Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@DaveF If you were at Hazelhead, you didn't yomp a few hundred yards down the line to Dunford Bridge East box and the old sorting sidings did you?  Not many pics of that location.

As far as I know I haven't any photos of there.

David

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s fantastic set of replacement photo’s of Lincoln Central with one of the GN/GE goods line. The first photo’ of Lincoln goods, with two class 31’s, with D5574 leading, on an iron ore train, in April, 1969, is a great view, and, on the left, can be seen a wagon being unloaded. I’ve not seen many photo’s of such an unloading, and it’s certainly most interesting.

The photo’s of two places beginning with the letter H, Habrough and Hazelhead Bridge are a superb selection, with C15874, of 150133, on a Cleethorpes to Newark service, on the 30th May, 1991, showing that, sadly, the box had gone by then, along with the lovely crossing gates. I recall cycling over the LC in the early ‘90’s, and recall seeing two 153’s running over the crossing at speed - perhaps empty stock.

The black and white photo’s of Bulwell Common on the Great Central are all of interest, and in JVol4101, with an unidentified class C12, propelling the Annesly Dido, c1951, I have uncovered something of a mystery about the motor fitted brake third. In Hugh Longworth’s book: Brithish Railway’s Pre-Nationalisation Coaching Stock, Volume 1, GWR & LNER, on page 389, all the brake third, GCR diagrams are to be found. Only some of the clerestory diagram, 3A2, was later on motor fitted. No diagrams, with the low roof, 3A3, 3A4, are given as motor fitted. I’m left wondering if the 3A2 conversions had the clerestory roof altered to the low roof configuration. Surely that would not make sense and incur an extra cost. Perhaps the book is missing information. If so where can it be found? That photo’ has certainly unveiled a mystery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love these b/w pics from just +/- Nationalisation.

We're all familar with so many images like that in books/on the web etc. but the fact that we know they were taken by 'someone just taking pictures' (i.e. Dave's Dad) for me, just makes them all the more remarkable at such a turbulent time in Britain's history.

The images are scratched and grainy but the fact they are a record of the 'everyday ordinary' from so long ago makes them all the more amazing.

Here's to folk like Dave and his parents recording the mundane eveyday scene - in the future it will be a goldmine! (maybe 🙂)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, keefer said:

Love these b/w pics from just +/- Nationalisation.

We're all familar with so many images like that in books/on the web etc. but the fact that we know they were taken by 'someone just taking pictures' (i.e. Dave's Dad) for me, just makes them all the more remarkable at such a turbulent time in Britain's history.

The images are scratched and grainy but the fact they are a record of the 'everyday ordinary' from so long ago makes them all the more amazing.

Here's to folk like Dave and his parents recording the mundane eveyday scene - in the future it will be a goldmine! (maybe 🙂)

Many thanks keefer for the lovely comment.  I too like looking at photos of the post war period which were taken just as a hobby, both railway and non railway.  I remember Dad telling me how difficult it was to obtain film, often it was "war surplus" of poor quality and very grainy.

I've always been very sad that I only have the prints of Dad's photos to scan, quite a lot were either contact prints or a bit less than postcard size.  Sadly most of the negatives and larger prints were lost in a house move probably about 60 years ago.  Fortunately the surviving prints were in albums and most of them have notes on the back, along with several exercise books with more details.

Dad always believed in taking photos of anything that came along, not just express passenger trains and he also liked to photograph the mundane details when there were no trains about.  After they were married Mum nearly always went out with him, so he was under no pressure to rush home after taking a couple of photos.  As many of you know from her appearances on here Mum liked trains.  For example she can be seen in a brightly coloured dress by the line in the third of the Lincoln photos yesterday.   Most of you know that she was a mathematician and at one time a turbine designer, she was also a biologist so when Dad was taking photos she would often be looking at plants and animals.

David

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Market65 said:

The black and white photo’s of Bulwell Common on the Great Central are all of interest, and in JVol4101, with an unidentified class C12, propelling the Annesly Dido, c1951, I have uncovered something of a mystery about the motor fitted brake third. In Hugh Longworth’s book: Brithish Railway’s Pre-Nationalisation Coaching Stock, Volume 1, GWR & LNER, on page 389, all the brake third, GCR diagrams are to be found. Only some of the clerestory diagram, 3A2, was later on motor fitted. No diagrams, with the low roof, 3A3, 3A4, are given as motor fitted. I’m left wondering if the 3A2 conversions had the clerestory roof altered to the low roof configuration. Surely that would not make sense and incur an extra cost. Perhaps the book is missing information. If so where can it be found? That photo’ has certainly unveiled a mystery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob, 

Some of the full firsts with the low roof as you put it (sometimes referred to as 50' london suburbans) were converted for use in motor trains. I'm away from my references at the moment, but these included, and quite possibly consisted of only,  the conversion of full firsts into locker (luggage?) composites. For example here on an OA &GB train:

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67511

Some, but not all of the motor fitted clerestories certainly also lost their roofs.

Regards,

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I just love J1003. I have a feeling that that loco was probably fairly long in the tooth even in 1967. After all, that was 22 years after BB9004 had broken the speed record.

Jonathan

They were built from 1952 to 1961, so not that long in the tooth; the last examples lasted until 2000, with similar locos at CFL lasting 5 years more. Odd to see one on a long distance passenger service; they were allegedly not that comfortable at their 120/140 kph top speed. Eurotunnel had one for about a decade, supplying 1500V 'hotel power' during commissioning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 65179 said:

Rob, 

Some of the full firsts with the low roof as you put it (sometimes referred to as 50' london suburbans) were converted for use in motor trains. I'm away from my references at the moment, but these included, and quite possibly consisted of only,  the conversion of full firsts into locker (luggage?) composites. For example here on an OA &GB train:

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67511

Some, but not all of the motor fitted clerestories certainly also lost their roofs.

Regards,

Simon

Good evening, Simon. Thank you for your reply and it’s fascinating that those conversations happened. There must have been an additional cost to remove the clerestory from the clerestory roofed brake thirds. 

Good evening, David. That’s a delightful set of photo’s of Beattock station and Elvanfoot. The last photo’ at Elvanfoot south, with two class 50s on an up express passenger train, in August, 1973, is just perfect. Just how I recall those trains before the completion of the electrification of the WCML to Glasgow on the 6th May, 1974. 
The replacement photo’s from Kilsby and Crick, on the Northampton loop of the WCML, are excellent, with the first one of a class 86, on a down service of milk and parcels, in March, 1967, showing a great view of both the train and the radio masts. 
The mixed bag of photo’s are a most excellent set and that last photo’ of Mill Lane crossing, with 4079, Pendennis Castle, climbing to Buckminster sidings, on the former British Steel line to Market Overton, beyond the end of the High Dyke branch, in March, 1974, has a tremendous display of smoke erupting high into the air from the chimney. Try reproducing that, properly, on a model. I have tried and failed!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

I  like the photo of the class 310  they were a very comfortable , quiet, and reliable class of unit  used to ride them Leighton Buzzard to Brum an enjoyable experience not like the current units .

Very comfortable for the crew too and easy to fix!

• Like 1

On 30/12/2022 at 13:25, DaveF said:

A replacement set from Kilsby and Crick on the Northampton loop of the WCML for after lunch siesta time.  One from 1967, the rest 1979.

2108438653_bKilsbyandCrickClass86downmilkandparcelsMarch67J827.jpg.6bda878b450731745a81b7d8f064d122.jpg

Kilsby and Crick Class 86 down milk and parcels March 67 J827

1720969240_bKilsbyandCrick310068EustontoBirminghamJuly79J6527.jpg.5137a1c5b19e299fa97a6542d420fd94.jpg

Kilsby and Crick 310068 Euston to Birmingham July 79 J6527

1140000918_bKilsbyandCrickClass81downlightengineJuly79J6570.jpg.135e0ed4c15d977218b8312ba139b29b.jpg

Kilsby and Crick Class 81 down light engine July 79  J6570 going away

978415015_bKilsbyandCrick25236downcoalJuly79J6571.jpg.f06224b553418ed41d04428704e39b5a.jpg

Kilsby and Crick 25236 down coal July 79 J6571

564456579_bKilsbyandCrick310083BirminghamtoEustonJuly79J6572.jpg.350c6b0878090c8600c51c6c11d4b391.jpg

Kilsby and Crick 310083 Birmingham to Euston July 79 J6572

David

If it's ok with you Dave I'd like to post the top photo on the Rugby & district facebook group, with full credit to you of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/12/2022 at 13:25, DaveF said:

A replacement set from Kilsby and Crick on the Northampton loop of the WCML

I remember the AM10's being introduced on the WCML; thank you for sharing. The first AM10 I travelled on was 053 which was on a complementary  introductory run between Bletchley and Wolverton; happy days! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

If it's ok with you Dave I'd like to post the top photo on the Rugby & district facebook group, with full credit to you of course.

That's fine.  It should be credited to "John Ford" as it is one of Dad's photos.  You add "Collection David Ford" if you wish.

David

• Thanks 1