Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

On a serious note Jim, hope you enjoyed your break and more important, that it has given your recent medical issues time to heal properly. Look forward to more of your informative photographs soon!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I used to live in west country. Been about 20 years since I've been to Paignton zoo. Do they have other locos there?

They used to have a Class 46 (Look alike) used as a spare loco some time back, not sure if its still there - The Class 37 was built by the guy that runs the Bickington Steam Railway Railway at Trago Mills, http://freespace.virgin.net/hanson.mike/Tragorailway.htm  - they have a very nice Baby Deltic type loco there - all these are 10,1/4" Gauge.

The Class 37 at Paignton used to be in an Inter City type Livery many years back, and it looked much better then - If you Google these, you will find some nice pics.

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster

i seem to remember it was BR green last time i went there in 2011

Jim, I believe it has only been in the light blue colour for a couple of years at most - The loco was built in 1995, and was out-shopped in Inter City Livery, at sometime it was repainted into BR Green livery, in which it ran for several years, its a great loco, I want one :senile:

Cheers, Bob.

I wonder how it would look in Colas colours?

Cheers,

Mick

Quite good I would think Mick - But it is a bit short maybe for that livery, It looked great in Inter-City livery, and not too bad in BR Green, but as Jim says, its a bit tacky now, but that's so it can appeal to kids I suppose - Still a great little Loco though - For anyone Interested in the Paignton Zoo Railway, there is a very good spiral bound paperback book avaliable here (No connection - I Just like his books - go to bottom of page)  http://www.scottjf.demon.co.uk/minor_railways/mronline%20publ.htm .

They also used to have a very nice Warship type loco, which has recently moved to the Hastings Miniature Railway. 

Sorry to keep on Jim, but I do like 10.1/4" + Gauge Miniature railways, there are also some very nice Westerns and Hymeks out there.

Cheers, Bob.

You know Jim, you and your veranda get about quite a bit.

If you drive for Virgin or one of the passenger TOCs you spend your days doing the same ol, same ol, but you seem to offer up new experiences every week.

Variety is the spice of life and you appear to have it by the bucketload, I know every job has it's downsides but you look to have a very satisfying job.

Back to my spreadsheet in the office without a view....

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

Nice photos,

So the good news is it's not just the model ones they like to sit on, but at least with the full size ones the hair does not get in the way!!!

DSCF7043.jpg

Kind regards

Ian

Edited by 11B
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how we can get around the problem of securing the boundary? I'll bet those lads went back the way they came in. Easy enough to use the concrete fence post and the palisade to get onto the railway, not so easy to get back.

But how to secure something to somebody else's fence to stop it being used as a step over onto the railway?

Answers on another post.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Nice photos,

So the good news is it's not just the model ones they like to sit on, but at least with the full size ones the hair does not get in the way!!!

DSCF7043.jpg

Kind regards

Ian

Re Jim's comment about the lack of hi-vis vest, if it was a ginger cat, would it be exempt!