RMweb

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod
Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Premium

They're all 24 hours long...

Not true, every so often (2 years or so?), they add a leap second. Why, because the Earth's rotation is gradually slowing down!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

Didn't you notice that 30th June 2015 (the most recent occasion), seemed a little longer than usual?

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it ironic that the very place that fought so hard to get out of the (then) Empire is the last bastion of the Imperial system :rolleyes:

But there is a lot more to it than that. They changed the definitions to "simplify" it. Usually by rounding things off, thus creating a new standard, but using the same name. But that is nothing of course, to what they did to the language, especially spelling, by not quite getting rid of the 'u' & double letters in words like "modelling".

But there is a lot more to it than that. They changed the definitions to "simplify" it. Usually by rounding things off, thus creating a new standard, but using the same name. But that is nothing of course, to what they did to the language, especially spelling, by not quite getting rid of the 'u' & double letters in words like "modelling".

But, "modeling" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely as "modelling" !

• RMweb Gold

I'd be prepared to accept that, if it put an end to the misspelling of "gauge" as "guage".

so removing the double letters and 'Us turns OO gauge into O gage, that will go down well.

• Like 1

so removing the double letters and 'Us turns OO gauge into O gage, that will go down well.

The "OO" is not a double letter, but a double numeral (00) voiced as "oh-oh" (or double-oh), and not as in Frankie Howerd's "OO-er missis!"

Edit: Corrected misspelling of Frankie Howerd's name.

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

Joke of the Week:- the England football team.

I was then going to put "oops, wrong thread", but then again...

Are we going to combine "The Forum Jokes Thread" & "Football Focus" thread. Might same some bandwidth!

:jester:

• Like 2

He might be able to tone it down a bit :rofl:

:jester:

:punish:

(Hank B Marvin is one of my all-time guitar hero's!)

Oi! Marvin! No! Bring back my guitar strap! I knew you nicked it! That cost me forty bloody quid that did! :nono: :O

(It's not the real red strat though) :drag: