Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

730626094_Carlisle156455LeedstoCarlisle24thOct90C15433.jpg.8f5bd95e33d417435184506ef5ff37c7.jpg

Carlisle 156455 Leeds to Carlisle 24th Oct 90 C15433

Pre any serious incidents, so must be due to a longer term defect, but 156455 seems to have acquired an extra vehicle, either inserted or trailing here....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Pre any serious incidents, so must be due to a longer term defect, but 156455 seems to have acquired an extra vehicle, either inserted or trailing here....

A lot of 156 units were reformed to 3-cars in the late-80s/early 90s. ScotRail did it in the summers of 1989 and 1992 with both Inverness sets used on Inverness-Aberdeen and Haymarket sets used on the West Highland.

The 156s were designed to be easily run as 3, 5, 7-car etc if needed.

Not possible now as the intermediate BSI couplers have long been replaced by fixed bars.

In fact, I've just realised DaveF's photo is Oct 1990.

For the winter of 1990-91, five 156 sets based at Neville Hill were made up as 3-car for the Settle-Carlisle.

This was due to 3-cars being the maximum that all stations on the S&C could accommodate.

By the summer of 1991, platform extensions had been completed and the five 3-car sets were remarshalled back to 2-car, as the route could now accommodate 2×2-car at all stations.

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

1784480051_Carlisle156437NewcastletoStranraerandClass108andlass31andClass47May90J10956.jpg.8ca2bb61dab0b51ecb1b77a1028169e2.jpg

Carlisle 156437 Newcastle to Stranraer and Class 108 and Class 31 and Class 47  May 90 J10956

This picture illustrates the absurdity of the government’s policy of replacing longer old trains with shorter new ones.

The Class 47 appears to be 47418.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I do have another photo of the coach as the train left, it does not have the orange "thing" in the window.

I think it is probably a reflection of the buffet sign, the coach is in the right place for it to be that.

1654941224_CarlisleRoyaltrainup30thJuly86C7734.jpg.0a316bf5e3f95f4240450af16a87caf7.jpg

Carlisle Royal train up 30th July 86 C7734

David

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

More great pictures David 

shame, they did away with white cab window surrounds on 86s, they really match blue and grey coaches well. Shame that private one is electric blue . I don't think any were that colour even the ones without yellow panels 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, TerryBewdley said:

Really like the pics of Stamford do you have any more?

I do have a few more of Stafford which will be added in due course, I think the rest may not have been on RMweb before so I will have to locate the images and caption them.  I'm not sure why they haven't been on here before.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a most excellent selection of replacement photo’s of Tinsley from January, 1979. Clearly they were taken just before the snow started in one of our worst ever winters. In C4328, with a class 08 on an eastbound freight, that ex-LMS brake van with the canvas coming away from it’s roof, reminds me just such a van on the pickup goods to Bridlington in August, 1978. I have no idea what happened to that van since I didn’t see the return working of the pickup.

The latest Carlisle photo’s are a superb set, and the last one of 156455, which is actually 156481, on a Leeds to Carlisle service, on the 24th October, 1990, shows an all too typical formation for the S&C at that time. A good friend would always exclaim: “Don’t go in the 142, it’s much too bumpy and uncomfortable. Travel in the superior 156”. He was, of course, quite right. He hated all Pacers…your excellent photo’s are bringing back many memories this evening. 😉
The replacement photo’s of Stafford from August, 1966, are all gems without exception, with J592, of class 40, D211, Mauretania, on a down freight train, being a great portrait shot of the locomotive. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jcarta said:

Morning David

C15433 is actually 156481...... I had to look twice at the photos as it got given another carriage

Regards

Many thanks Jim, I'e corrected it.

David

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Replacements today from Low Gill in 1965 and 1968.  Low Gill is on the WCML between Grayrigg and Tebay and was the junction fior the "Little North Western" line to Ingleton.

Superb. The Lune Gorge is one of my favourite places for seeing the trains go by, though from Fairmile on the other side. I'm afraid I'm not old enough to have experienced it without the M6! Many is the time I have walked under Lowgill Viaduct.

On a historical point, the Ingleton-Low Gill line was not the "little" North Western Railway, though it was that company's original proposal. Financial constraints forced it to concentrate on the Skipton-Lancaster section. The original route as far as Ingleton had been built, but the section from Clapham was closed once the Lancaster line was open. The Ingleton branch from Low Gill was built by the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway; once the viaduct at Ingleton was built, the Clapham-Ingleton section was re-opened. 

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a superb selection of replacement photo’s of Low Gill, as it was in 1965 and 1968. In J298, of a Fairburn, 2-6-4T, on a down light engine movement, in August, 1965, an excellent shot of the engine has been captured. 
The photo’s of the Severn Valley Railway, from it’s early days in 1970 and 1971, are a delightful set, with C322 at Bridgnorth, with Ivatt, 46443, on a Bridgnorth to Hampton Loade service, in September, 1970, is most excellent, with the engine producing plenty of smoke.

The black and white photo’s the of Great Northern around Nottingham, are truly superb, with JVol4025, at Basford and Bulwell, with a  J6, 64273, on a Nottingham Victoria to Pixton service, c1951, a most delightful three quarter shot of the locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1