A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Understandably perhaps, nobody has noticed Rob stood to the right of the trim little craft in the horizontal stripes. Isn't he the one wearing the turquoise towel behind the break winder.....

Rob

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

Goodrington? I happen to know a chap who has recently taken up with a divorcee who lives there. He has himself just initiated divorce proceedings, on the grounds of adultery by his wife with - er - me. Over 10 years - but apparently once is enough in law.

As for the bikini-lass in the pic, well, the sad thing is she looks young enough to be my grand-daughter (I don't have kids) and the bambini are therefore young enough to be my great-grand-kids. Terrifying!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I remember Goodrington Sands in the summers of the late 50s/early 60s when the carriage sidings were stuffed with coaches and I never even bothered to look at them!

Trains would disgorge many hundreds of happy campers and goodness knows where they went?post-2326-0-12449400-1406803564.jpg

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Never mind yer spuds, what 'ee all needs is....

HALF A POUND OF SAUSAGES!!!

I think Boots are now selling Sausage Patches if you're interested ? Similar to nicotine patches but less of a health hazard for the sausage addict.

Alternatively.....try rubbing Dripping on ya chest ! :)

It doesn't look so good looking in the opposite direction

Goodrington Beach not looking too bad in these late Victorian/Edwardian postcards:

post-9751-0-24516600-1406811800.jpg

This colourised postcard features the Finchings sitting on the beach, whilst visiting friends who lived in Goodrington Cottage, which was the only building at that end of the beach at that time.

post-9751-0-42626000-1406812316.jpg

Once Goodrington started to develop as a "resort" in the late 1920s/early 1930s the Finchings couldn't stand the place, but fortunately their friends moved to Salcombe, which was much more to their liking.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here they are with their family.......post-2326-0-20147100-1406816348_thumb.jpg and this is a very sad photograph.

The paddle steamer sank on the way back to Kingsbridge and the Finching sisters were only just saved by a handsome stoker who had happened to be on deck as the unfortunate vessel turned over due to overcrowding and not allowing for the extra weight of the beer and ice cream that had been consumed in Salcombe by the men (idiots even then).

It is rumoured that the handsome stoker went missing for a couple of days before being spotted hiking awkwardly away, on the outskirts of Brent, looking very pleased with himself but grimacing with every step so it seemed. 

Our ladies looked 'flushed' for weeks and kept a low profile until after their visit to the Doctor.

The next year they went the proper way, vowing never to get involved with boats or stokers ever againpost-2326-0-92458700-1406817018.jpg

Quite moving this story.....excuse me whilst I go for some facial wipes.

Q

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A charming view with no evidence of the flatulence that was to be such a feature of the sisters latter years..

Rob

post-14122-0-00781100-1406836838.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Goodrington is like quite a few English seaside resorts that are down in heel due to holidays taken abroad.Having said that my kids albeit grown up are happy enough to sit there whilst Dad enjoys the GWR steam.Phil was talking about Happy Valley, It was heaving on Tuesday when I was there but filled with cars not coaches. Times change but at least we still have trains running to Kingswear.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Came across this archive footage of Rear Admiral Sheridan Finching-Harbottle. He served in H. M. Royal Navy from 1875 until 1919 and retired at the age of 60 as the commander of the China Station.

Known as 'Monkey' due to his short stature and unusual beard, he saw out his retirement sailing off Goodrington sands. He was often observed in his last year's being pushed about in his bath chair accompanied by his two young Malaysian nurses.

Rob.

post-14122-0-57058200-1406880794.gif

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

Phil was talking about Happy Valley, It was heaving on Tuesday when I was there but filled with cars not coaches. Times change but at least we still have trains running to Kingswear.

Yes times do change - fifty five years ago we had to rely on one of these old Regents to get about - not the worst thing in the world up top in good weather.

post-9751-0-54968100-1406913018.jpg

And a couple years later we relied on one of these brand new Atlantean "Seadogs" :

post-9751-0-42141900-1406913061.jpg

Never took a photo like this though:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26549074

The old Regent bus apparently dates from 1934, so I think it's older than the loco, but it still gets to Broadsands occasionally.

On a different point, does anyone know how the name Happy Valley comes about - I did see the sidings described Simla in one book and there was a large house called Simla, apparently bombed in the Second World War on pre-war maps of the site. Shimla, Happy Valley, Darjeeling?

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Talking of buses, I followed a very nice green single decker that they use to advertise the Greenway House attraction.Not sure what type of bus it was though.

Came across this archive footage of Rear Admiral Sheridan Finching-Harbottle. He served in H. M. Royal Navy from 1875 until 1919 and retired at the age of 60 as the commander of the China Station.

Known as 'Monkey' due to his short stature and unusual beard, he saw out his retirement sailing off Goodrington sands. He was often observed in his last year's being pushed about in his bath chair accompanied by his two young Malaysian nurses.

Rob.

I can't stop looking at the monkeys feet. They might haunt me forever.

Regards,

Stefan

• RMweb Gold

Going back to Happy Valley.I think it's due to it being near to Clennon Valley and that most of the passengers that arrived at Goodrington Sands Halt would have been holidaymakers.

Lydham Manor taking it easy past the scene of the fire.We walked up to Waterside along the cliffs and there were other cases of lineside fires along there too.Luckily for them we had a large downpour yesterday which will give them respite for a while.The railway won't bear the cost of the brigade being called either.

post-126-0-17379100-1407004854.jpg

post-126-0-34969400-1407004869.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I hope you lot don't mind me adding something new to this thread,at least from me, is this second world war vessel seen in Torquay harbour.Can anyone shed some light on what it is please.

post-126-0-96645500-1407010419.jpg

post-126-0-34084400-1407010438.jpg

post-126-0-02351700-1407010457.jpg

• Like 6

I hope you lot don't mind me adding something new to this thread,at least from me, is this second world war vessel seen in Torquay harbour.Can anyone shed some light on what it is please.

attachicon.gifDSCN3969.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3970.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3971.jpg

Probably this ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gay_Archer_(P1041).

Suspect that name has had it's day.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

A Royal Navy "Gay" class fast patrol boat - wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gay_Archer_(P1041)

Also its preservation group website:

http://www.zagreusfilms.com/Friends%20of%20HMS%20Archer%20v2.htm

David

Edit.  Cary Hill got there before me!

D.

Edited by DaveF