Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Paul,

Many thanks for the information.  It's one of Dad's photos, I've no idea where he got the information from.  Once again I was in Manchester at the time.

David

Looking through the photos again, if you Dad had records of one of his slides being a Hereford-Birmingham service then photo C1527, Hartlebury Class 117 dmu down 5th April 74 C1527, is a good contender. If the headcode is correctly set then it originated outside the LMR, and at Hartlebury that would mean the WR. The Hereford-Birmingham services used units from various WR depots because they were gangway fitted, so DMUs allocated to London, Bristol and Cardiff depot could end up being rostered on a Hereford-Birmingham service, although London & Bristol based sets were the most common. A lot of Hereford-Birmingham services went via Hartlebury, but also via the Lickey  at various times. The use of London or Bristol based sets on Hereford-Birmingham services lasted until the mid 80's when Tyseley finally started to get gangwayed sets and the timetable was recast so that the majority of the Hereford-Birmingham trains went via Stourbridge. Then most of the sets on the service came from Tyseley.

Paul J.

• Like 1

1E11 was the 12:00 Edinburgh-KX. Looking at the CWN and the Sept 71 date, the extra TSO at the front suggests either Mon 13th Sept, Thurs 16th to 30th Sept, or a Friday.

1E01 was the 08:00 Edinburgh-KX. The catering vehicle (5th coach) should be an RU but an RB the wrong way round has been substituted and will be in use as a 23 seat unclassified restaurant. There is an RMB further back for the buffet service.

1A13 was the 06:50SO summer dated Newcastle-KX. The leading coach should be a BSK according to the CWN, rather than the BCK seen.

1S14 was the 13:00 KX-Edinburgh. A Deltic is a bonus as it was normally class 47 hauled. There is an extra BFK leading coach.

C3878 looks to be the 10:20 Newcastle-KX according to the formation

Thank you so much for taking the time to scan and post the photos on this thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting effect on the side of the loco in C1459. At first sight it could be dirt, but I suspect it is just a trick of the light at a low angle.

The difference in the colour of the ballast in C1012 is also interesting. It may be that with one of them the film has deteriorated but just as likely that the lighting is completely different as there don't seem to be any shadows in C1012, or at least what there are suggest that the sun is almost overhead but occluded by cloud.

Lovely photos, all of them. When we lived in Hatfield and our daughter was a baby we used to hear the Deltics on the northbound trains open up after the slack through the station. As a result they are my favourite diesel class. It's just a pity the Gresley pacifics had to go to kmake way for them. Those were the days.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

• RMweb Gold

Looking through the photos again, if you Dad had records of one of his slides being a Hereford-Birmingham service then photo C1527, Hartlebury Class 117 dmu down 5th April 74 C1527, is a good contender. If the headcode is correctly set then it originated outside the LMR, and at Hartlebury that would mean the WR. The Hereford-Birmingham services used units from various WR depots because they were gangway fitted, so DMUs allocated to London, Bristol and Cardiff depot could end up being rostered on a Hereford-Birmingham service, although London & Bristol based sets were the most common. A lot of Hereford-Birmingham services went via Hartlebury, but also via the Lickey  at various times. The use of London or Bristol based sets on Hereford-Birmingham services lasted until the mid 80's when Tyseley finally started to get gangwayed sets and the timetable was recast so that the majority of the Hereford-Birmingham trains went via Stourbridge. Then most of the sets on the service came from Tyseley.

Paul J.

And my WTTs don't quite go that late - but in 71-72 wtt Hereford to BNS unit workings mostly ran under 2V9x headcodes

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Long may the thread continue!

On deltics, it's a pity they didn't last until the era of bolder liveries from the mid to late '80s. They'd have looked pretty good with the large logo livery

David

I'm not convinced...

Other D*lt*c liveries are available

I quite like the "original" VT one.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

After spending a fair bit of time over the last 2 weeks reading through the thread from the beginning I'm loving this, especially the High Dyke photos. Next time I visit my parents, they live about 200yds south of the branch embankment where it ran alongside Woolsthorpe by Colsterworth, I'll try and get some photos of what's left to see of the line.

Nice photo of the bridge at Hagg Bank (AKA 'The Points')- our best friends used to live in the hamlet, which had been originally constructed for railway workers. Some local legends suggested that the bridge had been a prototype for the Tyne Bridge, and/or Sydney Harbour bridge.

Please keep on posting, David- there's always something of interest. on your daily programme.

Happy New Year.

'Gan Canny'

• RMweb Premium

just to go back to C1012 in post #8716, i wonder if the Deltic is 9011?

i think only 9006, 9011 and 9019 had that kind of nameplate - two lines, but with the top line a lot shorter than the bottom line.

Of these, only 9011 seems to have carried silver buffers in 1972

(see april 1972: http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/11_8-4-72.htm , september 1972: https://www.flickr.com/photos/121196525@N07/30316708912/in/photolist-9UCxUa-dXkaGA-jJNTuS-dHN94o-nh3Rdu-NbZ4kN-CD7rn7 )

love the these pics of deltics in their prime, even when they look a bit mucky.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

Nice photo of the bridge at Hagg Bank (AKA 'The Points')- our best friends used to live in the hamlet, which had been originally constructed for railway workers. Some local legends suggested that the bridge had been a prototype for the Tyne Bridge, and/or Sydney Harbour bridge.

Please keep on posting, David- there's always something of interest. on your daily programme.

Happy New Year.

'Gan Canny'

The Grade II listed West Wylam Bridge was mentioned in a recent C5 series "Britain's Greatest Bridges" in the episode about the Tyne Bridge, when it was pointed out that it was possibly one of the first through arch bridges, (as are both the Tyne & Sydney bridges) being built in 1876 for the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway.

Pity no trains have used it since 1968.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

We'll stay in the north east for the BR photos today with a brief look at the NER line from Newcastle to Carlisle.

attachicon.gifWylam Class 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5337.jpg

Wylam Class 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5337

attachicon.gifWylam Class 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5338.jpg

Wylam Class 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5338

attachicon.gifWylam bridge over Tyne April 81 C5341.jpg

Wylam bridge over Tyne April 81 C5341

attachicon.gifBardon Mill Class 101 Newcastle to Carlisle Aug 77 C3503.jpg

Bardon Mill Class 101 Newcastle to Carlisle Aug 77 C3503

attachicon.gifDenton School crossing view east Aug 73 C1371.jpg

Denton School crossing view east Aug 73 C1371

David

David,

I love those pictures of the Newcastle and Carlisle!

Regards,

Roy

As 2016 draws to a close I'd just like to say "Thanks David" for posting all these brilliant photos over the last year. 

My personal favourites are from the LT&S and GE as they are pure nostalgia. 

I'm sure others have their own personal favourites for very similar reasons. 

Wishing you the very best in 2017 and look forward to seeing more of your photos. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Sorry to be late.

I like the latest Tanfield Railway photos. Such a lot to see.

The BR north east of England photos from Newcastle to Carlisle are excellent. The 2-car 101 DMU, if you look carefully, is in the white refurbished livery.

I look forward to next years photos with great relish. This years have been truly superb.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

As one of the many who look forward to our daily "fix", I'd like to thank you for your efforts in sharing your treasure trove of memories with us.

May I wish you a happy new year and I look forward to seeing the remaining pictures in 2017 and beyond.