RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

You deserve a beak Jim - perhaps some light duties ;)

a beak! well i have been 'running round' like a headless chicken

3 days off then back to claydon next week for a couple of days

• RMweb Gold

Errr,  I did say no more naughty engines please Jim.

Still keeps you fit.

Great photos by the way.

Andy

Yeah, its very dark around brill tunnel at 03:00!!

In the 4 years since i signed the chiltern line last night was the first time i ever had to drive the wrong direction on the bi-di line, i think the people working on haddenham station were a bit perplexed when i passed though one way, passed back through in the opposite direction on the same line then went back through again a bit later on with 2 locos on the front!

• Like 1

Yeah, its very dark around brill tunnel at 03:00!!

In the 4 years since i signed the chiltern line last night was the first time i ever had to drive the wrong direction on the bi-di line, i think the people working on haddenham station were a bit perplexed when i passed though one way, passed back through in the opposite direction on the same line then went back through again a bit later on with 2 locos on the front!

They didnt know whether you were coming or going Jim.

Morning.

I've just been out photoing the Boston steel run (with 50007 on it) and I'm wondering if there is any sort of 'practice' that we linesiders should be following, from a drivers point of view that is?

Obviously, we shouldn't be damaging property or trespassing on railway land.

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

I've just been out photoing the Boston steel run (with 50007 on it) and I'm wondering if there is any sort of 'practice' that we linesiders should be following, from a drivers point of view that is?

Obviously, we shouldn't be damaging property or trespassing on railway land.

If your on the right side of the fence, then you've nothing to worry about! ;)

The only other thing drivers don't like is anyone waving their arms around like a nutter as it can be mistaken for a danger signal and / or something is wrong.

Oh, the other point worth mentioning is that if someone IS on the wrong side of the fence, drivers or for that matter any railway staff are instructed to report it. The signaller then cautions all trains in the area and we (NR) get billed thousands in delay minutes for all the trains that were delayed by the running at caution!

Edited by Gary H

If your on the right side of the fence, then you've nothing to worry about! ;)

The only other thing drivers don't like is anyone waving their arms around like a nutter as it can be mistaken for a danger signal and / or something is wrong.

Oh, the other point worth mentioning is that if someone IS on the wrong side of the fence, drivers or for that matter any railway staff are instructed to report it. The signaller then cautions all trains in the area and we (NR) get billed thousands in delay minutes for all the trains that were delayed by the running at caution!

And I have to hop into the HiLux and trundle out to look for you and my boss ends up having long discussions about it on the following mornings telephone conference with the TOCs etc. Still looking for the plump pink topped female jogger at Little Bourton and my boss is still trying to explain to someone at NR in Birmingham that no it is not a farmers access track but the formation of the former down running loop to Cropredy that we use for vehicular access along the line. Lots of aggravation for all concerned not to mention taxpayers money. 

I noticed on another thread that Colas may be ordering a further 10 class 70's. The company clearly appears to be "going places" in terms of business, and I was wondering (a) at which other companies expense, or (b)is this just new business or, © because Jims joined the company.??

Bob

Edited by 250BOB

• RMweb Gold

my boss is still trying to explain to someone at NR in Birmingham that no it is not a farmers access track but the formation of the former down running loop to Cropredy that we use for vehicular access along the line.

its also not a pubilc footpath between the 2 foot crossings along there, had to report a couple of dog walkers/ramblers using it as a short cut in the past few years

its also not a pubilc footpath between the 2 foot crossings along there, had to report a couple of dog walkers/ramblers using it as a short cut in the past few years

I buried a dog along there once. In fairness to the people they where no where near there or even the railway when the dog ran off. Must have been an uncomfortable time when the people they where looking after the dog for returned from Tokyo.

One of our newly appointed crossing managers was a bit nervous when he realised that Cannons crossing (the more northerly of the two) led from the field that people attending Cropredy music festival camped in and spent some evenings in his van up there.

A previous year a Chiltern driver reported people stood by the crossing laughing and waving at him (no allegations of a near miss or misuse). I told control that I would attend but pointed out that appearing overly cheerful whilst on railway property was not actually an offence!. 

We have mentioned trespass from the staffs perspective but just guess how fed up a paying member of the public would be if they missed their connection after their train was delayed by trespass.

Enough of hijacking your thread, back to you Jim!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

a few pics from this week, nights again so very few pics

been up claydon this week, 66s with autoballasters, 70/56 top and tail combo

should have been on the coal tonight but i've had to go sick for a few days, last night i could barely walk due to an infection, got another doctors appointment next week and possibly hospital tests!

anyway here are the pics

56302 waiting to leave hinksey

DSCF6863.jpg

and at the other end 70806 about to start dropping rail, its actually parked in the remains of bicester town station!

DSCF6868.jpg

and after dropping the rail at 05:30 in the morning, the line passing overhead is the chiltern mainline

DSCF6874.jpg

this bit of track is currently 5mph but soon it will be a 100mph double track mainline!!

DSCF6878.jpg

and back at claydon, an into the sun shot of 56302 on the rear of the rail delivery train, 66431/66304 are sat in the loop with a train of autoballasters

DSCF6880.jpg

i bought the 70/56 combo back off last night to hinksey before heading home for an unplanned few days off recovering 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

last night i could barely walk due to an infection, got another doctors appointment next week and possibly hospital tests!

It's all that walking from one end to another on a 70.......

Get well soon.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

It's all that walking from one end to another on a 70.......

Get well soon.

Cheers,

Mick

unfortunatly it was 1000m worth of train, walking on ballast too, to top it off the train was stabled 1/4 mile from the access gate too!!

when we changed ends in the platform in banbury i was looking for a mobility wheelchair so my trainee could push me along the platform.......

imagejpg1-3.jpg