that it is still a well detailed model, particularly Brinkley's comment about the improvement in the smokebox door. Putting my tadometer aside for a moment, that leaves just the cab projections and the curved bunker sheet to deal with to convert the 64xx to a 74xx! Do I dare risk damaging irrepairably a rather expensive model?

David C

This one of 6430 looks a tad more pround than the one of the rusting 6412

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wrightfamilyarchives/5638891856

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that the 'Hall' or the 'Modified Hall' ?  The 'Hall' has reportedly been dropped.

I heard that too... The Bachmann Times definitely says: "GWR Hall class 4-6-0 in production" with: "GWR Modified Hall class 4-6-0 Livery Samples"

Regards

• RMweb Gold

If it can be divided into tens, then Yes; if not then No.

Hi Andrew,

That's just it. Can it be divided? 

What can you use a Tad for?

The last time I saw a Tadometer, it was in a Rivet Counter Dectector Van.....

Ian 

• RMweb Gold

Ten nats to a wotsits ten wotsits to a tad

1 inch ÷24.5 =1 tad

a smidgin is a layman's term for a wotsits. Cerca 1850's and if believed to come from the phrase small gin but the word wotsit was sometimesed used to confused the temperance movement going around at the time.

Edited by farren
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Our review sample is illustrated on Model Rail's Facebook page. Arrived just too late to make the February issue. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris.Look forward to seeing a review.

post-126-0-75852400-1421184767_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

Hi,

Regarding the 64xx, here is a nice clear photo of the smokebox and door - as you can see it is a 'Good Tad' in front of the tanks.

However the splashers are way over size and the rear fire iron support 'rings' are about 30% too large (see Tony Wrights thread for a rear photo http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/page-143post 3565) .

Tony

post-4594-0-34894300-1421243507_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-75649500-1421243581_thumb.jpg

post-4594-0-39065000-1421243599_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rail-Online
  • Like 3

Hi,

Regarding the 64xx, here is a nice clear photo of the smokebox and door - as you can see it is a 'Good Tad' in front of the tanks.

However the splashers are way over size and the rear fire iron support 'rings' are about 30% too large (see Tony Wrights thread for a rear photo http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/page-143post 3565) .

Tony

Hmmmm. Any one fancy doing a set of etches?

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium

Having waited so long for a 64xx, I can feel the anticipation / excitement rising. Hopefully as it's Bachmann we are talking about, there should be enough to go round.... 

Given they are in a container on the High Seas, is anyone monitoring the shipping app to check all the ships leaving China? lol

• RMweb Gold

Looking at that makes me start wondering if I made the right decision going for a white metal kit / high level chassis when Bachmann are making it in the livery I want....

Still at least I can get the details specific to my loco from the start, and it will be a lot more fun than just opening a box

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cotsworld I think, bought off John shortly after RMWeb live. With the intention of using with the forthcoming high level chassis and a load of archers rivet rransfers to improve on the detail.

Hopefully the chassis isn't far behind the Bachmann model and I can make a start on building....

• Like 1

Cotsworld I think, bought off John shortly after RMWeb live. With the intention of using with the forthcoming high level chassis and a load of archers rivet rransfers to improve on the detail.

Hopefully the chassis isn't far behind the Bachmann model and I can make a start on building....

I would use the Bachmann body with High Level chassis (yes, he is including new splashers) - that would also sort out the horrible oversize coupling rod bosses on the Bachmann model.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Chris said he needed to get his hands on a production model before he could progress the chassis kit...

Hi 

Should the cab plates be in cast iron on these as the real ones where, Bachamann seem to have done them in Brass?

Some sheds and works (especially Caerphilly) painted cast iron worksplates to look like brass using a sort of dull lemon yellow paint, so it is not that bad.

See cabside 3642 in the current GCRA auction catalogue  http://www.gcrauctions.com/sale187/lot206.html

Tony