A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Rob's not the only person who can go on a seaside holiday to the South Hams:

The Finchings bathing at Beesands in July 1914 just before the outbreak of World War One.

Does anybody know who the "older" lady in the middle of the sisters is?

post-9751-0-81002700-1406593326.jpg

Trying to get back on topic I stumbled across this rather splendid painting of a Dean Single below Dartmoor, near South Brent, 1913

http://bp1.blogger.com/_CbwnjooteyI/R07lxAlpIRI/AAAAAAAABu8/kh9bfzOyyUw/s1600-h/LastScan+5.jpg

I thought the background looked familiar, so I googled "large" Brent Hill images. Google must be faulty as this was one of the images which came up :O

A picture of some bloke on holiday in Devon:

post-9751-0-14220900-1406595237.jpg

Back to Rob on holiday which is where I started....

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It's the time traveling woman on the left that is more interesting. Surely that is cropped trousers and not bathing bloomers?

However, the 'older woman' in between the Finchings might well be Henrietta Pussymoth, the famous circus star whose exciting performance included  big cats. She lived in Brixham for many years until her unfortunate demise during one matinee performance.

Q

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

It's the time traveling woman on the left that is more interesting. Surely that is cropped trousers and not bathing bloomers?

However, the 'older woman' in between the Finchings might well be Henrietta Pussymoth, the famous circus star whose exciting performance included  big cats. She lived in Brixham for many years until her unfortunate demise during one matinee performance.

Q

Well, I have a suspicion that it's actually Gloria Finching-Harbottle, otherwise known as 'Buddleia' to her friends, the fifth cousin, thrice removed (once by Pickfords) to the Finchings proper, an inhabitant of Owley Hall, in the lee of Ugborough Beacon and (most unfortunately for her), a relative of a certain infamous naval captain....

• RMweb Gold

Well, I have a suspicion that it's actually Gloria Finching-Harbottle, otherwise known as 'Buddleia' to her friends, the fifth cousin, thrice removed (once by Pickfords) to the Finchings proper, an inhabitant of Owley Hall, in the lee of Ugborough Beacon and (most unfortunately for her), a relative of a certain infamous naval captain....

Indeed. Gloria Finching married into the Harbottle family who had changed their name in the late 18th Century from Pugwash.

Interestingly, their household contained a number of staff including Stains the butler and Roger the kitchen boy.

The Finching- Harbottles also had a famed cook by the name of Petunia who had a number of signature dishes. In particular, Gloria was particularly fond of Petunia's Tongue in Cider.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just found this pic of a fellow modeller who thought they had re gauged their new purchase to P4 but hadn't checked the wheel set that was actually EM

post-2326-0-28551500-1406708889.jpg

Also, we thought Rob was on holiday but actually he was in France getting fit with Mr Nibbler

post-2326-0-45183200-1406708949.jpg

Great riding Rob; we who are unfit, salute you.

Q

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gloria was particularly fond of Petunia's Tongue in Cider.

Have I wandered into a different sort of forum?

I reckon it's very much in keeping for the period, that's a classic line for one of those late Victorian / early Edwardian humorous postcards...

post-17302-0-51720600-1406714913.jpg

Al.

• Like 5

Didn't see the loco, train or fire engine in that photo for at least 5 minutes...

Yes, a very poorly executed "view blocker", as the photographer hasn't really got close enough to the bottom of things and just created a distraction.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Poor Rob......

post-2326-0-39394200-1406733994.jpg

Fortunately the brigade were able to help

post-2326-0-99870800-1406734119.jpg

and look, our enthusiast happened to be there again

post-2326-0-22672000-1406734166.jpg

I wonder if she will be at Donny tomorrow when I visit?

maybe not. I think she was waiting for this.post-2326-0-92327200-1406734340.jpg

Q

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. Gloria Finching married into the Harbottle family who had changed their name in the late 18th Century from Pugwash.

Interestingly, their household contained a number of staff including Stains the butler and Roger the kitchen boy.

The Finching- Harbottles also had a famed cook by the name of Petunia who had a number of signature dishes. In particular, Gloria was particularly fond of Petunia's Tongue in Cider.

Rob.

I think Rob really needs somebody to do him a family tree for the residents of ANTB. There must be a books-worth of 'history' written in this thread already...