SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Ah! Trafford Park and Newton Heath, fwiw, one of my relatives played in the Cheshire Senior Cup Final 1881/1882 season for Northwich Victoria against Witton Novelty and they won 4-2.

Joe Hitchen, his son, then went on to play for them in the Manchester League, Season 1904/1905-6 where he played against a team known as Newton Heath ( aka Manchester United in latter years ).

Your research prompted me to wonder whether the team ever used the railway to travel to their matches ?

I know it's out of your time period and location but thanks for the memories, as they say :)

G

• RMweb Gold

BAD A$$ Daleks

You can get some cream for that.

Black ones I expect.

Do you know, I hadn't thought of that. You're probably right.

If I'd only spent the afternoon in the bath, I might have had time to ponder that for myself.

• RMweb Premium

Too nice to spend too long up The Junction today. However, it is back to testing the various routes again to see if things are 'live' even if they appear 'dead' with the little testing gismo and spot the where I forgot to use IRJs  at points and things don't work! Off stage fortunately.

For yet another time I'm going to sing the praises of the Gaugemastyer DCC 80 Frog Switches.   A really simple and so useful device.

Visit from No 1 son last evening who has not seen the loft since a couple of bits of board were in place. He was quite impressed and hopefully next year we can share some time building scenics. He fancies having a go at the Long Footbridge........

Laters,

Phil      

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ah! Trafford Park and Newton Heath, fwiw, one of my relatives played in the Cheshire Senior Cup Final 1881/1882 season for Northwich Victoria against Witton Novelty and they won 4-2.

Joe Hitchen, his son, then went on to play for them in the Manchester League, Season 1904/1905-6 where he played against a team known as Newton Heath ( aka Manchester United in latter years ).

Your research prompted me to wonder whether the team ever used the railway to travel to their matches ?

I know it's out of your time period and location but thanks for the memories, as they say :)

G

Newton Heath probably would have as they started off with a connection to railway employment i believe.

• RMweb Gold

I see Martin Whinge is at it again that guy doesn't know when to give it a rest. :jester:

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124869-315-vs-32mm-gauge/page-4#entry2834448

• RMweb Gold

Newton Heath probably would have as they started off with a connection to railway employment i believe.

A bit more on this one - sorry it's Wiki but it does (accurately I think) bring out the railway connection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Manchester_United_F.C._(1878–1945)

This might help too

https://footballunitedblogs.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/manchester-united-history-part-one/

• RMweb Gold

Could someone kindly provide an Executive Summary about what this is all about, please?

In drawing-room parlance, STFU means simply to say nothing more, or perhaps 'keep wise counsel'. I infer that some do not regard the person in question as wise in this respect. 

Could someone kindly provide an Executive Summary about what this is all about, please?

It's all gone a bit Post-Modern for my tastes, with claim and counter claim as to the nature of reality, the radical impossibility of fixed dimensions, mythical track gauges, and shrinking coaches.  Eventually Peco will release some duff looking points, and some folk will be pleased and others won't.  In the meantime, the earth spins, and one day soon we will all die.

I get enough of that sh1te on my doctoral studies, thanks.

I'd give it a wide berth if I were you.

• RMweb Premium

It's all gone a bit Post-Modern for my tastes, with claim and counter claim as to the nature of reality, the radical impossibility of fixed dimensions, mythical track gauges, and shrinking coaches.  Eventually Peco will release some duff looking points, and some folk will be pleased and others won't.  In the meantime, the earth spins, and one day soon we will all die.

I get enough of that sh1te on my doctoral studies, thanks.

I'd give it a wide berth if I were you.

A* for that Monsewer Gerbil. May I offer you a Post Grad seat in the loft? Smells a bit iffy up there but you will see proper engines falling off the wibble wobble C75 OO FS bendy Ghandi curvy bits and many inherited vans and wagons with duff wheels and couplings.

Tikitty Boobaps  

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And more mainline action .....

I do think the sound effects work well.

An 'interesting interpretation' of 'The Junction' but it is there and it works. I quite like the second clip where the sounds, especially the first up express, are really quite good. Must be recordings that he has synced up to the train's passing; quite clever.

Thanks G.

Phil 

• Like 1

I don't know if I dare visit the Peco thread now. I might say something injudicious, like 'baboons'.

I wonder which way they'd be facing ?

Ar$e ( to coin a well known word oft used here ! )

While Mr bg has been busy finding toy train videos of the competition and various others have been doing their best to disrupt a perfectly legitimate, if you like that sort of thing, discussion on the finer points of trackwork (no pun intended!), I've been slaving over a hot scanner.  I have to confess to also having spent a considerable time on the beach yesterday in Seaton itself slaving slavering over a hot young lady with a very loose-fitting top & no accompanying support garments who insisted on repeatedly bending over in front of me to stroke my Jack Russell (and no, that isn't a euphemism!).  I almost had to ask her to stop but just couldn't bring myself to do it after considering the pleasure said young lady & Jack Russell were obviously each getting from their close encounter  .  .  .  .

Readers of a nervous or suspicious disposition should remember that Mrs DS has just been awarded the title "bionic" following a hip replacement & is presently banned from travelling in a car, except in an emergency, and from controlling an animal in a public place.  Those acting as her representatives in the latter case are, I feel, entitled to some little perks.

Anyway, enough of that & back to the topic in hand (?).

I've been loaned a few pictures of SJ in years gone and, from an entirely different source, I've also been given a small box of reference material.

The loaned pictures are all photocopies, and not very good ones, so the scans are of dubious quality,  I've no idea of the original sources so can't acknowledge - I post them here in good faith & hope that's OK.

The first 2 look familiar but I've no idea from where.

post-11812-0-50248700-1503962445_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-43762600-1503962649_thumb.jpg

The next I don't think I've seen before although it is similar to others,

post-11812-0-34040300-1503962416_thumb.jpg

These are from someone's family album

post-11812-0-87406800-1503962695_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-63413200-1503962709_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-47012200-1503962743_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-74023000-1503962756.jpg

and I think this may be as well.

post-11812-0-47052700-1503962776_thumb.jpg

Last one here is of atrocious quality but there's a DMU in the branch platform in the background so must have been taken only shortly before closure.

post-11812-0-06802300-1503963222_thumb.jpg

More to follow.

Edited by devonseasider
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

While Mr bg has been busy finding toy train videos of the competition and various others have been doing their best to disrupt a perfectly legitimate, if you like that sort of thing, discussion on the finer points of trackwork (no pun intended!), I've been slaving over a hot scanner.  I have to confess to also having spent a considerable time on the beach yesterday in Seaton itself slaving slavering over a hot young lady with a very loose-fitting top & no accompanying support garments who insisted on repeatedly bending over in front of me to stroke my Jack Russell (and no, that isn't a euphemism!).  I almost had to ask her to stop but just couldn't bring myself to do it after considering the pleasure said young lady & Jack Russell were obviously each getting from their close encounter  .  .  .  .

Readers of a nervous or suspicious disposition should remember that Mrs DS has just been awarded the title "bionic" following a hip replacement & is presently banned from travelling in a car, except in an emergency, and from controlling an animal in a public place.  Those acting as her representatives in the latter case are, I feel, entitled to some little perks.

I've been loaned a few pictures of SJ in years gone and, from an entirely different source, I've also been given a small box of reference material.

The loaned pictures are all photocopies, and not very good ones, so the scans are of dubious quality,  I've no idea of the original sources so can't acknowledge - I post them here in good faith & hope that's OK.

attachicon.gifimg012a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg013a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg011a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014a1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014b1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014c1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014d1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg015a.jpg

Last one here is of atrocious quality but there's a DMU in the branch platform in the background so must have been taken only shortly before closure.

attachicon.gifimg009a.jpg

More to follow.

The last may be atrocious in quality but it is the first one I have seen showing such good detail of the Platform 2 facing part of the Down Building. So, it is a gem thank you. Taken probably in 1964 or 1965.

The 'album' shots are also new to me and full of characters and detail. Lovely stuff.

I hope you managed to have a cold shower after your beach encounter.

Arp$£

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimg012a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg013a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg011a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014a1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014b1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014c1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg014d1.jpg

attachicon.gifimg015a.jpg

attachicon.gifimg009a.jpg

More to follow.

Graham, the like wasn't for the photos, but for the Beach Story, told so well, :nono:  :nono:  hahahah the photos were great as well though. :sungum: