Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

Just bumping this so we can see what we're supposed to be looking for in Kev's pictures.

As near as I can see the whole centre section with battery boxes, truss rods, dynamo, etc., seems to have been glued in squint or is falling out of its own accord. Dodgy quality control would seem to be the problem.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

As near as I can see the whole centre section with battery boxes, truss rods, dynamo, etc., seems to have been glued in squint or is falling out of its own accord. Dodgy quality control would seem to be the problem.

Cheers,

David

Yes but just one corner which resulted in the whole floor/chassis twisting.

The important bit is blurred, in the foreground, of the second photo.

The under floor assembly has 4 lugs that locate into holes and act as dowels. Strong glue is then used to hold it to the underside of the vehicle floor. Very strong glue - I couldn't budge it!

Anyway, a happy outcome as the saloon was swapped today. (And I, accidentally, managed to buy a COVHOP and Single Slip.)

:) :) :)

Kev.

Cheers,

David

This is not good considering that is is the most expensive coach (RRP £59.95)  I have on order !!!!

• RMweb Gold

Does this problem with the twisted chassis only affect the BG versions (Remember the recent Class 40s) or is it across the board ????

From what I've heard it is/was a one off with me being the (un)lucky recipient!

Colour/livery doesn't come into it as the mounting, (of the under frame), is the same on all variants.

As I've said, all sorted now.

Kev.

Much improved.

The external 'ride steadiers' were cut from the plastic bogies

All 4 of mine just fell off, plugged into a couple of holes with no glue applied. Can I repeat my previous question and ask if these were unique to the saloons? And why would it need a steadier ride than the passenger coaches anyway?

Regards

Keith

Much improved.

All 4 of mine just fell off, plugged into a couple of holes with no glue applied. Can I repeat my previous question and ask if these were unique to the saloons? And why would it need a steadier ride than the passenger coaches anyway?

Regards

Keith

Because management was riding in the saloons rather than just regular punters? :devil:

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Work done for the day, I looked at the Bachmann Engineers Saloon on the shelf. It deserved a decent pair of bogies so I built it a pair.... 

attachicon.gifWEB Welded LMS bogies 2.jpg

The external 'ride steadiers' were cut from the plastic bogies and 20thou spacers were glued behind them with Mekpak before attaching them to the white metal castings with Loctite.....

attachicon.gifWEB LMS Saloon mods 1.jpg

If only someone sold bogies that good!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Larry - that's the canines sphericals!

Thanks for showing us all how.

Even those of us who hate adding buffer details (not wanting to lose the coupling) have no reason in not following your guide.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

I was looking at the book 'Diesels in the Highlands' by Andrew Vine last night. It includes two photos of an inspection saloon in the consist of railtours. On page 12 it is the first coach behind 27034 on a Glasgow - Glenfinnan special, while on page 56 it is behind 26041 on a Wick - Inverness special. The photos are dated 25th April 1981 and 24th April 1981.

And why would it need a steadier ride than the passenger coaches anyway?

Regards

Keith

People in the observation saloon would be sitting right at the front over the bogie. The ride is rougher (a lot rougher in fact) when sitting over bogie rather than in the middle of the coach.

Speaking of bogies, I talked to one of the TGVs engineers not long ago about the train crash in Spain. He said a lot of lives would have been saved if the coaches all had articulated bogies like the TGV or Eurostar. Articulated bogies increase the chances of the train remaining up right incase of a high speed derailment. Normal bogie coaches just pile into one and other and pull/push each other over.

The side control springs are indeed for a steadier ride when propelling, without them the vehicle tends to 'hunt' from side to side. Not all the saloons were fitted, some were retro-fitted later but at lest one was never fitted. The details are in Steve Banks' article.

• RMweb Gold

Of the maroon saloons, if i wanted to run one on my 'current scene' layout which would be the best one to buy to simply add yellow ends, dummy headlight etc

I know they dont run in real life anymore in this form but the model just looks sooooo nice i really need one

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Six months ago, if someone had suggested I pay £50 for a coach I'd have considered them quite insane - however this coach is very nice and makes for something quite out the ordinary...

Me too. I bit the bullet after seeing it in blue/grey. When I brought Hornby's Pullman observation car, I said to myself that this would be the most expensive coach I will ever buy.... famous last words!

I think the fact that it makes a 1 coach train and can be integrated within a normal train, made the purchase acceptable.

I don't see myself spending on coachs £50 each for a rake of 10 however. But I will be close when I get my LSWR gate set which is just 2.