A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

My memeory of street lights was that the light spread did not quite join up there seem to be a dark patch between two lamp posts.

Don

forgot to add I am refering to the early fifties which I am assuming was little different to 1947 certainly the lamposts were all pre-war gas lamps around our streets.

Edited by Donw

• RMweb Gold

........ would suggest a spacing between 6 to 10 times the height of your column.

I have no words........

• RMweb Gold

The spacing in urban areas used to be around 200 feet (that also meant there was a 30mph speed limit on the road) and that sounds about right for the old electric street lamps round here.  As Don said there were distinct dark areas between the bits illuminated by the lamps - as no doubt many a young lady would testify ;)

• RMweb Gold

I think if I measure the road length and divide by six lamps I'll see what spacing we get and take it from there.I can always not use all six lamps.

I think if I measure the road length and divide by six lamps I'll see what spacing we get and take it from there.I can always not use all six lamps.

Shouldn't that be divided by 7? i.e. for 7 "spaces" separated by 6 lamps.

Regards TONY

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't that be divided by 7? i.e. for 7 "spaces" separated by 6 lamps.

Regards TONY

On a positive note, 7 is a lucky number for the Chinese which should please Nee Hi, the diminutive Chinese butler to the Finching sisters, who spends so much time at the station waiting for the latest consignment of Bombay Sapphire to arrive.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

On a positive note, 7 is a lucky number for the Chinese which should please Nee Hi, the diminutive Chinese butler to the Finching sisters, who spends so much time at the station waiting for the latest consignment of Bombay Sapphire to arrive.....

Is that the 'spliff mix' they use then in their roll ups?

Quackers.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't born til '63 (child of the 60's, maaaaan) so don't remember.

You youngsters don't know you're born, strret light we never ad no street lights etc. shades of the four yorkshiremen :jester: :jester:

Don

• RMweb Gold

Is that the 'spliff mix' they use then in their roll ups?

Quackers.

Oh I do hope that was a real misunderstanding or funny as it is sacrilege to misunderstand the true nature of Bombay Sapphire (although it is but a poor, miscoloured, imitation of the delectable distillate which comes from that premises in Southside Street).

Oh I do hope that was a real misunderstanding or funny as it is sacrilege to misunderstand the true nature of Bombay Sapphire (although it is but a poor, miscoloured, imitation of the delectable distillate which comes from that premises in Southside Street).

Steph would have to take issue with that, it being her favourite tipple. Personally, I'm more of a Gordons man, Schweppes tonic, of course, and none of your slimline rubbish! I was into Beefeaters at one time, but that's probably and indictable offence!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steph would have to take issue with that, it being her favourite tipple. Personally, I'm more of a Gordons man, Schweppes tonic, of course, and none of your slimline rubbish! I was into Beefeaters at one time, but that's probably and indictable offence!

Once I'd found the Gordon's export version (with the coloured label) I became even more impressed by their product.   Years ago I used to drink gin & bitter lemon but I got rathe p*ssed on it on one occasion so I had no choice but to give up drinking it  - so I changed to gin & tonic instead.

• RMweb Premium

Once I'd found the Gordon's export version (with the coloured label) I became even more impressed by their product.   Years ago I used to drink gin & bitter lemon but I got rathe p*ssed on it on one occasion so I had no choice but to give up drinking it  - so I changed to gin & tonic instead.

Oh......that Bombay Sapphire....... :triniti:

P

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting...

You're welcome to take a seat in this whilst you wait....

post-126-0-45983500-1426625055_thumb.jpg

A proper photoshoot will be this weekend using Graham Muz's N class.

• Like 6

I hope Rob can lay on something as memorable as this for ANTB's 2nd Anniversary.

post-9751-0-49018900-1426623726_thumb.jpg

From a German postcard I won on eBay.

Almost 10 years ago to the day "Graf Zeppelin" made it's one and only visit to the South Hams to drop off a small party of well-to-do German ANTB thread followers in time for the annual "ANTBFest" celebrations, before continuing on to Rio de Janiero.

The postcard shows L.Z.127 circling impotently above Tigley Junction, although the local population did get to hear their first Maybach music.

Out of sight Tommy Traddles struggles to finish the  temporary mooring mast, as the Germans have arrived a day earlier than expected.

Footnote: I have been informed that my postcard is a complete fake and not just because of the poor German - I wonder why?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Any interference with a Beefeater is still a flogging offence......20 lashes and a rough rub with the wrong end of a raven..

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised, no shocked, that you think there's a right end of a raven.

Most definitely. ...ask another raven.

In fact, we should ask Mallard. Clearly not a raven but similar spec.I'm sure he will be able to tell us about the right end of a duck......having been caught out several times in the dark.

• RMweb Gold

I hope Rob can lay on something as memorable as this for ANTB's 2nd Anniversary.

attachicon.giftigley text (1).jpg

From a German postcard I won on eBay.

Almost 10 years ago to the day "Graf Zeppelin" made it's one and only visit to the South Hams to drop off a small party of well-to-do German ANTB thread followers in time for the annual "ANTBFest" celebrations, before continuing on to Rio de Janiero.

The postcard shows L.Z.127 circling impotently above Tigley Junction, although the local population did get to hear their first Maybach music.

Out of sight Tommy Traddles struggles to finish the  temporary mooring mast, as the Germans have arrived a day earlier than expected.

Footnote: I have been informed that my postcard is a complete fake and not just because of the poor German - I wonder why?

Jahwohl! Ich kann auf diese Weise eine billige Fahrkarte nach Deutschland kaufen.

• RMweb Gold

Jahwohl! Ich kann auf diese Weise eine billige Fahrkarte nach Deutschland kaufen.

Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist von den Aalen voll!!

Letter from Luftschiffbau Zeppelin, Friedrichshafen

Sehr beruhmt and beliebt Kapitan Kernow,

Unfortunately, due to the unsatisfactory and dangerous mooring arrangements devised by Mr Traddles, which involved tethering our beautiful airship to the rusty Water Tower at Tigley Junction, there will be no further direct cheap flights between South Brent and Friedrichshafen.

However if you still wish to visit Friedrichshafen, we have ein sonderangebot mit gutschein an exceptional offer - a London-Friedrichshafen return flight and a voucher for free GWR 1st Class rail travel between South Brent and Paddington - with prices starting from £39.

For information and bookings please apply to Hamburg-American Line, Wm.H.Muller & Co., 66-68 Haymarket, London SW1.

etc.,.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are you suggesting it was the bitter lemon that did for you?

Don