Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Just seen that 60087 has been named 'CLIC Sargent'

great name.

wonder if colas are gonna name a 70

and here it is....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84546-colas-buys-10-class-60s-from-db-schenker/?p=1486664

got some pics of it in crewe yesterday before they bagged up the name

http://www.clicsargent.org.uk

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

One from claydon jn at 01:00 this morning!!

7D61CCDB-398C-4254-9399-A23C63BE0E91.jpg

Couple of 70 on rakes of autoballasters, there were 2 more at the other end too, illuminated by my helmet hadlight

We took a loaded rake in from hinksey and bought the empties back out, same job again tonight, by the end of the week 50% of the colas class 70 fleet will have visited claydon jn/bicester (802,804,805,807,809)

• Like 18

Cheers Phil on the cracking pics posted there

This one just says it all for me - pure mint traction

post-14408-0-80474200-1403209785.jpg

you gotta hand it too Colas for refurbishing these classics,

More so that Jim gets to drive these regular real soon and how they perform etc.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

just one from yesterday

changing ends in banbury

E2F88355-BE68-4945-9A72-62E5050EF810.jpg

last night of it tonight, claydon to hinksey with the train you can see in the first picture then shock horror on the logs to chirk on monday for a change

Edited by big jim
  • Like 17

Great pics Jim, always different and Interesting - I think we are fortunate on RMWeb to have a driver who is happy to share his photo's & experiences with us - Keep em coming.

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 1

Hi Jim, Hope I am not being to much of a pain.

Wondering why the Log and coal trains for example are not longer and pulled by more loco's like abroad?

Is the rail network just to short for longer trains?

Probably a silly question!

• Like 1

Hi Jim, Hope I am not being to much of a pain.

Wondering why the Log and coal trains for example are not longer and pulled by more loco's like abroad?

Is the rail network just to short for longer trains?

Probably a silly question!

By abroad, I presume you mean, principally, North America? Most mainland European freight trains are about the same length as UK ones- France and the UK have maximum lengths of about 750m, whilst Italy is about 400m. If the trains were much longer, then goods loops and terminal facilities would have to be rebuilt to accommodate them, a very expensive prospect in somewhere as densely populated as most of Europe. The goods loops are required to allow faster passenger services to overtake slower freights, not a problem in the USA, where passengers are minimal over most of the system. The constraints are even more notable in Italy, where over 50% of the network is on bridges/viaducts or in tunnels; rebuilding these to take longer trains would be mind-blowingly expensive.

I believe the BNSF southern Transcon is limited to a train length of 1.2miles - for the very reason Brian suggests (loop lengths). Similarly around the NYC metroplex there are only 4 routes able to take double-stacked containers (to the various port locations) because of aging infrastructure like low over-passes.

Of course whether you consider 1.2 miles as rather short depends on your viewpoint...

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

Try riding a trail bike down our cesses and you would need a pair of padded pants!

"Darling does my bum look big in these?"

"My dear it would look big in Alaska!"

No reference of course to SWMBO says he back pedalling furiously with or without padded pants.

• RMweb Gold

Try riding a trail bike down our cesses and you would need a pair of padded pants!

"Darling does my bum look big in these?"

"My dear it would look big in Alaska!"

No reference of course to SWMBO says he back pedalling furiously with or without padded pants.

As I started just as the Beeching doctrines on trackside maintenance were taking effect and there were still static gangs the cess was quite good in many places. I used to ride my Raleigh Lenton Sports bike to most of the signals between Saltley and Water Orton if I couldn't get a lift on a brake van. Going the other way towards Camp Hill was no good though, the natives dumped enough rubbish to stop trains let alone my bike.

• Like 1

......towards Camp Hill was no good though, the natives dumped enough rubbish to stop trains let alone my bike.

It hasn't changed much.

Andy

• Like 3