SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Nothing particularly exotic, either a late 1980s Vauxhall Carlton GSI, only 44 left apparently. As for colour, carmine red with all the trimmings. Alternatively a Peugeot 309 GTI, all the benefits of the 205 GTI but with better handling and considerably rarer - definitely one to take me back to the late 80s and my motor trade years.

Wot, like this one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Vanguards-VAUXHALL-Carlton-3000-GSI-Red-Va14002a-1-43/1645411064

At £13.99 they must be selling fast.

I shouldn't have asked. My knowledge on cars is so bad, Mrs M told me to book in the car for a service. I had the registration written down in front of me so when asked for that I was prepared. It was the first question the guy from the garage asked me "What type of car is it sir?" What a daft question to ask me, so I answered him " A silver one". I didn't have a clue what type of car, honest.

So when someone says they have a "Zoomfaster XYZ trubo compressor i", my reply is sounds very nice, does it have one them hooks behind the drivers seat you can hang your jacket on?

Strangely when in the army if the gunners had stopped breaking the guns I use to help the vehicle mechanics. I was quite good at fixing Landrovers and Bedfords. I think I could still change a gear box on a series two Landrover. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Nothing particularly exotic, either a late 1980s Vauxhall Carlton GSI, only 44 left apparently. As for colour, carmine red with all the trimmings. Alternatively a Peugeot 309 GTI, all the benefits of the 205 GTI but with better handling and considerably rarer - definitely one to take me back to the late 80s and my motor trade years.

The 309 was a cracking car. We had one as an office car (not a GTI though) and were very disappointed when it was "upgraded" to a 405.

• RMweb Premium

Probably going off Regular thread posts for a couple of days due to having to use a new eye ointment for an eye infection and it just clags up my right eye. Not sure if I will be up The Junction much.
p

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Nothing particularly exotic, either a late 1980s Vauxhall Carlton GSI, only 44 left apparently. 

Back in the very late 80s we had a de-badged Lotus Carlton as a work car for a while.  It was deliberastely made to look plain and scruffy.  

Very very early one morning I was driving at high speed on an empty autobahn when a German bike copper appeared out of  nowhere and pulled me over.  He said that he had been dispatched because the Polizei didn't have any pursuit cars in the area so he got the job.

When he realized that the car was owned by HMG and was on "security plates" it all got a bit difficult for him, so he asked me to drive a little slower for the next few miles because I was about to leave the area of his jurisdiction and I would be someone else's problem.  (:

The best wheels we had was a Quattro, which had been massively "reworked".  It never saw any action because it was destroyed in acceptance trials - too much of a beast.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've been look for some time for Indian figures with turbans for my NG hill railway I finally found some foreign brand last night on fleebay

"Indian War (Kyber Pass) British Infantry" box of 50 soldiers I'll just cut the guns off and bend some limbs to make some Train Wallahs. But But But  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Back in the very late 80s we had a de-badged Lotus Carlton as a work car for a while.  It was de3liberastely made to look plain and scruffy.  

Very very early one morning I was driving at high speed on an empty autobahn when a German bike copper appeared out of  nowhere and pulled me over.  He said that he had been dispatched because the Polizei didn't have any pursuit cars in the area so he got the job.

When he realized that the car was owned by HMG and was on "security plates" it all got a bit difficult for him, so he asked me to drive a little slower for the next few miles because I was about to leave the area of his jurisdiction and I would be someone else's problem.  (:

The best wheels we had was a Quattro, which had been massively "reworked".  It never saw any action because it was destroyed in acceptance trials - too much of a beast.

Your firm had/has some unusual company cars by the nature of its business. This does sound like a corker, though!

I had occasional use of a firm's car - XHV849T, a Hillman Avenger. Sigh. It had regular visits to the Road Motor Engineer's place at Croydon for servicing, which must have been thorough, because for some years the rear exhaust mounting having broken, it was held in place by a bulldog clip applied by my boss, who drove it more often. 

• RMweb Premium

I've been look for some time for Indian figures with turbans for my NG hill railway I finally found some foreign brand last night on fleebay

"Indian War (Kyber Pass) British Infantry" box of 50 soldiers I'll just cut the guns off and bend some limbs to make some Train Wallahs. But But But  :jester:

Didn't Airfix do something similar in 1:72?

• RMweb Premium

Your firm had/has some unusual company cars by the nature of its business. This does sound like a corker, though!

I had occasional use of a firm's car - XHV849T, a Hillman Avenger. Sigh. It had regular visits to the Road Motor Engineer's place at Croydon for servicing, which must have been thorough, because for some years the rear exhaust mounting having broken, it was held in place by a bulldog clip applied by my boss, who drove it more often. 

We also had an open topped Range Rover which only I was ever allowed to drive for some odd reason.  Odd decision by Senior Management.  Luckily it had heated seats to cope with chilly days.  Hated driving it.  A tale for another day.........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It would be a lot easier to mix some Milliput and fashion a turban and beard on the head of a normal model railway figure.

The Esci figures are in too much of a fighting pose to convert to civilians.

• RMweb Gold

It would be a lot easier to mix some Milliput and fashion a turban and beard on the head of a normal model railway figure.

You've not been down Oxford Street in the January sales then...

• RMweb Premium

We found a spare office at Holbeck for our local Road Motor Engineer. In return he made sure that our cars and vans were all well looked after (in fact, it was he who got us the Peugeot 309 in the first place, as I insisted we needed a diesel so that we could drive into the Shell terminal at Hunslet East, where spark-ignition engines were prohibited).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Airfix do something similar in 1:72?

All know is they done Arabs (bedioun tribesmen)  that went with the French Foreign Legion they don't have turbans

the only other ones are the Gurkas I might be able to use some of them

Thats not a bad Idea Clive but I think it's easier to start with rag bag looking clobber just to save time & I will be using some of the helmeted figures with the helmets cut down 

and fashioned into turbans as well as actual army soldiers the fun start with sari attired ladies they are in thought mode at the moment any Idea's would be gratefully recieved.

B.U.T. Butading-Ding Charwallah

• RMweb Premium

The only time I have had access to a company car was when I worked for the National Blood Service. As a union rep I was given permission to use our then new Mondeo to go to meetings the management had arranged at the other centers across the country. All our cars were fitted out for emergency delivery of blood, two tones and blue flashing lights. It was great fun driving along the motorway, never had anyone stay in my way. Everyone on seeing a white car with blue lights on top (not flashing) in their rear view mirror seemed to slow down and move out of my way. The look of anger in some of their faces when they read "Give Blood" as was written on the rear of the car. :mosking:

Not one our ours but like ours.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

As we seem to have drifted onto the topic of company cars, the worst one I ever had the misfortune to experience was a Toyota Starlet we had in Hong Kong. For obvious climatic reasons it was fitted with engine driven air conditioning. This seemed programmed to cut in just as the traffic lights turned green..........

How we never got hit up the boot due to the sudden non acceleration I’ll never know.

Tim T

• RMweb Premium

We better be careful not to natter on too much about company cars, or the Duck will start telling tales of driving a Gaugemaster van.

Don't worry, I'm too busy trying to see out of 1.5 eyes and establish what materials I am going to use for building the 'old' Goods Shed up The Junction. I have had some useful advice today from a good friend; possible lazer cut or maybe 3D print ideas?

I have actually enjoyed a few hours today along with some sunshine and coffee with company at Idle Valley.

I have discovered where I can source Tamiya spray paint not too far away (costs over £6.00 to get it by Courier) at less cost than having it sent. I've also sketched out where the Dairy Buildings will go up The Junction along with the Up Building Canopy; that needs tailoring to suit the slightly curved shape of my platform loop. I'm looking forward to doing those things. It would be great to have a ground plan of the Dairy circa 1960, but that has never appeared despite loads of searches and requests. My version of the site will be 'a bit imaginative' in parts as it is nigh on impossible to work out what was where. The Down Building is also a bit of a mystery.

Phil

Hi Phil

thanks for today, I cannot remember if you have these further back in the thread but the NLS map site for SJ in 1890's-1910's has this, so a bit earlier than you want, but what is interesting to me is that A) there are 2 turntables behind the goods shed, B) the current void in the air photo of the present buildings is precisely the footprint of the goods shed (run mouse round one and watch the second cursor trace the route on the other), and  C) the dotted line to the SE of the shed running parallel to the line 'appears' to correspond to the wall we were discussing earlier

webref is here, this should give 1:25inch and satelite comparison if I've got it right

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=19&lat=50.7631&lon=-3.0659&layers=168&right=BingSat

Edited by 70b