RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That's Victoria Sponge, if I'm not mistaken!...

Hats off to the W.I for that one, I must say...It would be an interesting competition to find the best one of those. ........

Off for a lie down now.....

Rob

• RMweb Gold

You've actually stolen my thunder on this as I had planned on posting something new on Thursday evening.Two years, where's it gone.

Those couplings hark back to when Blondie were in their pomp the first time ! Utter crap.

• RMweb Gold

You guys seem to have better luck with pretty girl pictures than trains recently.  Is Jenny forsaken; thrown aside like an expensive Autocoach?

Brian.

Never Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask a serious question.Does anyone know the spacing for streetlights as I have these to fit on Station Approach.Modellers licence applies as a photo in the Middleton Press book doesn't shew any.

post-126-0-33422400-1426538209.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

As shown, they are probably too close...

Found this : 

In 1937 reflectors for sodium lights were introduced, throwing more of the light downwards and the Ministry of Transport issued a comprehensive set of guidelines on the positioning of street lights. These recommended (amongst other things) that single-side lighting be avoided other than on bends (road lamps mounted in the centre of the road were allowed, presumably this refers to dual carriageways), lamps on important roads carrying through traffic (in built up areas) should be about 150ft or 45m spacing, the distance between lights on either side of a road should be no more than 30ft or 9m, the light itself should be at a height of 25 ft or 7.5m and the overhang onto the road should be no more than 6ft or 2m to ensure the pavement was well lit. For side streets the suggested height of the lantern was lower at about 15ft or 4.5m and staggered lighting was recommended with a spacing of about 120 ft or 36m, special care being taken to ensure that junctions were properly lit. Having said which on one quite important local road in the 1930s the sodium lights were mounted on the existing tram wire masts, these were spaced at about 100ft intervals and the lights were on every alternate post, giving a separation of about 200ft.

From ... http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/00-app1/light.htm

Edited by Stubby47

Can I ask a serious question.Does anyone know the spacing for streetlights as I have these to fit on Station Approach.Modellers licence applies as a photo in the Middleton Press book doesn't shew any.

As shown, they are probably too close...

Your surely didn't expect a serious answer first time round? :jester:

• RMweb Gold

The documents in this link would tell you

http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/publications/standards/index.htm

Modern practice is a deal more scientific, but my reading of the standards in place in 1947 for highways would suggest a spacing between 6 to 10 times the height of your column.

If you are talking about platform spacings, 60 feet seems to be the spacing at Savernake station, selected at random from OPC An Historical Survey of GW Stations

edit to say Spook! Coombe Barton, great minds google alike

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 2

Oh yes and I'm partial to a blonde...

Probably not what you had in mind but:

post-9751-0-64109900-1426538393.jpg

Sir Robin,

I would have loved to have attended ANTB's  2nd Anniversary celebrations, as I haven't seen much high quality GWR modelling in the last 530 years. Alas circumstances have conspired against me yet again, and I have been sealed in my lead ossuary over the weekend and I won't now be able to make it to Coventry after all.

Yours etc.

Richard lll Rex etc. etc.

P.s. Do you like my new hair colour I think it suits me.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Surely as modellers we should take into consideration space available.  It would be nice to be super proto but probably we wouldn't need very many.  Same with telegraph poles.

Brian.

As road lamps you may want to 'create' a sense of perspective as well, depending on the 'view' you get with them receding or whatever.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022