Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

I was hoping he'd not notice his coat was caught and end up dangling like a swingball

Makes me wonder why these Lads always seem to have coats with hoods or hoodies on, even in very hot weather :scratchhead: - could it be that they go out with the Intention of doing something illegal, Surely Not :no: .

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster

Well done as usual Jim, hope you had a good holiday but I have to say its good to have you back behind the view-finder! What a comment on current society - a simple post and wire fence was thought to be sufficient when I was younger than them!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Saw my first Colas locos in the flesh today at Hoo Junction on my way by Cl.395 High speed to the Chatham Show -  two Cl.70s on one side of the line and a Cl.66 and Cl.47 on the other side - just like the buses, nothing for ages and then you see four at once :O .

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a call earlier to go and rescue 6J37 at warrington bank quay which was suffering from low water, picked up 56094 from lnwr in crewe and went light engine to bank quay and dropped onto the front of the train before the booked driver took it on to chirk

88199E2E-CD6A-48F2-9939-22DFC8C07200.jpg

• Like 8

Thought I would put this here as it is a colas reference! I was at Roundham crossing (north of Oxford) this morning and I met a gentleman with his camera waiting for a couple of north bound engineering trains! however one was cancelled and they were formed into one train at Hinksey, which I suspect was then possibly delayed due to trespassers. I hope the gentleman was patient and waited though as I don't think he would have been disappointed as when I was at Aristotle Lane (south of wolvercote jn) the train went past me with one colas 66 and two colas 70s. Unfortunately I was working and could not get to my camera quick enough!

• RMweb Premium

I was out for that one as well but up at Yarnton Lane LC ,North of Wolvercote Jn. Train was 7M50 Westbury - Bescot and was 66848 with 70810 and 70809 in the consist, running about 36 late by the time it passed me.

Edit: Photo added:-

14256617558_7f5256d118_c.jpgColas 66848, 70810 and 70809 by DougieB1971, on Flickr

Edited by Banger Blue
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Had a call earlier to go and rescue 6J37 at warrington bank quay which was suffering from low water, picked up 56094 from lnwr in crewe and went light engine to bank quay and dropped onto the front of the train before the booked driver took it on to chirk

Does the rescue now mean that we can call you Thunderbird Jim?

Chees,

Mick

• Like 6

Saw them pass Peterborough this afternoon, but the 50 was leading with the 37 on the rear.

There are so many reversals en route that it's hard to keep track of which way round they'll be! Beast uploaded some pics of them en-route to Sheringham last Thursday and I quickly worked out that the 50 would be leading on arrival at Sheringham. Wrong! Duh.

Hi Jim, Could I ask what weight is the log load and does it not make a lot of difference dragging the dead loco?

Thanks  Gordon

Hi Jim, Could I ask what weight is the log load and does it not make a lot of difference dragging the dead loco?

Thanks  Gordon

• RMweb Gold

the logs are about 1200 ton, the 56 would have probably had a bit of a struggle last night up gresford bank with the 66 dit if the train was 21 wagons, not sure how many wagons it had though

anyway a few rrom earlier, noticed the 60 was on the move today so i popped down to the ETD for some piccies......

DSCF7080.jpg

c677129e-d3cd-4b61-bc5c-6885338ef11a.jpg

DSCF7082.jpg

its being named in long marsden tomorrow, i got a few pics without the bin bags over the name but i'll post them tomorrow as ive seen no reference to the name on the net yet, it was actually just about to leave the depot but i suggested covering the names up so they werent revealed before the big day tomorrow, a quick call to the big boss confirmed thats what they wanted to do! even if the bags blow off before journeys end at least it left with 'an air of mystique'!

• Like 17

the logs are about 1200 ton, the 56 would have probably had a bit of a struggle last night up gresford bank with the 66 dit if the train was 21 wagons, not sure how many wagons it had though

anyway a few rrom earlier, noticed the 60 was on the move today so i popped down to the ETD for some piccies......

DSCF7080.jpg

c677129e-d3cd-4b61-bc5c-6885338ef11a.jpg

DSCF7082.jpg

its being named in long marsden tomorrow, i got a few pics without the bin bags over the name but i'll post them tomorrow as ive seen no reference to the name on the net yet, it was actually just about to leave the depot but i suggested covering the names up so they werent revealed before the big day tomorrow, a quick call to the big boss confirmed thats what they wanted to do! even if the bags blow off before journeys end at least it left with 'an air of mystique'!

Many thanks for the info, and great pics again. Is there a great difference in the driving of the types and which do you prefer out of the classes Jim? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Each loco has its own particular traits, as well as things like different types of brakes, all air brakes but there are westinghouse, electronic brakes, pbl, dynamic etc, just have to adapt your driving to suit but they are much of a muchness really (apart from the 70)

My fave to drive are 47s, dont get them often but as they are the loco i remember most from my youth they have a fond place in my heart!

Be nice to get back on 37s though and looking forward to doing 60s very soon

• Like 1