Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Interesting formations. One with a buffet as the first vehicle and two with the BSK reversed.

And were you arrested when you took the photo of the bullion train?!!!

Jonathan

I don't know about being arrested, but the staff at TCFD were very keen for me to leave before it arrived; I was taking lots of detail shots of wagons there at the time. The container wagons were purpose built, using a Mk 1 coach underframe with B4 bogies. This meant that they could run at express-passenger speeds, but limited them to one container per wagon. Whilst they carried new coins and notes for distribution from the Bank of England's regional offices, the ones to Newcastle carried a seemingly less-valuable load; the Newcastle office was the one that dealt with those notes partially destroyed by fire, water, pets and small children. They would confirm whether notes were valid or not, and if they'd been presented before, and reimburse them accordingly.

Quainton is a totally different place now very tidy and busy,used to see the bullion going up and down the wcml at speed often wondered how much money on board .Hows your mum coming along hope she is well amazing how quickly they et patients up and walking nowadays.

Great ECML photos as usual, and 4 years earlier I was camped in a tent almost at that spot, in some rather inclement weather, but the sound of Deltics climbing the gradient northbound after dark made up for any discomfort.

I am taking a risk here, because there are far more expert Deltic identifiers than myself; but I think C1135 may not be D9019 because the name plate lettering does not look quite right.

May I suggest that it could be D9014?

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about being arrested, but the staff at TCFD were very keen for me to leave before it arrived; I was taking lots of detail shots of wagons there at the time. The container wagons were purpose built, using a Mk 1 coach underframe with B4 bogies. This meant that they could run at express-passenger speeds, but limited them to one container per wagon. Whilst they carried new coins and notes for distribution from the Bank of England's regional offices, the ones to Newcastle carried a seemingly less-valuable load; the Newcastle office was the one that dealt with those notes partially destroyed by fire, water, pets and small children. They would confirm whether notes were valid or not, and if they'd been presented before, and reimburse them accordingly.

Was there not a back load from Newcastle?  I'm sure it's not a state secret that De La Rue have a printing works on the Team Valley. For banknotes that is!

And how many shades of unfitted grey .......................

J1186 is a smashing pic giving more weight to the thought that there was no such colour as standard wagon grey.

Time to trot out my old favourite:

2162966903_6e39a329c5_z.jpg?zz=1R1195 - March by Bill Wright, on Flickr

The green/blue/maroon/blue grey era were fabulous days.

Mike, it's an age thing.  (The underwear problem is probably age related to ).

Nothing to do with Del La Rue on the Team Valley then? I was told this train also conveyed newly printed foreign currency South for export via Heathrow.

P

EDIT Missed NHNs comment above.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 7

Was there not a back load from Newcastle?  I'm sure it's not a state secret that De La Rue have a printing works on the Team Valley. For banknotes that is!

Not sure whether they were backloaded for De La Rue or not, but they almost certainly took notes withdrawn from circulation back to London, for disposal at the Bank's incinerator in Essex (Debden?)

• RMweb Gold

Great ECML photos as usual, and 4 years earlier I was camped in a tent almost at that spot, in some rather inclement weather, but the sound of Deltics climbing the gradient northbound after dark made up for any discomfort.

I am taking a risk here, because there are far more expert Deltic identifiers than myself; but I think C1135 may not be D9019 because the name plate lettering does not look quite right.

May I suggest that it could be D9014?

And, if I may be so bold, C1223 looks like D9017.

You could well be right about the numbers. When (if) I get time I'll have another good look at the photos and try to decide.

David 

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Love the photo's of Quainton Road, a fascinating place. The photo's of Burton le Coggles on the ECML are so nostalgic. To see those trains powering by at, presumably 100mph, will have been most exhilarating. The Deltics, in particular, make a fine sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

As always great photos dave!

Really is a wide fantastic selection of photos that youve taken over the years.

Dont suppose you ever visited billingham in teesside did you to take photos?

Only asking because its my home town.

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Gold

As always great photos dave!

Really is a wide fantastic selection of photos that youve taken over the years.

Dont suppose you ever visited billingham in teesside did you to take photos?

Only asking because its my home town.

Cheers

Ben

I know I never took photos at Billingham and I've just looked at Dad's index of locations and it seems he never went there either.

Most remiss of us both!

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave.    Interesting to see the point rodding coming out of the back of the 'box rather than the front.   Where was the down platform located? 

Bill

Hi Bill,

I assume it was diagnally opposite.

Dave,

I'd agree with both of Jonny777's suggestions, regarding C1135 being 9014 and C1223 being 9017. Additionally, J1644 is D9008.

The Gateshead nameplates make all of these fairly easy to identify for those of us "in the know" (for example, no 8's plate is positioned lower due to the depth of the crest). Enlarging C1135 makes it fairly clear that it ends in a 4, so it can only be 14 due to the style of plate.

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

I'd agree with both of Jonny777's suggestions, regarding C1135 being 9014 and C1223 being 9017. Additionally, J1644 is D9008.

The Gateshead nameplates make all of these fairly easy to identify for those of us "in the know" (for example, no 8's plate is positioned lower due to the depth of the crest). Enlarging C1135 makes it fairly clear that it ends in a 4, so it can only be 14 due to the style of plate.

Many thanks, captions amended.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Thank you for posting a fine selection of photo's from Skipton in 1967 and 1968. They bring back memories of those end of steam days. Very nostalgic, and, as has been said before, things could be fairly grotty by then. The grot, grey skies, and the sense of the inevitable, has all been so well captured by your Father in those photos. The two Jinties look as if they really are ready for scrapping, for they are so rusty!

With warmest regards,

Rob.